Gamechanger.... looks like our SD MLS messiah has arrived!!

Discussion in 'San Diego' started by marford21, Mar 6, 2015.

1. EPJr

EPJr Member+

Los Angeles FC
    United States
    Mar 21, 2009
    Richmond VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  2. Threeke

Threeke Member

Feb 26, 2016
    You mean Seidler not Altman.

I’m not sure if your comment is a reply to my last post or just a general statement.

3. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea my bad. Got the wrong guy but yes it was a reply to your last comment.

4. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So measure G won outright and now they have to deliver. At a minimum we need a football stadium (and program worthy of it) from SDSU. My hope is everything they promised comes true and SDSU becomes the crown jewel of the CSU system, with a thriving Football program and a MLS team. My fear is they decide football is too expensive, use some of the land for housing, sell the rest and we end up with an unorganized cluster of a development.

I voted for Measure G* because I am an optimist and do believe that education is the most important resource in the modern economy. But SDSU has been long on promises, some which were laughably impossible to accomplish, and short on details. And we all know where the devil resides. I hope that turns around nothing short of the future of the city is at stake.

5. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Have you not been paying attention to SDSU football?

What promises were those?

6. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pretty sure a stadium was a requirement of G. So no worries there. As for SDSU not delivering on promises? Which ones didn’t they deliver on?

7. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I have and plan on going to the game this weekend. I'm not saying it's likely that they dump football but they have some things working against them. 1) Even with the Chargers gone SDSU has not seen a major increase in attendance. Actually this year their's been a drop (assuming they are blaming it on a less sexy schedule with no Stanford or Boise) 2) They are in danger of being left without a chair if conference musical chairs starts up again, and as long as their in the Mountain West they'll be slamming against a glass ceiling that "I think" will limit their interest. Finally I think there is a major shakeup coming in College Football, actually I think we are already at the start of it. I believe the Power 5 are going to get out from under the NCAA and basically go semi-pro (or full pro). Not sure if SDSU is going to catch that train.

Now of course this is a completely glass empty scenario. Maybe they have an undefeated season, get into a New Years 6 bowl, build up attendance attract the Pac-12 and become to primary sport in San Diego. That's honestly what I hope will happen even if it means we don't get a MLS team. (I got LFC and Xolos).

But it's not a complete impossibility that State dumps football, ESPECIALLY if the building of the stadium gets held up.

The big one was the promises that they could build a stadium else where if they didn't get the land. There were a lot of laughable ideas but the one that sticks with me is expanding Balboa Stadium. Also the promise of MLS, even though they have not made an expansion bid and as of now MLS has said they are not expanding beyond 28.

Now like I said I voted for G because in the end I decided to not be a cynic and believe they can and will do what they promised. So we'll see.

8. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I could be totally wrong and actually hope I am, but my understanding was that all Measure G did was instruct the City of San Diego to sell the land to SDSU, who could then do with it what it wanted.

9. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope the measure states that the sale shall provide for various uses including a stadium. Which is legal speak for they have to build a stadium.

As for concerns SDSU will kill football or the P5 will leave the NCAA... been hearing the latter for decades and it hasn’t happened. As for attendance, it’s down a bit. But it’s still 33,414 which is good for second in the conference right behind powerhouse Boise St. And as you say that’s with no sexy opponents this year and State isn’t ranked as they were from Weeks 3-6 last year (keeping in mind 2017 was SDSU’s highest attendance in 30 years and they’d increase for 4 straight seasons with 2016 to 17 being one of the top 20 increases in D1 FB).

I don’t think they have anything to worry about. Particularly once they’re playing in the shiny new toy and not the 50 year old oversized jalopy that hasn’t had even basic maintenance work in 20 years. I mean Qualcomm’s video boards are smaller than the indoor ones at the San Diego Sports Arena.

mike4066 repped this.
  10. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    But how are those broken promises? They never had to resort to building elsewhere.

And they’ve not tried to get MLS, let’s see if they can get Stone or someone else to work with them. If not, MLS’ loss. San Diego already has a top level team anyway next town over in Tijuana.

11. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anything is possible but thats a BIG jump to dropping football. I'll be at the game also this weekend...its beerfest I couldn't resist :D

I never heard them promise MLS nor did I hear anything about Balboa Stadium (recently...I heard that ages ago but not recently). What I did hear was that they want to attract soccer to the new stadium and they want to partner with MLS but no promises.

At this point I am hopeful as well.

owian repped this.
  12. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An interpretation I heard was "They can" not "they have too", but like I said hope it's a mute point.

Agree that SDSU killing football has died off a lot since the Hoke/Long revolution and the improved economy so obviously a lot less likely than 10 years ago. But the Power 5 leaving feels more likely now than ever. The big change for me is how coaches talk about it. 10 years ago coaches and A.D's were universally against it, but now we have the stipends and some coaches openly favoring going even further. I think they've decided the cost savings of "Amateurism" isn't worth the byzantine rules of the NCAA. Plus it's only a matter of time until the courts step in and it makes sense to manage it yourself than be ordered by the court.

I heard this second hand but apparently SDSU offered to go 50/50 with the Chargers to replace the video boards at the Q. The Chargers refused, but you know staying in San Diego was always the priority of the Spanos family :rolleyes:

13. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I guess we could debate what constitutes a "promise" but their adds very much left that impression.

The Balboa one was a while ago but still sticks with me because it showed how little research had been done prior to the Chargers leaving. A five minute visual tour or a quick look at google maps would have shown anyone with a brain that expanding Balboa to 30,000 + was a non starter. They were clearly way behind the 8 ball in terms of being ready to do anything.

And now we're giving this same group the largest and most important redevelopment of San Diego public land... possibly ever.

14. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not MLS, but it looks like Pro Soccer is coming to San Diego at long last. Though not from SoccerCity or 1904FC.

http://www.npsl.com/news/9317

Longtime NPSL member ASC San Diego and 10 other NPSL teams are forming a nationwide minor league pro league to begin play in the second half of 2019.

15. mike4066

mike4066 Member+

Jun 30, 2007
    Chula Vista, CA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought NPSL was semi-pro?

16. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is. This is a new league these 11 NPSL sides are forming that will be full pro called the Founders Cup. Think USL 2 to NPSL’s USL PDL.

mike4066 repped this.
  17. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Shall = must.

Mute = silent.

Moot = meaningless.

18. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Assuming you read the law word for word to make sure that the phrase is in the law itself and there are no other qualifiers that would nullify the "shall"?*

And by the way what was the point of your apparently "moot" post, other than to be an ***hole (the figurative not the literal). Honestly kind of wish you were "mute".

*For the record I ended up voting for it, hoping that they can now actually deliver what they promised. How did you vote?.... Oh right I see.

19. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The point was you were discussing language containing shall as not being mandatory. Which is clearly wrong.

And you misused moot/mute.

Don't get mad at me because you are too ignorant to know what basic English words mean. I am trying to save you future embarrassment by preventing you from looking/continuing to look like a dumb@$$ in the future.

Further, any arguments you try to make get diminished when the rest of your post is littered with errors that would make a 5th grader blush. It is hard for people to take you seriously when you are so obviously grammatcally challenged.

So fix it and move on. Stop looking like a dumb@$$. Stop being a dumb@$$. You're welcome.

20. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Your comments have given no value to this discussion. May I suggest that you butt out and leave this discuss to us in San Diego.

21. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Urr I don't believe that's how grammatically is spelled....

glass houses and all that.

22. athletics68

athletics68 Member+

Dec 12, 2006
    San Diego & San Jose
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  23. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I hope they have an understanding of what is required for a MLS expansion bid. Talking to people around town who supported the SDSU West plan their seemed to be a feeling that getting into MLS was easy and was just a matter of getting a stadium and paying the expansion fee, with no real understanding that MLS expansion has become really competitive. Hopefully this wasn't their thinking going into the meeting. Although MLS's silence has been noted.

24. SteveUSSF_ref8

SteveUSSF_ref8 Member+

United States
    Oct 25, 2010
    Sun City, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From this report, it seems getting the expansion rights from the FS Investors group could be an issue. I get the impression that FS Investors will hang onto the rights as a bargaining chip to have some sort of an involvement with the development of SDSU West. Just a thought..

Nacional Tijuana repped this.