Gameday RB Arena Travel/Parking/Food/Drink/Hangout Thread

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Woodrow, Mar 1, 2010.

1. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No they're just saying people who actually live and pay taxes in Harrison can actually have somewhere to park when the come home from work.

2. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Wouldn't mind parking in the lots if it didn't take so long to leave them! Shame they shut down the gas station's parking the last couple games last year. Best just to cross the bridge and get postmatch pints in the Ironbound.

3. bukie2k

bukie2k Member

Mar 28, 2002
    New Jersey
    It's only going to get worse if/when the surrounding area gets developed, maybe even more so if it is more residential than commercial. Somehow it is very easy for me to believe that RBNY foolishly thought a very large majority of the folks showing up were going to use mass transit.

4. MonoLoco

MonoLoco New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    H-Town
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The Harrison Town Council meeting that was scheduled for tonight 3/1 has been postponed to Thursday 3/10 at 7pm. I suggest anyone that disagrees with this ordinance to show up and let the Mayor and Council know that you will now be taking your $$ to the Ironbound instead of spending it in Harrison.

5. MetroFever

MetroFever Member+

Jun 3, 2001
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    Anyone behind that decision should be forced to stand in line on one of their concession stands at halftime as a punishment. Most of the fans who come don't live near a PATH or subway, so it was annoying to see those Jeremy Hall commericals.

Apparently they tried to save on coughing up money on more real estate since the original plans called for about 5,000 spots and then quietly dissapeared. It was funny coming to the games with newbies just as you turn from Frank Rodgers Blvd and you see the open areas when someone would say "hey, I guess this is where they'll be building their parking lot?".

Almost all Red Bull games are played on weekends, so it wasn't about folks coming home from work. The new ordinance will cover both work nights and weekends.

If a spot was open in front of someone's home and a Red Bull fan took it, chances are they were going to be out for Saturday night anyway. Personally, I don't care since I parked in their town only once, but the sight of numerous Red Bull jerseys coming out of local streets made them realize that they were losing out on the $10 they were counting on for each car when the stadium was built, otherwise this ordinance would have been put in before last year.

6. ckyak

ckyak Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Kearny NJ
    did you get any other businesses for the Let Us Park signs? Im sure more than a few aren't happy about this since most bars and restaurants in harrison don't have parking lots but love the business that the Red Bulls brought them on game nights

7. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    As someone who used to live in a neighborhood like that, I disagree.

It's not a big deal looking or paying for parking when you're going "out with the boys". But its annoying as hell when you're coming back from running errands or whatever and just wanna get home and relax.

8. MonoLoco

MonoLoco New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    H-Town
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I live in Harrison and disagree with this ordinance. What's going to happen when the people who are currently complaining want to have a bbq on the same Saturday as a game? Their guests won't be able to park unless they get them visitor passes for the day and not everyone is going to do that. How will the town know who is parking there for RBA or attending a bbq or church on Saturday? I live between 2 churches and can't move my car on a Sunday morning, otherwise I won't find a spot when I get back. This is not going to make people park in the lots and Harrison garage, it's just means that they'll park in the Ironbound and spend their money in Newark instead of Harrison.

1 person likes this.
  9. j1mbr0wn

j1mbr0wn Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Newark, NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This hits the nail on the head. Last year, I split my season parking in Newark and Harrison, depending on where I was going to hang out before the game. I would try different restaurants and it was actually a great part of the whole game experience. But there are enough in Newark for me to spend the whole season over there, and the walk is not unreasonable. The problem I have with the parking lots and garages is not the $$, but the amount of time it takes to get out. Sure, you can come up with "solutions" to this problem, but the bottom line is this. Parking is easy enough to find in Newark, and there are lots of places to hang out before the game. Not to mention the steady stream of folks crossing the bridge before and after the game.

Harrison businesses are going to lose out here. Parking lots won't, but restaraunts and bars will.

10. Rooney20

Rooney20 Member+

Jan 8, 2007
    New York
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Never went into Harrison before the game. But do restaurants over there have lots or is it only street parking.

11. ckyak

ckyak Member

Apr 24, 2007
    Kearny NJ
    a few of them have lots (spanish pavillion, la fiamma, and mr ninos) most are on the main streets away from all of the parking lots

12. MonoLoco

MonoLoco New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    H-Town
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    La Fiamma's lot holds about 6-8 cars at the most. If you park for Mr. Nino's, there's a chance you could get towed if you car is sitting there for that long.
    Spanish Pavilion has a decent size lot and will let you park if you eat there first. Everything else is street parking. If I still lived in my old place, I would have let people park in my driveway for free. I'm working on a way to beat this ordinance if the town passes it, but till then I'll be fighting it!

13. Father Ted

Father Ted BigSoccer Supporter

Manchester United, Galway United, New York Red Bulls
    Nov 2, 2001
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Can we make a list of parking-friendly restaurants that are a walkable distance from the stadium? I've taken the train to RBA a few times but for me, driving works out better coming from CT. Last year we parked twice at the Iberia restaurant which was great.

Iberia
    La Fiamma
    Spanish Pavilion
    El Pastor

Others?

14. MonoLoco

MonoLoco New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    H-Town
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tonight is the meeting of the Harrison Town Council who will vote on the ordinance preventing anyone without a permit to park on the streets during a game at Red Bull Arena. Please come to the meeting at 7pm and voice your opposition to this ordinance. Thank you.[​IMG]

15. idriveavw

idriveavw BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 15, 2008
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    so what's the deal? was the ordinance passed?

16. SpassMacher2000

Jun 15, 2006
    I've never driven to a game but if I go on Saturday I will be forced to. I probably won't get into the area until around 6PM from upstate. Is that enough time to get through traffic and find a parking space before a game?

17. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Should be fine.

18. charlieblackmouth

Feb 8, 2009
    South Ward
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Was at Bello's on Friday and discovered that they have Smuttynose IPA on tap now. Yess

19. ausmojo

ausmojo New Member

Mar 13, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    G'day, Red Bulls fan from Australia ! Long time follower from a distance. Unfortunately my own club here just got cut by our federation so Man U and Red Bulls are all I have.

We will be in New York for the game against Colorado Rapids in May and was just wondering a few things. I have read through this thread and seems like my question is already answered but just in case anyone has anything else to add for a unique experience for an Aussie i'll ask anyway.

We're staying the President Hotel in times square (234W 48th St) so what would be the easiest way to get to the stadium ? How long should we allow for travel ? Any tips or things i MUST do on game day/night ? Best section to sit ?

I was a part of the active support group here (F Troop) so i don't mind a good chant/banners/beers but not sure my partner would be involved :rolleyes: Would ideally like to see close enough to active support and really soak in the atmosphere.

Any help would be awesome. Cheers

20. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Best way to get to the game is take the PATH train. There's a station on 33rd street near Madison Square Garden. There's a stop for Harrrison, which is right next to the stadium. PATH should take ~30 minutes. Make sure to switch trains at journal Square. Be aware the Harrison station is too small for crowds after the game, so either plan on leaving early (boo hiss) or walk on over the bridge to the Ironbound neighborhood for drinks or something to eat until the crowd dies down. There's lots of good options if you like Portugese/Spanish food.

Seating? Anywhere is fine, sightlines are good all around. Section 101 is the supporters end of the stadium, so that end of the field will have a more raucous atmosphere. The corner towards section 122 can have sun in your eyes, but i think they're all night games this year.

21. SpassMacher2000

Jun 15, 2006
    That Kitchen Nightmares show is like watching a dead horse being beaten. I used to watch the original episodes when it was just shown in the UK and then on BBC America. It is literally the same thing every episode. Restaurant is failing, Gordon comes in. The food is bland, poor quality, and the kitchen is filthy. Gordon comes up with a revolutionary idea to make the food fresh, simple, rustic, local. The kitchen becomes spotless. A relaunch is made but it fails horribly due to the overwhelming number of customers. Gordon lays down some truth. Another relaunch is made, and SUCCESS! End of Episode.

22. cthomer5000

cthomer5000 Member+

Apr 23, 2007
    Raleigh NC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    anyone?

23. MonoLoco

MonoLoco New Member

Sep 23, 2010
    H-Town
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The ordinance was passed, but you are still allowed to park at the meters in town as long as you feed them. The council said they will look into making another amendment to the ordinace that will help businesses deal with it and not lose revenue, but don't expect that to happen anytime soon. The mayor stated that 99% of residents he spoke to while campaigning in October complained about people parking in front of their homes and blocking their driveways on gameday. He didn't know the number of spaces available at RBA, he said the wrong price to park at RBA, and didn't care when told that people will just park in Newark and spend their money there instead.

My suggestions are A) find a resident and borrow their visitor pass for the day B) get here early enough and find a spot on the street at a meter (there are lots of spots a short walk away) or C) park in Kearny and walk down (it'll add about 10 minutes to the walk).

24. UpstateFan

UpstateFan Member

Apr 19, 2010
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not real suprising. The local elected officals will always listen to residents of their community in front of people from outside the community, and frankly that's appropriate.

Even when its a local business vs. local resident dispute, the residents will usually win out. Especially if the the area you are parking in is zoned residential. While your business patronage during a limited number of events during the year is appreciated, it doesn't match the annual city taxes the residents. Also people outside the community did not vote the local officials into office.

That's not to say they won't try to find the happy medium. I sit on the planning board in the city i live in, and we face parking concerns and conflicts just like this all the time. You listen to the concerns and try to find a way to mitigate the problem. But the likely mitigation in this case is going to be for you to park in the lots and decks closest to RBA where event parking is provided, and leave parking in the residential zones to the residents who live and pay taxes there.