Game Day Travel to Pretoria

Discussion in 'USA Men: World Cup Fans & Travel' started by Yank22, May 2, 2010.

1. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
    Hello everybody,

I am going to be in Johannesburg for the world cup and I'm traveling alone and wanted to see if some people wanted to get together and plan a trip to Pretoria together to get to the game. Let me know. Thanks

2. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    I'll be in Pretoria already but am interested to hear what everyone's pre-game plans are.

3. AO Party at the Homebaze bar!

@Yank22: Can't nail it down this far in advance but I'll be driving from Jburg to Pretoria for that match. Happy to carry you along if you want but plan on a morning departure to get pumped for the kicking of Algeria's ass.

4. Yank22

Yank22 Member

Jan 7, 2005
    NYC
  5. bcsoccer05

bcsoccer05 New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    pittsburgh
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    my 3 buddies and I will be heading from joburg to pretoria that day as well. if you figure out a cool place to hang out before the match let me know. we'd join ya'll

6. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If anyone can figure out where in the hell this Hombaze bar is in Pretoria, that would be the spot to meet up. If it can't be found, then Hatfield Square is the place to be.

7. owian

owian Member+

Liverpool FC, San Diego Loyal
    May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    buddy of mine and I will be headed up from Randburg (Northern Jo'burg suburbs) to pretoria for the US-Algeria match. I saw that there is a commuter train from Joburg to pretoria but not sure if its even open yet.

8. Sports Cactus

Sports Cactus New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    I know there is a bus service that costs about R200 for a round trip. I'm looking into that for travel because I have to be back to Joburg that night after the game.

9. bcsoccer05

bcsoccer05 New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    pittsburgh
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i couldn't nail down an address but i did find a news paper article here in which a place called Homebaze is reviewed. http://www.sowetan.co.za/Entertainment/TimeOut/Article.aspx?id=1096007

I am not sure if it is the same place but the writer mentions that Homebaze is in or near the Eastwood Mall in Pretoria. I was able to track down the writers email address and asked if they could provide an exact address for the place.

When/if i hear back i will post the address on here.

10. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    do you have a link for the bus service? Wondering where it stops and how late it runs.

11. Fevernova99

Fevernova99 Member

May 3, 2003
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
  12. Sports Cactus

Sports Cactus New Member

Apr 15, 2007
    still trying to figure it out myself. gotta find the link again

13. bcsoccer05

bcsoccer05 New Member

Oct 22, 2009
    pittsburgh
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    got a response from the guys at AO. here is the address for Homebaze:

Shop16, Eastwood Shopping Centre, Pretorius Street, Arcadia, Pretoria

14. donovan2dempsey

Apr 15, 2010
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Pretty sure I found the Eastwood Shopping Centre on a map of Pretoria....Google Maps says it's about 1 kilometer from the stadium, so maybe a 10 minute walk or so? Good to hear. Let me know if anyone hears differently!

15. owian

owian Member+

May 17, 2002
    San Diego
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cheers for the Info I am also looking into the High Speed Train, but haven't confirmed if its even going to be running in time.

16. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    The AO meetup is in a good spot in Pretoria, it's right next to the US Embassy so we'll march by it on our way. Location-wise it's a good spot. Super easy walk from what my sources say. Can't wait.

17. TimBoston

TimBoston Member

Feb 26, 2006
    Boston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah here's a map of the area:

http://tinyurl.com/38g4duu

18. DC McP27

DC McP27 Member

Jul 11, 2007
    Virginia
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

That might have been the hardest place to find on the internet, congrats! Wixson7, you still staying at the Gecko in Jo'burg? If so, see you on the 17th!

19. wixson7

wixson7 Member+

May 12, 2009
    boulder
    gecko on 17,18 then 1322backpackers in pretoria on 22,23. see ya there.