Garber Interview in its entirety

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by Lowecifer, Oct 8, 2003.

1. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    The BigSoccer Radio show is broadcasting the entire 30 minute conversation with Don Garber at 4:00 PM today.

Apparently they asked some difficult questions...

Should be interesting.

Listen here.

2. BigSoccer Radio

BigSoccer Radio New Member

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    Hope you ejoy it!

Enjoy!

Coming up next week... SEPP BLATTER!

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Missed first 15 minutes. :(

DG says amount of revenue coming into league now is most in league ever, including 1996. (Was this ticket-generating revenue only? or ALL revenue?)

4. Is there a text version? I can't listen to radio here.

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Yeah, I missed the first 15 minutes too. I hope this will be archived soon so we can listen to the interview in its entirety. Pretty please, BigSoccerRadio.

Within the context of the interview, I got the impression that it was revenue generated by tickets. He was specifically addressing attendance and that despite decreased attendance in some markets, the revenue for this year is the most ever. He mentioned that the increased price of tickets, higher number season tickets sold and control of stadia and shared concessions all contribute to the increase of revenue.

At least that's how I took it: I could be wrong though :)

6. BigSoccer Radio

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    Interview

WIll be available on demand on the website tonight or tomorrow AM.

Nick

7. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    there is another thread that linked a report of the interview which says that DG talked about a possible RULE CHANGE to allow more internationals for a club like Chivas ............. what do you think about that? i personally think it sucks!

8. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    It doesn't suck if they eliminate the OT and bring back the shootout.

I mean eliminate the OT :)

9. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    what do either of those things have to do with the amount of internationals being changed for a Chivas team?

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

can you link that thread? did they provide any more details?

i don't think any of us can comment until we know a lot more about it.

11. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    Like that has stopped your average BigSoccer poster before... :)

I think this is the article in question:

http://www.ussocceruk.com/news/?CatTypeId=2&ContentId=956

"He also pointed at a possible rule change for Vergara's squad make-up, going against many MLS general managers and officials wishes."

"However, Garber said that discussions are taking place that would allow this team to have more foreign players that the current MLS rules permit, but that the details are still being worked out."

12. BigSoccer Radio

Jul 11, 2003
    Everywhere USA
    Two Interviews

There are two interviews being talked about here.

One is a 30 minute sit down that World Soccer Weekly/BigSoccer Radio did with Don Garber Yesterday. This interview played to on BigSoccer Wednesday.

The second is from a press release regarding statements that Don Garber made today at the Honda Player of the Year Symposium. I believe that these were the comments that Chris picked up on for his piece (I may be wrong but I don't think so).

You can hear the Garber radio interview on demand tonight/tomorrow it will be available on www.worldsoccerweekly.com

Chris' piece is available at www.ussocceruk.com and I think thetrascript of Garbers speech will soon be posted on the Futbol de Primera site at http://www.laradiodelmundial.com/press.htm

13. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    How the heck do you know it sucks!?!?!?!? We haven't even seen the details for crying out loud!!!

14. Kqql

Kqql Member

Sep 22, 2003
    And the sign says at "Chivas De USA,
    " Non-Hispanic players need not apply." !

Sign ..sign sign , there are signs
    that CHIVAS DE USA will say
    " Non Hispanic players need NOT apply".

That's the only reason Garber is willing to let Chivas have more SI players than other MLS teams.

15. AriesFlame

AriesFlame New Member

Nov 28, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    There's an easy way around this, though the price may be high. All players from the CONCACAF region could be counted as domestic signings rather than internationals. This would be similar to the EPL's policy toward European talent as it concerns work permits.

16. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    Don Garber was a tool with his answer about the horns. He kept saying that MLS supporters blow the horns..... WRONG!!! MLS supporters blow the horns in musical tunes!! God damn bloody wankers blow the horns incesstantly making me want to take their horn and beat the crap out of them with it!!!!

##^#$^#$#%#%^%&&$$#

17. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    oh yea, great job with the interview boys! You two are the only media folk who ask the REAL questions!

18. inferno man

inferno man Member

Nov 26, 1999
    Texas
    That would be the sukest thing that MLS ever did. If Chivas wants all mex's then let them play in the Mexican league. I would never go see this team which means my 6 year season tickets would come to an end. As a matter of fact, I can go find something else to do period. Basketball is my other fav sport and it will do just fine. Wouldn't it just be great if the all mex's won the championship for the next six years.

19. Casper

Casper Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    New York
    Why would they win anything?

20. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah - hang on there fella. DG said they are talking about a rule change to allow Chivas to have more SI than MLS rules currently allow.

What that might mean is raising the SI limit to 5 - for ALL teams. I would be very much against one SI rule for Chivas and another for the other 10 teams - but as NOTHING has been decided, maybe we shoudl wait before we go get our panties in a wad just yet.

At the risk of taking this thread off-topic, you and all your Nazi Hornblowers friends need to go find a real cause. Those horn-blowers happen to be mostly kids. You may want to grow-up qnd accept them - MLS absolutely needs kids 10-18 in its stadiums. If they want to make noise with a horn, I say let em have at it.

Cause without them, places like Giants stadium and Arrowhead sound like a frigging morgue. Get more than 15,000 people in Giants stadium and the horns might go away.

Unreal - MLS fans bitching about other MLS fans making noise at an MLS game.

"MLS supporters blow the horns in musical tunes!!" What a pile of crap. Go blow yourself - you elitist swine.

21. Stevedm

Stevedm Red Card

Jan 19, 2000
    Chicago
    before you get your undwear in a bunch little lady why don't we find out what the details are and if it would be made the same for the entire league. The guy has done a great job running the league. Chill out and lets see what that rules are actually going to be.

22. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    well if one team was operating under different rules than the rest of the league, that's pretty ridiculous. also i for one don't thin kthat we should be raising the number of interenational spots for any team, let alone chivas.

23. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't mean to be rude here, but alot of BS posters misunderstand this, so let me correct it here.

It ain't the EPL's policy. It's the European union's policy. It's not just soccer, it's everything economic. They have freedom of movement for labor.

24. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. The equivalent relationship in terms of MLS roster rules conforming to US labor laws is that holders of green cards are not counted as foreigners.

US labor laws prohibit discrimination in hiring based on national origin for those who are considered naturalized citizens, or for permanent residents (green card holders).

Legally speaking, the only right, responsibility or privelege that a naturalized citizen of the United States does not have that a born citizen of the United States does have is the ability to become the president or vice-president of the United States.

Green card holders have a couple more restrictions...mainly that they aren't permitted to vote.

25. American40

American40 Member

Jan 9, 2003
    True that it's the European Union with the rule/law. The unfortunate outcome of the rule is the great reduction in opportunities for English 'lads' to play at the highest level in their country. The same, to a degree, would happen here in the states if that type of rule was adopted. I vote no.