Garber interview

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by bazooka, Aug 1, 2002.

1. bazooka

bazooka New Member

Nov 21, 2001
    Watkinsville, GA
    There is an interview today at www.sportsbusinessdaily.com of Don Garber, it is a pay site but you can get a trial membership, some excerpts:

about companies interested in sponsoring MLS after the WC:
    "A number of computer companies, like Apple, some telecom and networking companies like Americatel and Avaya, Burger King, MasterCard, Toshiba — a dozen new companies, really."

on $$$ losses:
    "I keep reading about our $50 million a year in losses and they are nowhere near that. ... We have been able to cut our losses in half over the past two years and our losses are now minimal compared to other professional sports leagues. A big part of that was our contraction, and we also have better cost control overall. We anticipate breaking even as a league, in terms of what is required to run the league, within the next five years. We now have a more viable business to take to investors."

on Spanish language TV:
    "Our games are no longer televised in Spanish and that is a strategic decision on our part to support ESPN and ABC. However, in the future, I anticipate we will have a Spanish- language package. The problem now is that the window for Telemundo and Univision is Sunday afternoons. That really isn't a time when we think we can sell tickets."

on stadiums:
    "L.A. is online next year. We are very confident about progress being made for the New York/New Jersey team in '04. We are also making progress in North Dallas and Kansas City."

on expansion:
    "We need to be bigger than a ten-team league. Expansion is not going to happen next year; we are looking at it for 2004."

profitability of SUM:
    "Our payments (SUM purchased World Cup rights through '06 for a reported $40 million) are spread out, but SUM will make money. We hit our budget for this World Cup and we are looking for more."

2. MtMike

MtMike Member+

Nov 18, 1999
    the 417
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If true (and I see no reason why it's not), that's all good news. Break even in 5 years? possible expansion in 2004, losses half of the amount of two years ago. SUM made money-- it's a quick change of pockets from SUM to MLS. Very good stuff.

3. SCBozeman

SCBozeman Member

Jun 3, 2001
    St. Louis
    Let this be the truth. I am always worried we are a heart attack and couple of economic realities away from being league-less.

4. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Are there any significant negatives in the interview that were not quoted?

Everything above is great news, especially the new sponsors, breakeven potential, expansion and new stadiums.

5. timmy409

timmy409 Red Card

Apr 3, 2002
    Georgia
    we are the champions

6. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    If he's truthul ther i can't find any bad uin those excerpts.

7. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure he knows more than the rest of us, but I think he's blowing big puffs of smoke re the stadia info (re 2004, NJ, north Dallas, KC).

The ideal time for Spanish-tv would still be an evening game so we would still get attendance, be it Saturday or Sunday, but I'm sure Telemundo doesn't want to cut into its Saturday night programs for MLS.

8. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Thanks for the link. I registered for the free trial and can hardly believe all the attendance/ratings statistics they have for all sports.

Thanks for the great link!

9. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You guys are all wondering if all that information is "accurate" but Garber is known for painting rosy pictures while providing few facts.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Garber interview

Do they have ratings for ESPN2 Soccer Saturday?

11. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does Telefutura have anything in that slot yet?

12. notebook

notebook Member

Jun 25, 2002
    Very interesting. Thanks for the summary.

13. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This will be easy enough to check on come next season...if any of these people are involved, or if there are any new companies, then he was obviously not just making stuff up. If there's no new computer company, none of the others named, and no other new partners, then either everything fell through or he was just making stuff up.

Not bad for a league that was on its "deathbed" according to a lot of people here last January.

Hey, I thought someone said they were almost guaranteed to make a profit next year? ;)

Sunday's haven't done so poorly, actually (actually, they've done better overall than Saturdays).

This will spawn several threads in the Expansion forum, no doubt. "Looking at" will be recalled as "he guaranteed it" if there's no announcement by MLS Cup 2002.

That sounds good, doesn't it? A component of the business that makes money?

14. soccer4ever

soccer4ever New Member

Jun 1, 2001
    USA
    Re: Re: Re: Garber interview

I'm sure they do somewhere. This is a monster site. Unfortunately, archives are only available to paid subscribers.

15. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The "only" annoying thing "about sportsbusinessdaily" is that when you "get" their daily "email", while it's "chock full" of interesting "information", they feel the need to "constantly put quotes" around everything, as if they're "afraid of being accused of plagarism" or something.

Unless they "stopped" doing that since the "last time" I read it.

16. Barca_Fan2003

Barca_Fan2003 New Member

Mar 30, 2002
    Slidell, LA
    From Garber's mouth to God's ear.

17. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Garber interview

Are you comparing Sunday afternoons to Sat. afternoons or Sunday evenings to Saturday evenings?

I'm not sure a Spanish language station will give us an evening slot on either day. They probably have afternoon slots open though...

18. kenntomasch

kenntomasch Member+

Sep 2, 1999
    Out West
    Club:
    FC Tampa Bay Rowdies
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Garber interview

I haven't compared the apples to the oranges yet. Sundays overall were slightly better than Saturdays overall from 1996-2001, but there were several big events on Sundays that skewed things just a touch (and the advantage isn't much). I don't have all the game time data to do such a study, but I imagine it's out there.

But if they feel that they can't sell tickets to run-of-the-mill Sunday afternoon games, maybe they're right. In any case, I'm all about not sacrificing a potential Saturday night crowd just to get a Sunday afternoon game on hispanic TV.

19. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Garber interview

Most of the doubleheaders with national team (men and women) have been on Sundays. This alone might be enough to skew overall Sunday attendance over Saturdays. I have not checked the numbers.

Probably if Sunday afternoon was the only daytime slot each week, they would do it. But if they had Saturday afternoon on ESPN2 and Sunday afternoon on Telemundo or whatever, that would be 40% of the weekend games in unattractive ticket-selling timeslots. Actually more than 40%, since many weekends don't have a full slate of 5 games.

20. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Garber interview

Yes, this would not be desirable.

I presume the head honchos in New York know this as well.

21. GPK

GPK BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 5, 1999
    San Diego, CA
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Makes great sense....Talked about before, but nothing done. SAP on ESPN.

It can't be that difficult.

22. Kaiser

Kaiser New Member

Nov 12, 2000
    dark side of the moo
    I don't think it's ABC/ESPN with the problem here it's the cable companies. They decide to make it available. Many shows on the networks are broadcast with a SAP en espanol but my cable company does not provide that. Could be a bandwith issue.

23. goatnutsgoal

goatnutsgoal New Member

Jan 29, 2001
    On the street gettin
    Crap!!!!!!!!! show me, don't tell me again.

We have heard this how many times? I get on the soup box everytime I hear this crap. I know I want to believe but, he has cried wolf to many times. So just show me!!!!!!!!!!

24. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Show you what????????

SUM has solved a lot of the ills with the World Cup bonanza. Remember those "premium" ad buys we heard about? Those kinds of buys send sporting events into big-time profitability VERY quickly.

World Cup '06 will bring SUM premium ad rates from the get-go, and if they deliver the ratings, the money made will be HUGE. I promise.

25. The Artist

The Artist Member+

Mar 22, 1999
    Illinois
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, I'm very glad to hear we're foregoing Spanish language broadcasts to help support ESPN. Those plucky, openminded kids in Bristol deserve every last effort from MLS and its fans.