Gamescom 2014

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by juventino13, Aug 12, 2014.

1. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MS doesn't have nearly as many studios under it belt like Sony does, so they don't have as many console exclusives. They need to pay to get them in most cases. Sony has a bevy of studios that they own, who build games only for them.

Maybe MS should start buying up some more studios.

2. Belgian guy

Belgian guy Member+

Club Brugge
    Belgium
    Aug 19, 2002
    Belgium
    Club:
    Club Brugge KV
    LOL!

Then I must be thinking of another title.

3. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    yup pretty much. That and they get exclusivity for the sequel of what was one of the best action games of the last generation

4. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    i expect them to start doing exactly that the further into this generation we go

5. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  6. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  7. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC

this trailer is awesomesauce, hope the game can deliver

8. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    From the wording of the Tumblr post by Crystal Dynamics it looks completely exclusive to Xbox One. That is what I imterpret what was written. If so then Microsoft must have paid a substantial amount of money to get Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusive because Sony announced that it has sold 10 million Playstation 4 consoles to customers which must be much more then Xbox One. I also do not think Microsoft can be that dumb to put the game on PC either after what happenned with TitanFall, Dead Rising 3 and Ryse. There would be no point getting a Xbox One otherwise when so called exclusives are coming for the PC as well.

This is a short term move clearly influenced by the fact the Tomb Raider reboot did not match Square Enix's expectations whether those expectations were realistic or not is moot. Crystal Dynamics can use the money to fund development of the game but will narrow sales. Long term this will be a bad decision but unless we have a number on the amount Microsoft paid Crustal Dynamics I can not say for certain if this decision was the wrong decision.

I would wait for further details to come out. My personal feelings is that Microsoft are really serious or becoming desparate with the Xbox One sales situation. Rise of the Tomb Raider does not strike me as a game that is suddenly going to make people buy an Xbox One just to play it for. Interesting.

9. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Desperate with the sales situation? They're miles ahead of where they were when the 360 was released and since the price drop they've increased sales. Sales doubled the first month of the price drop. MS has corrected course and are making gains. They haven't sold the same amount as Sony, but they're fine. They need to expand into more countries, they're far behind Sony in that regard.

As for PC and Titanfall, DR3 and Ryse, TF was also PC from the start. DR3 and Ryse aren't even out on PC yet, DR3 next month and Ryse still doesn't have a date. Also, while Ryse was enjoyable for a launch day game, it was really crap compared to most games.

10. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yeah, desperate with the sales situation. The Playstation 4 is out selling the Xbox One in every territory even in the USA even with the price cut. That is pretty bad news considering the fact the Xbox 360 comfortably out sold the Playstation 3 in the USA. Let me put it this way, why does Sony only announce numbers that are sold through to customers while Microsoft only say numbers sold through to retailers? The reason is simple. Microsoft know they are not selling as much as the Playstation 4. Only a person as asinine as you would want to compare to the Xbox 360 when the market back then was completely different. The GameCube sold faster then Nintendo 64 over the first year but did it out sell the Nintendo 64 over lifetime sales? Nope. Microsoft know the situation is not good and they have to do something about it. People have migrated from the Xbox brand to the Playstation and they have to do something about it especially in their core market of the USA otherwise they will not reach the numbers of Xbox 360. Not only do they have to retain their existing consumer base but also try to coax people that never bought the Xbox 360 into buying the Xbox One.

It does not matter when they will be released. If people know that supposedly exclusive Xbox One games are going to come for the PC eventually then that diminishes the point of owning a Xbox One. You do not see Nintendo saying that Bayonetta 2 will come to PC or The Wonderful 101. You do not see titles like Resogun coming out for PC and I doubt Bloodbourne will go for PC either.

juventino13 repped this.
  11. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know you're a Sony fanboy, but MS is not as desperate as you and others want them to be. And dismissing last gen to this gen would be foolish, it's part of the reason Sony is doing better now.

As for a Sony game on PC, it's never happened before and won't now, everyone knows that. Same goes for Nintendo. As for Bayonetta 2, Nintendo is publisher and they're hoping it boosts their profile and sales. Sadly for them it will do neither. The Wii U is in major trouble.

Uppa 90 repped this.
  12. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    LOL.

I am a Sony fan boy?! Hence the reason why I bought a Xbox360 day one for £299. Or am I a Sony fanboy because I can call you out on your BS that you spout? Pick whichever because they are both applicable or are you going to attempt to strawman my arguments unsuccesfully again.

Microsoft are desperate. They are desperate to be the number 1 console. That is their objective and so is Sony's. That is how business works. Anybody with an iota of intelligance knows that. Microsoft is selling way less then Playstation 4 and they have to do something about it and are being desperate. They got to do something to stem the tide. Getting third party exclusives is one way.

I suggest you read http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/...s-generation-says-xbox-boss-phil-spencer.aspx

Sounds pretty desperate to me. Then again the words "I want to win" probably do not make much sense to you.

Exactly, putting a Sony game on PC defies the point of getting a Playstation 4. Putting so called exclusives on another platform dminishes the value of the platform which is what I said earlier. That is why I would wait for more inofrmation on how exclusive this deal is. Aaron Greenberg said that it was full exclusive when journalists said that the word around GamesCom was that Rise of the Tomb Raider was only a timed exclusive for holday 2015. No details have been announced of whether any iterative titles such as a "complete" or "definitive" edition would be exclusive. We have to wait see.

13. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your attitude towards MS since before launch has been quite negative, but congrats on buying a 360 8 years ago. But by all means continue to act all high and mighty.

As for MS wanting to be number 1, that's all businesses. Nobody is denying that they don't want to be the lead console. What's in contention here is that they're desperate because the Xbone One is a failure. It's far from being a failure. MS has made moves that should help it close the gap with the PS4 and appeal to more gamers.

Your snide remarks aside, keep getting worked up on whether a MS exclusive will come out on PC or not.

14. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    juventino13 repped this.
  15. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Is the Xbox One a failure? Well, to an extent so far yes, this is not the way Microsoft expected things to go in the early stages. Playing catch up is never easy and MS will do anything to try and wrestle back some of that market PS holds, hence this move. But the race is far from over and MS still doesn't have a reason to push the panic button, right now the caution button will do just fine

NORML repped this.
  16. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no proof yet that the moves MS has made is gonna help the One. June's sales numbers were always gonna be way bigger than Mays because of how early the price cut announcement was made. I don't think we will know if they got the console on better footing until after the holidays, if sales stay behind still 2 to 1 in the US through the Holidays, I'd say MS is in serious trouble. Weather or not I'd use the "desperate" word, I don't know. I would say they are nowhere near where they want to be and because of that I say, FU to whoever came up with the idea of focusing on everything else but games for the Xbox One launch. What a stupid, stupid, stupid, move.

17. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MS pushed the caution button when Mattrick "left" and Spencer was put in charge. Since then they've made a lot of changes to their strategy, and most importantly their message.

18. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Completely agree. Also I think we are all basing the Tomb Raider exclusivity from one angle, that of MS's need. When in fact the exclusivity could be very much like Titanfall was, where the developer had run out of money and MS stepped in to make sure the developers were able to complete the game. Which if that is the case, I say thanks to MS.

19. Dante

Dante Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Upstate NY
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In serious trouble how? Financially, because they're not. Despite some with misleading titles about MS losing $400 million, the fact is that actually looking at numbers they made more last fiscal year than the years prior. MS has more than doubled sales on the One than the 360 did in the first year. The fact is that the PS4 came storming out of the gates and has caught everyone by surprise in how many it sold and how quickly. The question is what will the two consoles do in their second year. This is a marathon, not a sprint.

20. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    http://kotaku.com/rise-of-the-tomb-..._source=Kotaku_Facebook&utm_medium=Socialflow

Yesterday, Microsoft dropped the first bomb of Gamescom 2014: that Rise of the Tomb Raider will be an Xbox exclusive. Except, wait. It's not.

Turns out this was yet another a case of shady corporate double-speak, and this is actually a timed exclusive. "Yes, the deal has a duration," Xbox boss Phil Spencer told Eurogamer. "I didn't buy it. I don't own the franchise."

In other words, when they said yesterday that the next big Tomb Raider game is an Xbox exclusive, what they really meant is that it'll be out first on Xbox (both 360 and One), and then it'll come later to other platforms.

Spencer wouldn't elaborate on how big of a window he paid for. "There are certain things I'm just not going to talk about because it's a business deal between us and then. Obviously the deal does have a duration. I didn't buy the IP in perpetuity."

timed exclusive, just as i thought

21. NORML

NORML Member+

Aug 9, 2002
    Lake Wobegon, MN
    Club:
    NSC Minnesota Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know I shouldn't have used "serious". I do stand by the opinion that if MS isn't able to close the almost 2-1 sales figures with the PS4, in US, after this holiday season they are in trouble. Especially after all the moves they have made since Spencer became head of the division and with what is, in my opinion, a very strong Holiday line-up. For me, if they fail to close that gap, then the xbox one's problems isn't just price, games, or Kinect, but a lose of trust, faith, support, or whatever ya call it from the gaming community. Which would be a troubling sign for the console.

22. Dills

Dills Moderator
    Staff Member

Philadelphia Union
    United States
    Jun 6, 2006
    Southampton|PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They went all-in, as it were, making this latest piece of hardware the ONE (hence the name) thing you need in your living room for all your entertainment needs. Seeing as how prevalent the non-gaming apps are/were on the X360, integrating much of that into the next generation seemed like a natural, logical step in the console's evolution.

Obviously that wasn't a successful approach ...

One can see their change in strategy as backtracking or whatnot, but I also can see it as trusting their community and taking their feedback to heart. The initial plan didn't work, they listened to their customers' wants, changed gears, tried to save fave and avoid losing (more) of the market share, and are now focusing on the gaming side of the console.

There's no way to know if something's gonna pan out unless you take a risk sometimes.

They did. It didn't. Lesson learned.

23. juventino13

juventino13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 25, 2005
    Caribbean
    Club:
    Juventus FC
  24. Taib

Taib Member+

Lazio
    Italy
    Sep 7, 2007
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Of course it was negative just like a lot of people had a negative attitude towards Microsoft because of their policies with the Xbox One. I am not going to go over it all again since it was done to death but needless to say Microsoft changed their policies because many of their OWN fans were upset or had a negative attitude. Actually it was closer to 9 years ago since I got it Christmas 2005.

No, do not strawman or take what is written out of context. You have a nasty little habit of doing that just so you can justify your points and in doing so waste everyone's time. I never said the Xbox One was a failure. Never even implied that the Xbox One was a failure. The words you found contentious was "desperate with the sales situation" which was one of the two scenerios I felt prompted Microsoft to make Rise of the Tomb Raider exclusive. That was my personal feeling and opinion and the facts are there to support that opinion so it was not an outrageous opinion.

I, even for your benefit checked Youtube and found this following video:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/X-U2g99Y8_Y?list=UUsgv2QHkT2ljEixyulzOnUQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

At the 8:00 minute mark he clearly says:

"Bags of money from Microsoft, who are so desperate because they are getting out sold by Playstation 3:1. They are getting out sold by Playstation 3:1! They are so desperate that they are going to roll up with their bags of money and they're gonna say "Tomb Raider, please make it system exclusive for the Xbox brand".

That is another person who basically said exactly what I said and even using the exact word you found contentious. Clearly I am not the only one who feels this way and therefore my opinion was valid in all regards.

I am not worked up at all. Nowhere in my initial post or anywhere am I worked up unless when it is directed at you considering the fact you want to make mountains out of molehills while I am on holiday with my wife.

Good day.

It depends on what you define as "failure". Failure in monetary terms, market share, units sold and so on. They are all different things. Microsoft are selling the Xbox One at a profit not a loss unlike the the two previous consoles they sold. Microsoft designed the Xbox One to be central living room device essentially to be the hub. Those plans have been abandoned. In the past three months they have completely changed tack in my opinion by now completely focusing on games. At the moment Microsoft has to do something to stem the tide because the Playstation 4 has started to pull away from them and in the long term that is not good. First they have to start by out selling the Playstation 4 in the USA which is traditionally where Xbox brand is strongest.

I think Microsoft will be targeting the holiday season to try and stimulate sales of the Xbox One and try to claw back market share. This is the busiest time of the year and undoubtly when most of the consoles are sold. It will be interesting to see what happens. I very much doubt the Tomb Raider announcement which Microsft has confirmed is timed exclusive will be the last one.