Garber to discuss Quakes today at 2pm pt

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by yalpstel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. BlueMeanie

BlueMeanie New Member

Apr 1, 2002
    EastSIIIIDE
    Probably quite a few, especially those who weren't here long and/or have no family in the area. Most of these guys are paid peanuts, and the cost of living is presumably better there.

2. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    What's the bit about "fool me once...?"

3. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Could be...I have a friend in Houston. Loves the place, about like you would a boil on the ass.

4. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    A couple of years ago, I would have laughed at this opinion, but now I heartily agree.

5. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They're pros. They know that if they want to continue their careers they will stay with the team that they are under contract to.

The only ones I can see choosing retirement over Houston are Onstad and Chung (didn't he already announce he was going to be a coach somewhere in Colorado?)

Kinnear has lots of ties to the Bay Area, but Garber said that he will be at the press conference in Houston tomorrow. He may be the Coach of the Year, but he's only got two years as a head coach and five years total coaching experience. He can't call his own shots yet, and it's not good for his future coaching career to take a step down and go be a college coach somewhere locally.

Doyle -- good point, he may not go to Houston.

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OMG Wayne, I'll miss seeing your sometimes blue face at Quakes games!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

7. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Garber: "It is our intention to continue this soccer tradition and bring the Earthquakes back to the Bay Area with a new expansion team as early as 2007."
    Yeah. And, the road to Hell is paved with good intentions.

8. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Hell, Becky, I'm going to miss everyone. You've all become quite a bit more than casual acquaintances. Bring out the Jagerbombs, someone. :(

9. sj_quakes_fan

sj_quakes_fan Member

May 18, 2001
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The bit about losing money is ****************. The team was going to make money next year. Due to that "other" company with it's US headquarters in Portland, OR.... UGH!

10. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2007 might be way too optimistic. It could be 3 years, maybe even longer before the Quakes return to San Jose. :(

11. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    So Garber said all coaches and players under contract will move to Houston.

But what will the reality be?

Will Dom really relocate to Houston? If he does, will John Doyle go with him? They both would have to give up their local youth soccer gigs and start them up anew in Houston.

Will all the young players who make peanuts and who have ties to the Bay Area but no ties to Houston pick up and move? Or will they seek something in the A-League? Or overseas? Or something that does not involve playing soccer for a living?

Cailiff's MLS contract expired and he went overseas. Anyone else's contract expired?

With a Toronto team starting up in 2007, wouldn't this be a great year for DeRo (and Onstad?) to enjoy the overseas experience?

Will a few of the older players simply retire rather than have to pick up and move again (Onstad, Chung)?

How will Waibel rebound from his year long injury?

Will AEG seek to add players with ties to Texas to the roster to assist in the marketing effort?

Will the new GM seek to remold the team, including the roster, in his image (and will the identity of the new GM affect Dom's decision to go or to stay)?

How many 2005 Earthquakes players will actually end up seeing any playing time on opening day 2006 for the Houston team, when you factor in retirements, transfers (within MLS or to another league), moves to A-League, player loans, injuries, expiring contracts, trades, etc.?

Any predictions?

P.S. I am not wishing for Houston to have a bad year next year, but I do think by the time the dust settles, it will be a "rebuilding" year as far as the roster is concerned. (Of course, 2005 was supposed to be a "rebuilding" year for the Quakes, also. ;) )

12. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    Houston captian Wade Barrett and goalkepper Pat Onstad are schuedule to appear with new Houston franchise coach *shudder* Dominic Kinnear on the Cuty Hall steps in tomorrow's press conference...

13. tonyh01

tonyh01 Member

Nov 9, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not as far as I'm concerned. I'm focusing all of my efforts within SSV on the 2007 season.

14. UrawaRed

UrawaRed New Member

Dec 19, 2000
    Kiyose, Tokyo
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    All good questions. I, too, am wondering what the state of the team will be when April 2, 2006 rolls around. I think it will be quite a different one than the one that leaves SJ.

15. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    Another factor is if any given player is single, married and spouse has ties to a given area or spouse is the primary income earner, married with kids, married with school age kids, has a great non-soccer or non-soccer playing income which won't be there in Houston, etc.

16. cristoforo7

cristoforo7 New Member

May 14, 2003
    I am sure that if Pat Onstad is under contract with MLS for the 2006 season and he has any hope of playing for the Toronto team in 2007, he isn't going to piss MLS off by refusing to go to Houston. He and his agent might work behind the scenes for something in the next several months (loan overseas?) but until something like that actually happens, he will have to be the consummate "team player" if he wants to make it to Toronto for opening day 2007.

17. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Noe I hope DeRo and Onstadt go to Toronto

18. DotMPP

DotMPP 'Quakes fan in Stumptown

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jun 29, 2004
    SE Portland, OR
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disregard this post, I came in to late here...

19. Earthshaker

Earthshaker BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 12, 2005
    The hills above town
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is all any of us should need to hear.
    We still must believe.