Garber to discuss Quakes today at 2pm pt

Discussion in 'San Jose Earthquakes' started by yalpstel, Dec 15, 2005.

1. Oh_Teddy_Teddy

Apr 7, 2003
    Mountain View, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If this was an end run around AEG's insistance that they be part of the stadium deal, then our suspicions are confirmed.

I wonder if this broadsides SSV (the letter of intent/A's connection) or if they are involved.

Does MLSNET.com archive things like this press conference?

2. Quake87

Quake87 New Member

May 19, 2001
    San Jose
    I hope Garber isnt speaking out of his ass because he already broke my heart once with thus Houston BS; dont do it again with rumors of bringing the quakes back. If it was just getting a stadium built, then we would have it built. But its not it. ******** THIS ********.

3. sounderfan

sounderfan New Member

Apr 6, 2003
    From SEATTLE---do NOT vote for a Stadium until you HAVE owners!

4. europa1057

europa1057 New Member

Jul 24, 2002
    California
    Heh, the AP hung up on him.

5. SJSoccerFan

SJSoccerFan Member

Feb 7, 2001
    Agreed. I just don't think that Garber should dress it up as anything different. Why is he telling us about progress in the market on the day he is announcing its demise? If there is true interest, they would still be trying to get a deal to keep the team here now.

6. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll bet SVS&E didn't want a stadium in Santa Clara.

I'll bet there was a a nice piece of land ready there. But they just didn't want to do it.

San Jose screwed it up by showing interest and then backing out at the very last minute.

7. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    The Quakes will be back.

Hopefully the future reincarnation will be run by people other than the greedy worthless AEG hacks.

Hopefully they'll be a beautiful new stadum to play in, and the team the team will get to control their revenue stream instead of having to deal with the pricks at SJSU.

Perhaps 25 years from now we'll look back and say the best thing that happened to SJ soccer was getting the AEG ass-clowns outta town. That's what I hope anyway. Best case scenario.

8. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably right...but if a major sticking point in the deal was covering the operating losses while a staduim was being built, this way there are no operating losses to cover.

But, I fear you have called it.

Too damned bad. I really feel for all you dedicated Quakes fans.

Who knows...if DC doesn't get the land from the Federal govt for United's stadium (thanks to some ass hole California congressman), we may be in the same sitiation some day :mad:

9. pwave

pwave Member

Jul 28, 2004
    ValleyOfHeartsDelite
    Because if AEG didn't want control a venue and there was significant interest to keep the team here, it would have been a good business decision to keep the team here for one more year to complete the transaction. AEG's goal was not to sell the team, it was to control a venue.

10. We Were Cut

We Were Cut Member

Sep 9, 2000
    Woodland, CA
    I'm not hearing anything that would make me give a crap about mls.

It's pretty stupid to move the team this year if you want to bring another team back in two years.

AEG is stealing our players and our coaches!

Bastards!

11. SoccerMan94043

SoccerMan94043 Member+

May 29, 2003
    San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This may be a knee-jerk reaction, but I don't think I want an expansion team, in the future, here.

12. eejit

eejit Member

Jun 10, 2004
    Basically his words are a smokescreen whilst he is under pressure at this press conference.

Once he's out the door with the Quakes to Houston, San Jose will just be another also ran on the list of potential expansion cities probably having no chance of an expansion team barring some local fan winning the lottery.

13. QuakerHead

QuakerHead New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    San Jose
    That's pretty convoluted. We can just as easily say that they wanted out because they weren't able to consumate a deal. Garber's happy talk about a near deal is just a way to make nice while the door slams shut.

Maybe there will be a deal, maybe there won't but after failing in San Jose to get anything going for the last couple of years, they have weak hopes of getting anything done here. Watching the performance of local governments here, I don't blame them.

14. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    90 to 120 days to sort out an expansion for 2007...then maybe 2008...

garber blows smoke out of his a$$....

15. QuakerHead

QuakerHead New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    San Jose
    Oh, I do. But I guess that I'm just a glutton for punishment.

16. smpfi65

smpfi65 New Member

Jun 18, 2004
    BySoLeDaDsTaTePriSoN
    BIG WOW WHOOPEE DOO ! ! ! ! ! They've had success with "INTERNATIONAL MATCHES" in " THAT CITY ! ! ! " SO off they go to " THAT CITY ! ! ! " :mad:

17. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Coaches don't have to go, and don't be suprised if Kinnear is the coach of the Expansion team if there is one.

18. Nadir

Nadir New Member

Mar 29, 2005
    Campbell, CA
    This is all so depressing. Garber is putting as much of a positive spin on this as possible for football returning to the Bay Area but good God there is so much that needs to be done, even if we are to have a team again in 2007. The way things work here I am not sure how realistic that is. SSV will continue to plug way but who knows how long this may take given the realities on the ground. And then we have to start out for the first couple of years of getting whipped by everyone else.

So many cities here, so much money, so many fans, so much soccer yet nothing.

Jeez, I'm depressed.

19. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber is delusional if he thinks MLS will get anywhere close to the support from Quakes fans now than we were willing to give last week.

20. Beckham7

Beckham7 Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    Northern, California
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The Quakes have won 2 cups..Whats this garbage about them becoming like the Ravens moving and becoming chamionship teams.

21. doppelganger

doppelganger Member

Jul 6, 2001
    santa cruz, ca
    who the fvck does garber think he is? pleading to us to keep the faith and not be down on mls when they could give two sh!ts about us right now?

where is the primal scream thread?

22. IBleedTeal

IBleedTeal Member+

Jun 2, 2001
    Yves Fiat
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    LA Galaxy.
    Chivas USA.

23. Hawkeye17

Hawkeye17 DynaChick v QuakeBabe v WildKate v Chewie23

Aug 25, 1999
    Miami Vice 82
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He and/or the coaching staff can easily resign from their position(s) right now. Alas, different with the players.

24. leocal11

leocal11 Member+

Feb 7, 2005
    San Francisco
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah I do not trust this guy

25. yalpstel

yalpstel Member

Oct 12, 2000
    Bay Area, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is about the QUAKES NOT KC!!! How dare that caller.