GAME REPORTS/COMMENTS FOR 2021

Discussion in 'Vancouver Whitecaps' started by hot potato, Apr 19, 2021.

1. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I had some amusement over the keeper pushing his own player. I am sure there was a backstory to their tension and it boiled over.

Cava is officially in BUST territory

Bryan White has shocked me and he must be back next year

I can still not associate the word "Honor" with this club as long as Kerfoot , and his pillars of the faith Rachel and Greg, are still in charge. Axel has done very well in that soup kitchen I will give him that.

2. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    we have had a lot of BAD CLAMS in that soup for far too long-- Axel has changed the quality of the soup

IMO, he should be able to axe some of the long-rotten soup workers and bring in some fresh clams

3. Kingston

Kingston Member+

Oct 6, 2005
    Why do you think Cavallini has been so unsuccessful with the Caps? He's actually a pretty good player but something isn't working at present.

4. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    well, this season, lucas has 3 goals in 16 games and hasnt scored since early July- while there is a case to be made that previous head coach, dos santos, had him trying to play an ill-conceived plan of being a link player which made it difficult for him to score more often, cava did miss many golden opportunities

when a team makes him the highest paid player on the team (before ryan gauld arrived) at $1.3 mill and he produces a goal every 5 games, THAT IS SIMPLY NOT GOOD ENOUGH- and now he is injury-prone

but the most compelling reason is that cava just doesnt fit into the team's style of play- he is the proverbial square peg trying to fit into a round hole - he looks like a lost soul when on the field

sometimes it just doesnt work out-- its best the Caps and he part ways so he can restore his career and the Caps can get some of the transfer money back to hopefully reinvest in new players for 2022

5. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    AT PORTLAND- 3-2 WIN- WOW, WOW, WOW

1. I shited my pants #1 -
    totally pissed at vanni's line-up with a totally ineffective Cavallini and a rusty guti- WTF- had a bench-look of brian white and he looked PISSED... rightfully so - down 0-2 at the half then

2. Shite #2-
    caicado, the brilliant white and a cool PK from dajome - up 3-2

3. POTM- deiber caicado was Mr Hustle says it all- got a goal and assist

4. Super Subs- White, dajome, gaspar and owusu- gotta give Vanni the thumbs up

5. Special observation at the end- saw all the Caps players and coaches rush onto the field... minus one-- Cava - maybe he was there, but i never saw him

6. Whatever else happen- we all want the Caps to make it to the playoffs, but even if they dont, this is a TEAM to build on for 2022- CB, MF, Striker will be the upgrades

7. Pump me up- my son kept me going and i am sure happy he did

8. Even 5-6 months ago, i was writing that, regardless of MDS, this was a team united and committed to fighting together- now with some magic via gauld, jungwirth, white and VANNI, its been a tremendous year

kaburu repped this.
  6. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME AT SAN JOSE- 1-1-- FWIW:

1. POTM-
    most supporters and reporters would say it was florian jungwirth who was a massive energy force for a tired-looking Cap team
    BUT for me, with his heroic and i dont-care-about- my head, Max Crepeau is my pick- such courage says he is POTM- that save gave us a point and caused Wondo to look skyward in disbelief

2. He's starting to look like a decent loan- Bruno Gaspar is fitting more and more into this team- will the Caps sign him for 2022 ??

3. It's 1 point gained- we do have to admit that the Quakes were the better team and we were lucky to knick a point- but that is what happens for good teams - some how, some way...

4. How will they do it ??- finding the energy for wednesday's game is a massive request, but at least Minnie has a bigger demand- an away game and played last night also - us supporters MUST give our energy to our team- they have earned our support

BE THERE EVEN IF IT IS A MID-WEEK GAME

7. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME VS THE LOONS- 2-1: lots to take in:

1. POTM- CB, Florian jungwirth, was HUGE - HE held the defence together- call him ...THE GLUE

2. PLAYED LIKE DYNAMOS- owusu, teibert, gauld, white,nerwinski, dajome and crepes

3. Nerves got to him - for the first 30 mins, brown was like a deer in headlights

4.Gotta have admiration- the injured cavallini looks so despondent but he put in a shift

5. ORGASMIC ENDING- the players hugging and circling together; the singing withe the Supporters

6. NOW THAT'S SOMETHING SPECIAL- watching our head coach connect with :
    - cavallini with a hug and words to encourage a wounded soldier
    - going around the stadium to celebrate with the fans

7. THE CAPS OWNERS AND AXEL HAVE TO SIGN VANNI- he in

spires and brings BELIEF

8. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    GAME VS THE LOONS- 2-1: lots to take in:

1. POTM- CB, Florian jungwirth, was HUGE - HE held the defence together- call him ...THE GLUE

2. PLAYED LIKE DYNAMOS- owusu, teibert, gauld, white,nerwinski, dajome and crepes

3. Nerves got to him - for the first 30 mins, brown was like a deer in headlights

4.Gotta have admiration- the injured cavallini looks so despondent but he put in a shift

5. ORGASMIC ENDING- the players hugging and circling together; the singing withe the Supporters

6. What a head coach!!!!- Vanni sartini has been the best Caps MLS head coach- when I saw him embrace the struggling, frustrated cavallini and go around the stadium to acknowledge the fans, it tells you a lot about him AS A PERSON

THE OWNERS AND AXEL MUST MUST SIGN HIM FOR THE NEXT 2 YEARS

9. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I was told Sartini walked around the entire pitch and interacted with the remaining fans? Is this correct?

He is impressing me. I don't care if he makes mistakes , etc. He has something to him that is getting these players to go above and beyond. THe mental game is generally more important than the talent you have on paper (see Cava for the complete opposite). He is an open person with the media and fans (no more tired garbage from MDS or Carl's usual "the boys played hard" drivel). I would be shocked if he doesn't get brought back on a one year plus option or something like that.

He has something intangible that seems to be working. They just need to get rid of the attitude issues (Cava!)

Caps generally the last few years always had 6 - 10 players that were bad signings , dead weight, or salary cap suckers. This year, most of them are gone. Sure, we can improve positions and make trades, but other than Cava, the rest of the squad is at the very least serviceable and there are not any gross misuses of salary, and no bums hanging on.

I have become a believer in Axel; I just hope he can do the right things with this latest abuse scandal and take out the rest of the trash in that organization.

10. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    Axel is now free to hire his own FO staff- so i am expecting- much like the scouting staff- an experienced, ambitious, hard-working, accountable set of hirings that will make the Club much more professional

the incompetents are being swept out the door - but kerfoot only did it because MLS HQs forced his hand - he hasnt clean hands in this scandal

11. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    He must be pretty happy to get Lewis out of his sphere of influence. She has been a poison and the absolute centerpiece to the coverup of these coaching scandals at the behest of the owner.

12. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MLS - like they did in RSL with its disgraceful owner- has to force/urge OWNERS Greg Kerfoot/Jeff mallett to sell the Club- they were the major part of the cover-up and they allowed it to continue for 10 years- they kept the same FO staff that minimized/covered-up the sexual abuse scandals

GREG KERFOOT AND JEFF MALLETT NEED TO BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE BY MLS - THEY NEED TO SELL THE CLUB TO MORE INTEGROUS OWNERS

WE CANT DISMISS THE FO STAFF AND NOT DO THE SAME WITH THE OWNERS THAT ALLOWED IT TO CONTINUE

13. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    I really hope this ends with new owners. I don't think there is enough yet for MLS to care enough to get rid of Kerfoot as they are all very tight with one another. The last time they brushed it all off with the infamous "womens' report" that lasted one day in the media then went into the trashbin. This time they are hoping getting rid of the old front office people will pacify everyone. I think it will take something even more to convince MLS to deal with the owners. Time will tell.

14. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    it has been confirmed by GC that the 4 FO staff on suspension are the Lenarduzzis, lewis and anderson, our 4 horsemen/woman of the Apocalypse

may they all continue their rides out of town- if kerfoot reinstates them, Axel might just walk and that would be scandalous for the Club

axel has brought all the right kinds of professional approach, decisions and hirings that have been sorely needed for 11 years and he would be free to hire his own FO staff

i for one would walk away from the Caps should kerfoot try to reinstate any of those 4-

MLS HQs needs to apply pressure on Kerfoot to make sure it doesnt happen and they should even get him to sell the Club, much like they did with the RSL owner

15. hot potato

hot potato Member+

Feb 21, 2014
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    MOMENTS OF MIRACLES: did we see this coming 4 months ago ??

Miracle 1-
    rising from the bottom of the west conference to be the 6th seeded Club and making the playoffs

Miracle 2- only loosing 2 games (1 at home and 1 away) in the last 22 games

Miracle 3- assigning interim coach, Vanni Sartini, to be the head coach and watching him bring an inspiring belief, enthusiasm and energy to the players and supporters

Miracle 4- watching FO leader Axel Schuster and his new coaching staff find pearls in Brian White, Florian Jungwirth and the on-field leader, Ryan Gauld at the mid-season point

Miracle 4- moving from being players who worked tirelessly for each other to a TEAM that was entertaining and using the high press to unsettle teams

Miracle 5- a new found connection between the players and the Supporters

Miracle 5- be part of over 25 000 supporters totally engaged in watching the final and maybe last home game of 2021 (we can always hope for more)

Miracle 6- watching our goalie, Max Crepeau, diving to grab the ball disregarding the safety of his head vs LAFC and Seattle and bringing 2 more points to the final standings- COURAGE and more COURAGE

Miracle 7- watching myself and the faithful Supporters coming back to the Club when all had been lost at the mid-season point- now onto the Playoffs and 2022

16. OldFan2015

OldFan2015 Member

Nov 29, 2015
    Club:
    Vancouver Whitecaps
    A very nice list Potato. A lot of pleasant surprises this year. I hope this can continue and the black cloud can be taken away.