game times

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by keepersdad73, Sep 25, 2003.

1. keepersdad73

keepersdad73 New Member

Sep 1, 2001
    Is anyone else tired of the lousy times the games are being played at? What happened to the 7:30 Saturday night affairs? 6 pm is very hard if you have smeone playing or coaching, and on Sundays, if you have the 4:30 game, 6 is impossible. Does anybody have the inside scoop as to why the 7:30 starts disappeared?

2. rkupp

rkupp Member+

Jan 3, 2001
    I think this is just a case of not being able to please everyone. For me, on the weekends at least, 6:00 is better than 7:30.

My guess is that they are trying to find game times suitable to bringing kids - and a game that ends at 9:30 or later, if OT, can be a pretty late night if you're travelling at all (and almost everyone is).

3. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, 6:00 is a pretty strange starting time, and it seems that from all the other data, the best drawing times have traditionally been 7:30 on a Saturday night. Even if they pushed in back to 7:00, it would still be better than 6.

When I was a kid, it was standard practice that night baseball games started at 8:00. Now, they seem to be 7:00 or 7:30, and at least some of that can be attributed to the fact that a bb game takes a lot longer to play than it typically did a generation ago.

But to make it earlier "because of the kids" also makes it much more difficult for the kids (and their parents) who play. Let's just hope that this was one of those "let's try it for a year and see how it goes" things, rather than yet another huge miscalculation on the higher-ups part.

Tom

4. RSwenson

RSwenson Member

Feb 1, 2000
    agreed, 7PM maybe... but 6PM rules out almost everyone actively connected with the sport (playing, coaching or reffing) at least part of the time... this is said by someone who has a vested interest in the games being earlier (since I have a 2.5 hour drive after the games)...

rand

5. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    just a reminder, Sunday's game will be at 6:00 PM.

i liked the 7:30 games, especially in Gillette because you don't have the sun in your eyes blinding you. As for 4:30 games, thats because of ESPN2 games.