PBP: Game Day - Nations League: Canada @ USMNT 11/15/19

Discussion in 'USA Men' started by NietzscheIsDead, Nov 15, 2019.

1. Lloyd Heilbrunn

Lloyd Heilbrunn Member+

Feb 11, 2002
    Jupiter, Fl.
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #451 Lloyd Heilbrunn, Nov 15, 2019
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    I guess it won't kill me to comment in here after watching my recording after going out to dinner:

Nice to see some intensity and pressure.

Nice to see some dead balls hit with pace.

Nice to see us occasionally move the ball quicker, paid off on the 2nd goal, the best of the night. Need more this.

Nice to see a bit of an edge from Lletget (who might've been our best player tonight), Brooks, and others.

Nice to see Brooks healthy.

Nice to see a really good young player in Dest.

Not so nice to see us turn over the ball a number times playing out of the back.

Not so nice to see a lop-sided formation again going forward, but Gregg is going to Gregg.

Not so nice to see a nondefensive defensive midfielder, although Yueill was pesky and did some good things on the ball.

Not so nice to see our intensity fall off in the 2nd half, but probably not unexpected.

Not so nice to see a dead tired Morris not be subbed off earlier, come on coaching staff, watch the game.

USSoccerNova, rgli13 and TimB4Last repped this.
  2. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    12 goals and 9 primary assists in 38 games worth of minutes is a good return for a winger/striker at international level. His numbers include a goal and an assist in the Copa.

deejay and juveeer repped this.
  3. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    A big key, imho--

Under Berhalther the team has only twice started with a true CAM. The results--

USA 1-1 Uruguay
    USA 4-1 Canada

Lletget was the 10 in each match, though I'd have preferred Holmes. What's important was having someone who could get on the ball, hold the ball, direct traffic, and work hard on defense.

This is an important player to have, given the pattern of formations and player selections the coach has used.

jnielsen, USSoccerNova, rgli13 and 2 others repped this.
  4. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Dest also was first man in the goal chain on Zardes' winning goal.

Ola was rangy. Liked open space and connecting on balls coming from wide areas. when he had to play the 2 man game with Ibra at LA he was finished.

5. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    How far can the Crew go in the WC?

6. IndividualEleven

Mar 16, 2006
    BS laughs at Ream at LB because has been exposed too many times.

juveeer repped this.
  7. Excellency

Excellency Member+

LA Galaxy
    United States
    Nov 4, 2011
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Ii don't. I'd worry about Ream having to play against Sala but that would be up to the manager. As far as winning a game in Couva, I think Ream would do just fine.

8. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    I follow what I see with my eyes, not what the statistics (that can easily be cherry picked) say, nor what the media (who can easily be bought) say, nor what other people who don't even watch think.

I say stuff as I see it. If that means the pro-MLS crowd considers me a traitor or the Eurosnobs think of me as with a pro-Garber agenda, I don't give a toss. I'm not here to make friends.

9. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    Wow. That's wrong. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

NietzscheIsDead repped this.
  10. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Some responses:

1. At least we aren't taking on water.

3. Morales was a bit out of mistake.

5. Because Boyd is the sub.

8. One thing at a time.

11. dlokteff

dlokteff Member+

Jan 22, 2002
    San Francisco, CA
    This needs to be printed on banners and flown in front of Stewart and Berhalters love shack in Chi town. We won possesion last time and got punked, and got crushed here and won by 3. It's what you do with DANGEROUS possesion that matters.

DHC1 and USSoccerNova repped this.
  12. FanOfFutbol

FanOfFutbol Member+

The Mickey Mouse Club or The breakfast Club
    May 4, 2002
    Limbo
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--

5. Because Boyd is the sub. - I do not really understand. Morris was pretty obviously tired and we had the match mostly sewed up by the time for a sub. Sargent was available and it will now be hard for him to be fully recovered for Cuba. Of course he may not be in the plans for Cuba.

8. One thing at a time
    - True. I was just pointing out the, probably, obvious that we still have a LONG way to go before where teams like Mexico have to have any real fear of us, either home or away.

TrueCrew repped this.
  13. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...and Yueill started both those games as the deep lying midfielder.

jnielsen and juveeer repped this.
  14. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good informational post.

But what LoN has replaced is pre-Hex WCQ matches against even weaker minnows. Also, Cuba will be relegated & replaced with a stronger team next time. LoN qualifying was pretty luck of the draw. Also, Cuba would not be thisbad without all those defections.

15. gunnerfan7

gunnerfan7 Member+

San Jose Earthquakes
    United States
    Jul 22, 2012
    Santa Cruz, California
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we lost to Canada last game, how many of your posts aged well? Not many I'd bet.

Sucks I had to miss this one cause of work. I'm sure everything is fine now that we've beaten the 6th best team in CONCACAF at home. Berhalter is a genius, how could I have not seen that before????:rolleyes:

btlove repped this.
  16. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Thanks.

And thanks to the Yanks for winning on the night of my boys first game.

ChicagoVT, USSoccerNova and russ repped this.
  17. NietzscheIsDead

NietzscheIsDead Member+

NO WAR
    United States
    May 31, 2019
    NO WAR
    Dest looks good. Really good. Its going to be a lot of fun pulling for this guy. He handled the dual national thing with nothing but dignity and class and he really plays well for the team. I think he’s already a top 5-7 player in the pool.

ChicagoVT and Eldinter repped this.
  18. Suyuntuy

Suyuntuy Member+

Jul 16, 2007
    Vancouver, Canada
    Duane has played most of this season in the hole behind the strikers as a CAM. In 772' he has one assist.

Julian Green has better numbers playing a similar position (4 goals in 1159').

juveeer repped this.
  19. LouisZ

LouisZ Member+

Oct 14, 2010
    Southern California-USA
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For being slight build, he did ok, but, we are talking about Canada. The player I like for the 6 is Hassani Datson, the kid is a beast.

Mahtzo1 repped this.
  20. Phives

Phives Member

May 2, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as I can tell that is specific to dead balls like a goal kick but it is hard to tell. Certainly more nuanced then I thought before.

https://www.givemesport.com/1493101-benfica-exploited-the-new-goal-kick-rule-against-ac-milan

No one appears to do a 'trick' in that play where as the Canadian player lifted the ball to himself.

21. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    2 of the 3 were instrumental.

can we please lay off both Yuiell and Zardes?

Zardes is what he is, but he works hard, puts himself about and is often in scoring position. At least at this level.

Yuiell, lik eit or not, is the closest thing we have had to an actual regista since Reyna. he is young, gets better each time I see him and I think he can grow into that role as long as we have an enforcer in the MF along with him.

This team without old man Bradley slowing everything up played fast, forward and direct. Were they sloppy at times? Sure, but the speed on the field drove Canada crazy.

The only real problem I have is Ream. We need to switch Cannon or someone over to the left and play Dest with Yedlin in front of him on the right.

22. juveeer

juveeer Member+

Aug 3, 2006
    We always were, once he was appointed.

23. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think he would do better in a two-strike system, but that's rare these days. It takes a while to both learn to play hold up well as
    Dotson was bad in the U23 game against Brazil. Play didn't improve until he was subbed at halftime. Hopefully it can be written of as a one-game hiccup (against a pretty strong opponent) but he didn't rise to the occassion. Hopefully he doesn't turn into one of those guys that kills it in MLS but can't cut it in national team games.

ChicagoVT and LouisZ repped this.
  24. Eldinter

Eldinter Member

Jul 28, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    Club:
    FC Internazionale Milano
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Holmes showed enough in limited minutes to be called up to camp over guys like Roldan and Trapp, but I don't understand the hype machine around putting him in the starting XI or giving him the keys in the #10 spot. I think he had 2 goals and 1 assist all of last year in the Championship and that's a 46-game league. He has also pretty much hit his ceiling at 25 - there are no magic bullets that turn us into Brazil overnight. At best, he's a hustle guy with some ball skills that could work as an energy guy off the bench.

Announcers mentioned games in March against European opposition. I would like to see Holmes and Green both called in so we can see whether they can contribute. As I said, I don't doubt that they would do better than dead wood like Trapp and Roldan but I don't see much space for them on the roster after the U23 guys are integrated by the start of the qualifiers.

25. HomietheClown

HomietheClown Member+

Dusselheim FC 1971
    Sep 4, 2010
    Club:
    --other--
    It seems like I have been saying this for a couple years now but good things happen when Morris is on the field and he is healthy.
    He is a must starter for me. The guy just has the "it" factor.

It is looking like Orlando is becoming our fortress. Undefeated there and pounded a few CONCACAF teams in official matches in that venue. We should continue to play big official matches there.

That is all I am going to say about this match. I am just glad we won.