PBP: Game day thread - USA v. Venezuela 6/9/19

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by FirstStar, Jun 9, 2019.

1. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    The Sarachan era was way better than this

2. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Do the analysis on this. MLS over the last 5 years has basically transformed itself into a latin american / foreign player league. WHy? Because owners and managers need to win and they need to keep good margins. These players offer far more value for the same price.

Simple.

That means SUM profits by marketing the USMNT and actively contributes to it's lack of success. They have a monopoly on US soccer and a monopoly on foreign soccer talent in the US.

Why would they ever change the system when it delivers guaranteed profits on both ends?

I'm glad we all love soccer, but unfortunately a higher force wins first.

ardubois3, russ and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  3. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope so

Marius Tresor and truefan420 repped this.
  4. truefan420

truefan420 Member+

May 30, 2010
    oakland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As do but I doubt it. I’m sure we will hear more... he needs more time. It’s the players fault because they don’t understand his system.

5. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Yes, but his system lives forever.

Cordeiro: We have announced the firing of Gregg Berhalter.
    Reporter: So who is replacing him?
    Cordeiro: We are announcing the hiring of Gregg Berhalter's sytem.

6. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Really this has been known for YEARS. He’s the best and worst of the pre-2002 era. Commitment and effort out the wazoo, skill, ability, talent? Just never a part of the ingredients (I say this acknowledging that ‘90’s era USMNT’ers w/talent existed).

7. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    hahaha

Holden: BRadley is the best #6 to ever play for the USMNT.
    Reporter: Didn't we just miss the world cup with him as the undisputed, self-imposed #6? Isn't he the worst captain in US history playing the #6?
    Holden: What's your point?

akattack, Gacm32, TOAzer and 2 others repped this.
  8. neems

neems Member+

Liverpool FC
    United States
    Apr 14, 2009
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think he has great ball control, but, yeah, his passing and finishing... Woof.

akattack repped this.
  9. grandinquisitor28

Feb 11, 2002
    Nevada
    Winning will make them double down on idiocy. Losing and humiliation offers hope of change. Winning would cement a sense of unearned competence that is far more dangerous than these debacles are.

FLSoccerGran repped this.
  10. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #660 adam tash, Jun 9, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    1. Thing is ...what happens when you start filling out rosters with high-priced foreign attackers/latin americans....it leaves the "support" roles to the american players....the "hustlers" and defenders are the americans....the goal scorers and attackers are the foriengers.....

next to impossible to build a dynamic national team from a pool of role players......(what makes it doubly bad is that those role players are stranded in MLS and cannot move to bigger leagues because of the roles they are forced to assume in this MLS)....

players like donovan and dempsey would likely be watching DPs from the bench if they came up as teens in this 2019 MLS....

what ends up happening is that the "best american players in MLS:" are all role players....b/c that's what MLS uses americans for!!

2. mls is a very "system" focused league....that's where GB is getting this from....you have a bunch of players that stick to the script and choreographed movements and cannot think their way out of a wet paper bag.....b/c that's what their coaches DEMAND of them.

MLS coaches are control freaks that mandate mediocirty b/c they think that gives them a better shot of keeping for their jobs for the longest possible spans....

3. it all leads to extremely uncreative soccer at the national team level...especially if you want to use a lot of MLSers......which GB, Sunil (yes i said Sunil!), Earnie, don, etc clearly want....

Gacm32 and FLSoccerGran repped this.
  11. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In one month I think we'll know if we are likely to be facing two WC qualifiers in a row where we are left smoldering on the side of the road.
    It may be time go on that one way trek up Everest.

12. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    Dude, i agree with all of it, but what's the point. Everything you mention is post coital.

13. Gutch220

Gutch220 Member

Apr 26, 2010
    NJ
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    At this point it seems like the Gold Cup IS our World Cup because this team as it is now could not qualify for the World Cup. 2026 here we come!

14. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A thousand times this.

adam tash repped this.
  15. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Where should Jozy have been sprinting?

You want fake hustle I guess.

16. Three and Three

Three and Three Member+

Sep 13, 2015
    Club:
    New England Revolution
  17. 70runner

70runner Member

Jun 21, 2007
    Tuned out after 1-0. Just no interest in watching role players chase soccer players. Venez, whatever their A/B team pedigree, were just better. More creative on/off the ball. There is no USMNT midfield attack, none. MB90 will only make this worse if GB is stupid enough to use him.

Nagbe gets pummeled around here, but at least he can attack/create space. The US has precious few attacking midfielders.

2022 WC looking like another long reach.

18. Sam Hamwich

Sam Hamwich Member+

Jul 11, 2006
    So much talk about the US being soft but that is by design. Anytime any players shows some kind of confrontational attitude or calls out the team, he's kicked off. The core veterans have to either show the leadership or get out of the way.

TOAzer and adam tash repped this.
  19. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he is the guy we should be bringing on to see out wins. He is fast and a willing defender. He is not a starter for me at this point. I have the same feeling with Roldan, not enough goal danger for me.

FLSoccerGran and neems repped this.
  20. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly, people love to whine about MLS making guys soft but somehow the non-American are able to keep their edge in MLS.

The problem is selection and deployment . There is no reason why we don't have an attacking midfielder on this roster. Bring Nguyen or Benny or Rowe or some damn body who has the skills and instincts to create a goal. Our front three should run rampant with a little support.

Boyd-Jozy-Pulisic

AM

Wes Adams

napper, FLSoccerGran and adam tash repped this.
  21. adam tash

adam tash Member+

Jul 12, 2013
    Barcelona, Spain
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not a bedoya fan but he's light years better than trapp.

so is nagbe, benny, nguyen etc....

I don't get the logic that bradley's lack of speed is okay but somehow benny or nguyen are both past it....both are faster and more creative midfielders than MB...and better creators than the center mids who have featured over the last few seasons.....

22. TOAzer

TOAzer Member+

The Man With No Club
    May 29, 2016
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I do believe that it is too late in the day of their careers for Benny or Lee to make an impact with the national team, even though they are both currently faster and more creative midfielders than MB. ...... I suppose this is a longish way of saying that MB should not be on the national team. ;)

23. 50/50 Ball

50/50 Ball Member+

Sep 6, 2006
    USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the goal is to win the Gold Cup, I have no problem with using guys who are not going to be on the WC 22 roster ala Conor Casey in the past.

24. Guinho

Guinho Member+

San Jose Earthquakes, bless their hearts
    Estonia
    May 27, 2001
    San Francisco, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

We won’t be winning the gold cup. We won’t even get out of our group.

Three and Three repped this.
  25. devad

devad Member

Nov 18, 2012
    I got to be honest. If we were losing with young ones who were "learning lessons" I might have a different take. It's nothing but excuses. Tim Ream shouldn't still be playing Venezuela's B team and learning lessons. If we are going to use older players, they should give us results today. Anyone else rather see:

Weah (Boyd)----------------- Sargent (Jozy)-----------------Pulisic

------------------------LLetget/Holmes----------------

-------------McKennie------------Adams--------------

CCV ? --------Brooks--------Richards----- Yedlin

Instead it will be a stubborn commitment to the Arriola's, Ream's, Lovitz's, Roldan's, trapp's, Bradley's, etc. They can't do it. The young ones will have a learning curve, but why aren't the players with actual talent and potential given the opportunity to learn. Sargent isn't ready so you cut him? Long isn't ready and you give him 90 minutes to get him ready???? What?!?!?!

I can understand Jozy. He is a reasonably useful player in a position of razor thin depth. I can not for the life of me see what he sees in Ream?!?!?