Game vs edmonton May 1

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by sportie1, May 2, 2013.

1. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008
    i was really surprised by the eddie's lack of drive and enthusiasm-- they made it easy for the caps to control the game-- a good crowd considering the game

teibert was a force again and shows why he should be included in the starting 11 ahead of koba-- teibert is more direct and his energy more focused- koba does a lot of running, but not sure how much he accomplishes

leveron impresses me with his strong positional player, his touch on the ball and his teamwork with OB-- he should be a starter soon IMO, maybe in replacement of JMD; OB is always steady and solid

harvey had a strong first half and showed some good skill; klazura had a bad second half and gave the ball away too easily on several occasions

knighton had little to do, made a hash of 1 stop that rolled away from him... but i think he is a better goalie overall than cannon who is just too indecisive when coming out which affects us on set plays, our achilles heel on defence

mattocks missed several opportunities and i wonder how long rennie can be patient-- he misses a lot of golden opportunties and lacks soccer intelligence when reading the flow of an attack; hertzog's goal was a wonder strike and he is more dangerous than mattocks

koffie seemed more inspired and showed some nice touches on the ball and passing; JMD gave the ball away on several occasions and caused us to rush to his aid

heineman plays with guts and effort-- useful in a sub role when we need to disrupt a team inside their box; camilo is becoming more of a team player and is creating some danger on the attack

we had a lot of corner kicks that went sailing over our players in the box-- we should do better

manneh always looks dangerous; hurtado still has a problem with ball control when he goes on a tear- his feet cant keep up with his legs

this would be my starting 11 on saturday:
    G- knighton

D- lee, OB, rusin, rochat

MF- leveron, NRC, koffie, teibert

F- camilo, hertzog

subs- mattocks, heineman, watson, JMD, harvey, cannon, manneh, koba

2. MeMeMeMeMe

MeMeMeMeMe New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    sportie1.... how much soccer have you actually watched in your life? This seems you are just cutting and pasting things from places.

3. black_jack71

black_jack71 New Member

Feb 24, 2013
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    We get it, you don't like sportie1, can we move on now? You have made your point.

That said I have to disagree with a few things here sportie.

1. I disagree about taking Koba out the 11. To me he has been misused thus far in the season, often starting out on the wing. He needs to be this teams #10 and play just in behind the forward(s). Teibert has been impressive however I will give you that.

2. While it's hard to argue with the goals Hertzog has provided I don't like him in the 11. He will be completely invisible for the entire game and then pop out of nowhere with a goal and then go back into hiding. He won't be able to consistenly score off of 40 yard strikes or against 9 men. Mattocks will find his way eventually, he is creating so many chances it seems impossible he wont start putting some away. I think you stay with him until Miller is healthy and then rotate Kenny in.

3. I also think it's time Leveron got a look in the team. However, I think he needs to be at CB. The midfield is overcrowded as it is and adding him in wont help that. Part of me wouldn't mind if it means him taking JMD's spot, but still would rather it were Rusin who takes a seat on the bench.

My 11:

Knighton

Lee---O'Brien---Leveron---Rochat

NRC---Koffie

-----Koba-----

Camilo---Mattocks---Manneh

Formation: 4-3-3

We saw a lot of this from Rennie last year, and seemingly it was the formation he wanted for the long term. One change to the D and that is Leveron, I think he has done enough to earn a look with the big boys. He has great distribution and positioning. Midfield with NRC, Koffie and Koba is very attacking. However, both NRC and Koffie have played the defensive midfield position in their careers and I really believe they would make a great partnership there and allow Koba to get forward. Up top, the two standouts from the Dallas game in Camilo and Manneh on the wings, with a misfiring Mattocks leading the line, as I said it's only a matter of time before he puts a few in the net, with all the chances he is getting.

The offensive potential on this roster is incredible if they could just build a bit of chemistry this team is capable of three goals a game.

Also does anyone know anything more about this Ghanaian kid we signed today?

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/artic...ce-signing-ghanaian-midfielder-aminu-abdallah

whiteisthecolour repped this.
  4. whiteisthecolour

whiteisthecolour Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    This this this.

Hertzog scored a nice goal with a decent amount of space. But Lee and Koba also have provided wunderstrikes as one-off performances. Mattocks, though unlucky, has looked very dangerous. Hertzog almost never looks dangerous. THAT's the the difference, and that's why I'm with blackjack on this one. Stick with Mtx.

5. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I saw him play against FC Edmonton reserves a few weeks ago. Didn't really stand out one way or the other to me. I think he got a red card (a little unfairly), but got it the same way Koffie would: aggressive deep midfield play.

6. sportie1

sportie1 Member

Sep 4, 2008

rusin is injured so slot leveron beside OB - my new lineup for may 4:

knighton

lee OB Leveron Rochat

Koffie NRC Teibert

Camilo Hertzog Mattocks

to note-- hertzog has more goals than mattocks in far less playing time-- he is a poacher and on maybe 4 good attempts at goal, he has scored 2x

7. MeMeMeMeMe

MeMeMeMeMe New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    why don't you just pick the lineup after the game starts. You might do better.

8. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    I totally diagree with you on this. Hertzog may have more goals, but Mattocks is in the middle of SO many chances - he always looks dangerous. His finishing touch will come back: we need to stick with MTX.

9. MeMeMeMeMe

MeMeMeMeMe New Member

Apr 29, 2013
    Club:
    Whitecaps
    The guy has missed a dozen good chances in the last 2 games a lone. what more evidence do you need?

MOD EDIT: Deleted personal attack.

10. whiteisthecolour

Staff Member

Apr 10, 2007
    Miyazaki, Japan
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Other than Miller, who is a serious goal threat? 2 games is nothing in the long run. I agree that this run of futility is reeeeally frustrating, but Mattocks struck a post against Edmonton and could have had 8 goals in the last four games. I know, I know, could have, but does anyone really believe Hertzog or Heinemann are serious long term upgrades on MTX? MTX record in the league is excellent - Heinemann and Hertzog both washed out of other MLS squads, one would assume with fairly good reason, since neither carries a large salary.