Garber meeting with Miami faithful about MLS?

Discussion in 'Inter Miami CF' started by SoccerPrime, Dec 23, 2010.

1. Mutiny RIP

Mutiny RIP Member

Apr 15, 2006
    Bradenton, FL
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I think Striker attendances were better than Miami FC attendances, which is the more appropriate comparison.

As for why there seems to be more MLS interest in the Strikers than the Rowdies, I think that is because Miami is probably closer to having an ownership that could afford the franchise fee, and they are closer to having an adequate stadium arrangement.

The Rowdies (aka F.C. Tampa Bay), played in a baseball stadium last year and still don't know where they will play this year. Past efforts to build an SSS failed, and I have seen no real effort on that front in awhile. Moreover, it is January now and we still don't have a coach. Ugh!

2. cwgator

cwgator Member

Apr 8, 2010
    Ft. Lauderdale
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "cricket stadium is a Great Facility in a Bad Neighborhood - Keep your doors locked as you pass the SWAP SHOP.

3. drSoFlaFan

drSoFlaFan DEFEND THE FORT!

Feb 25, 2008
    Plantation, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah they did. But that doesn't mean the Strikers did poorly. The Strikers name is the ONLY thing that has ever worked in South Florida when it comes to pro soccer, and it worked well both times. That's the allure.

4. KaptPowers

KaptPowers Member

Dec 29, 2003
    Arlington, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good luck, guys. You're finally getting your audience. I hope you get a big turnout.

5. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. chichi

chichi Member

May 21, 1999
    Miami Fl
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As fans are ready to meet with Garber... Burrito, banned by bigsoccer, releases an attack on hater blogs and media while letting out a bombshell!

"Burrito just hear that Marcelo Claure, Simon Fuller and David Beckham are very interested in bringing a team to Miami. This from very credible sources."

Read more Here:

http://bit.ly/fLtEZZ

[​IMG]

7. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Isn't that old and inaccurate news?

Oh well it's BS.

8. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Wasn't he reported to be a sho-in owner of the NY Cosmos too ?

9. CShine

CShine Member

Dec 13, 2009
    Huntsville, AL
    Club:
    Rocket City United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  10. eclipse02

eclipse02 Member

Sep 20, 2009
    I like the fact that Garber pointed out 2 keys 1 find away to Unite all the supporters group in miami and 2 make noise with your D2 team and it is possible that Miami could return to MLS.

11. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I beleive your right, it is a done deal for David Beckham to be a part owner in the New York Cosmos. I also beleive the "DON" wants Beckham to use his rights to ownership on the Cosmos. Look for a huge annoucement in the next 4 to 6 weeks.

12. pb9000

pb9000 Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Lauderhill, FL
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought Becks was barred from NYC and LA.

14. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Word has it that his contact bars him from LA but not NYC.

15. SoccerPrime

SoccerPrime Moderator
    Staff Member

All of them
    Apr 14, 2003
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still, I don't see Beckham as the money man for a new team. Pele doesn't have it. Kemsley doesn't have that much left. And none of them have money like Marcelo Claure.

16. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    why would Garber Beckham to get half price expansion fee on a possibly lucrative entry to MLS? If anything Garber doesn't want Beckham to exercise his discount in NYC.

17. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For the very reason the Cosmos group is counting on the discount to offset the funds needed to built their new stadium, which is a requirement for their expansion bid. The "DON" wants the Cosmos at any cost and/or discount.

18. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not entirely sure why you think the Cosmos group plus investors would NEED that discount. They already have the money, and it's not make or break for them to get that discount. Though i'm damn sure they would like that discount, i don't think the Cosmos are willing to get into bed with Beckham if they don't want his influence on the club.
    And Garber knowing this would rather have NYC pony up the money versus getting into the league for half price.

19. Smoke & Mirrors

Jul 18, 2010
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    Point two is the one I've been trying to make all along around here. The blueprint for one of the few remaining MLS expansion slots (think we'll see a pause at 20, and then an even longer pause after 24) is clear as day for all to see: Seattle, Portland, Vancouver, Montreal. Be the "class" of D2 at the attendance gates and to a lesser degree on the field, and then if you have the right ownership group and a stadium plan ready to go, you will IMMEDIATELY get Garber's attention, especially if you're in the Southeast.

Don't know how many times I am going to have to say this - Miami will not work. Miami does not support pro soccer as the necessary levels. All of South Florida needs to embrace the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. If the support is there, Traffic or someone else could be convinced to step up, and that is the ONLY way MLS is returning to our area - the Ft. Lauderdale Strikers. So everyone who was meeting with Garber, grab all your family and friends, and come to Lockhart this year. Help us to only trail Montreal in attendance. Enjoy the rebirth of a tradition. Let's grow this fanbase to point where we get noticed. And then maybe someone will take the ball and run.

20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

It's not the discount that they need, but would welcome it. It is a known fact that Beckham's contract clearly states that his ownership rights are for the "20th franchise". The Cosmos want to be the 20th franchise. Also, it doesn't hurt that his life friend is apart of the ownership group. That is why he is important to the NY2 ownership group.

21. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have a source for the "20th Franchise"?
    I wasn't aware that was the deal. I was under the assumption, and am pretty sure actually that it's not specific to a numbered franchise he is allowed to own.

22. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Garber told us Saturday that another NYC team will be #20. He also stated that MLS will not stop at 20 teams. He did not specify how many there would eventually be, but to expect some in the SE USA - Miami is in the running if we meet his criteria.

23. Utherhimo

Utherhimo Member

Dec 28, 2006
    Oregon
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the one southern team in the mix would be ATL for now....another closed bid like #20.

there is just not enough support for sports in FLA to justify another MLS team right now...maybe after they pass 24 but that would depends on support.

this is the MLS version of REL/Pro.

24. KingsCountyFC

KingsCountyFC Member

Nov 6, 2007
    BK - NY / Louisiana
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    that's not what i meant...
    i meant where's the source for the statement that Beckham's discount on an expansion fee had to be the 20th entry into the league.

25. Antique

Antique Member

Nov 11, 2008
    the river of grass
    Club:
    Ft Lauderdale Strikers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry, but info on where the 20th franchise would go & the number of franchises seemed to be what you asked for in that post. AFAIK, Mr Beckham was not mentioned.