GameCube or PS2 or Xbox??

Discussion in 'Video and Computer Games' started by FCNYC, Nov 7, 2003.

1. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Business courses also teach you about a concept called a "loss leader." Microsoft's business plan for the XBox was created with the knowledge that it would lose money on a per unit basis. Did you see the links that the XBox is actually doing better than Microsoft originally forecast?

As far as Sony not having any losses on the PS2, you're wrong. http://www.geek.com/news/geeknews/2003Jul/bga20030729021026.htm

http://news.com.com/2100-1041_3-5053568.html

And the Game Cube is in third place to the PS2 and the XBox.

I don't twist your words. I'm just asking you to clarify what you meant.

About that book - name, author and ISBN code please. And how many people have traded in their XBox for another system because of all the crashes? And what do you mean by the XBox crashes?

Thanks

2. Papa Bouba Diop

Papa Bouba Diop New Member

Oct 2, 2002
    McGill ghetto
    My Xbox has frozen up a couple of times, maybe that's what he meant, but its probably because it's been chipped and I'm running a bunch of crap on it.

3. Hecho en Mexico

Hecho en Mexico Member+

Mar 22, 2002
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    PS2

i would go with PS2, more games, it doesnt crash(for me atleast) etc

my cousin has the Xbox and it sucks big monkey balls...he has ,smackdown:here comes the pain and some racing game and they are indeed some crappy games. he recently bought fifa 2004, another weak game :D since i am more of a winning eleven capo myself..i dont know if he likes it or not.

4. SpencerNY

SpencerNY Member+

Dec 1, 2001
    Up in the skyway
    I recently had to make the tough choice of either trading in my ps2 and all its games for an xbox or keeping the ps2. I kept the ps2, but it was a hard decision. From what I've seen the graphics on the xbox are superior. Not only do they have great exclusive stuff like Halo, but they get the ps2 goodies like vice city. Top that off with the hard-drive and I'd say it should be an easy decision. Unfortunately, XBOX probably won't get winning eleven 7, which I live for. Even if xbox does get we7, it prolly won't be for us release. That was what my decision hinged on. So for me its not really that one has superior games over the other, its that both have great games exclusive to each console and I can only own one. As far as technical problems, I have never seen any problems with the ps2, unless the discs are dirty. I have known of a handfull of people with xbox disc read problems. A couple of them had them cleaned, but to no avail. Also, the controller on and xbox just don't feel natural. I don't get that feeling as if I'm one with the controller, like I do on a ps2 controller. It sure sucks missing out on halo though.

5. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    an xbox is only 149 bucks.

it is worth that just for halo alone... not to mention some other very excellent games and halo 2 coming.

6. Crewbasher

Crewbasher Member

Jul 7, 1999
    The Enemy Base
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My roommate has all 3 systems (meanwhile, I'm stuck with the Sega Genesis - which isn't all that bad, actually), so I can offer some comparisons.

GameCube - nice graphics, relatively quick loading time, and fun mutliplayer games (mario party, mario kart, super smash bros.), but the controller can be a bit awkward at times, especially for sports games.

PS2 - My choice for sports games, although the loading time can often be a real pain in the ass. The controller config. is simple and effective, so you can learn to do a one-timer or juke-step fairly easily. Plus, it has a large selection of titles, many of which are sold for about $15-$20. And of course, you can always play your old PS1 games if you want. (Tekken 3, baby... I'll drop some Eddy Gordo knowledge on you peoples.) :)

XBox - This is my personal favorite. The sports games are even pretty good on this, but availability of games hurt it. But overall, even though there aren't a whole bunch of games, the ones they have are often amazing. Ninja Gaiden, for example, is the 2nd coolest game I've played (and easily the hardest). The coolest, of course (and any guy between the ages of 12 - 30 can agree to this) is Halo. Come on, any game where you can blast your friends sky high with a Scorpion tank gets points in my book. The graphics are great, the load times are awesome, and if you take care of the system, you won't have any devastating problems. And JMMUSA, even if the system isn't making money, people will still invest in it. I mean, after all, it's friggin' HALO we're talkin' about here!

But that's just my $0.02

7. astabooty

astabooty Member

Nov 16, 2002
    China
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how bout all 3 so you don't have to run into this dilema.

9. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I love my XBOX. I have never had any "crashing" problems at all. The only problem I occasionally have is the system not being able to read the DVD/game. IT always fixes itself quickly once I reload the game.

IMO, the ONLY drawback for XBOX, is that they dont have the rights to the Grand Theft Auto series. (well, it IS coming to XBOX, but only 2 years after PS2 had it :rolleyes: )

This game single handidly kept me sane through my unemployment..

10. Benedict XVI

Benedict XVI Member

Nov 22, 1999
    Ciudad del Encanto
    Club:
    Lisburn Distillery FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i think the previous agreement that Rockstar had with Sony has been modified so that PS2 will get future GTA games first, but not exclusively, kind of like Splinter Cell was for xbox. I got the GTA double pack for xbox and it is fantastic.

So GTA:San Andreas will be out this fall (supposedly) for PS2 and then probably not until next year for xbox.

of course, Halo 2 will never come out for PS2.

one problem for xbox is the way that EA in general and EA sports in particular doesn't do a great job making xbox versions of their games. they make little attempt to maximize the games. in addition, the controls for EA sports games are very much maximized for PS2 and are a little weird for xbox.

all in all, i enjoy my xbox very much.

11. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Are there mod chips out there that will let you play PS2 games on the XBox?

12. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I doubt it... I have a emulator that allows you to play almost every nintendo game (and other systems too) on your PC.. It has over 1000 games, inlcuding the classics (super Mario, all the Zeldas, etc) in case you are interested...

PM me if you want it ...

WARNING: YOUR WORK PRODUCTIVITY WILL PLUMMET

13. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, I've heard of that, and I've also heard you can burn a disc of 700 games or something and play it on Dreamcast. Not sure if it really works.

14. DoughMan

DoughMan New Member

May 16, 2004
    C-Town, MI
    How come no one has said anything about SOCOM II? Its like one of the best shooter/online games for the ps2. I love it. PS2 is the best in my opinion.