GAME DAY 3: RSL v Austin Saturday, March 11, 2023 7:30pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by rslfanboy, Mar 6, 2023.

1. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    So, I have no brilliant thoughts to get this going, other than just to get this going.

Austin lost to tied-for-league-best expansion team St. Louis (the other SL that Checketts threatened to take the team to). Then they played a much better game against Montreal this last week.
    The Trees play IN HAITI tomorrow. They also loaned Djitte to French Ligue 1, so we don't have to worry about him hanging 3 goals on us. We also don't have Kappelhoff anymore, so I think that's a win-win.

I'm hoping for much better midfield play this week. Luna over Caldwell, if we must start or sub in one or the other.

Also, the homebrew home opener is returning this year! I am not involved nor participating this year, but it's a great time if your are interested.

evilradar, 15 to 32, RSLer and 1 other person repped this.
  2. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see Pablo changing his ways this early in the season (maybe if they lay a huge egg against ATX who's got CCL on 3/7 and 3/14 they'll use the bye week to do some stuff).

I have no idea who will be in the middle, pick two of Ojeda, Ruiz and Jasper.

Surely Rubio gets the start, Julio just isn't doing anything. Maybe you could move Julio to the other wing.

I'm expecting a win, but only because ATX is down CBs and they have this game in between the 2 CCL games. Don't get your hopes up with a win folks, this is probably just a schedule win, not a sign of an improving team.

3. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So the win against Seattle and New England to start last season

4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Austin got roasted on the road in the Dominican Republic (moved from Haiti due to lack of security) in the CCL tonight. 3-0. Heavily rotated but heavily garbage too.

rslfanboy repped this.
  5. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Also, I don't rate Rigoni. He should be better, but he just isn't.

6. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Could be good or bad for rsl
    Curious if they rotate again with focus on trying to recover that series in the return leg or if they go full starters against rsl

7. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the plan was to have the starters for RSL, but with the hole they have in the 2nd game (just 3 days later), it wouldn't surprise me if they go for the draw vs RSL.

They still have CB issues that RSL can exploit.

Allez RSL and RSLer repped this.
  8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone else listen to Pablo on the radio with Spence?

He talked about Ruiz being key to the way they want to play and switch the point of attack. Can anyone speak to how that will actually look/work?

I ask because Ruiz isn't available again this Saturday, so we'll have to wait for the STL game to see Ruiz and this supposed way they really want to play.

So Ojeda and Jasper in the midfield. I wonder if Julio starts or not. I think I like Rubio to start for this one, but I like him with Julio on the wing running at their CBs.

Apparently no Caldwell either. Will we see Moses or will they move Damir back to get Luna on the field?

9. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So apparently ATX's CCL opponent may have to forfeit the game. Only 12 members of the traveling party were allowed into the US. It'll be a shame if they have to forfeit. ATX doesn't deserve to get through like that.

I have no idea how this will impact Saturday. There's a possibility the CCL game is moved to a neutral site.

10. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Ruiz really seems to be our DM link since at least 2021. We just have nothing interesting in center midfield without him. Ojeda has been good, as well as Jasper, but neither of those seem to "captain the ship."

Also, it looks like Gomez might also be a great option on the wing to run at the defense, like Julio.

What's up with Caldwell?

goobx1 repped this.
  11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No Jasper for the next 2 matches.

rslfanboy repped this.
  12. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    He missed last game, so this Saturday is the last of his suspension.

RSLer and Med_Phys repped this.
  13. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it takes Ruiz to be his partner, there's no way I'm paying anywhere close to $4m for Ojeda. For that kind of money, I think I need a guy that can be more of a difference maker. I don't think we could sell on Ojeda to get the money back.

I don't remember exactly what they said about Caldwell. I don't think it's long term. Should have everyone (not counting Kei and Farnsworth) available for STL on 3/25 due to the bye.

14. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    According to this, Jasper can play this weekend.

"Löffelsend will serve his one-game suspension on March 4 against Seattle Sounders FC. An additional match suspension shall be held in abeyance provided there are no further incidents of violent conduct – spitting at an opponent – during the 2023 MLS season...".

Allez RSL, RSLer and rslfanboy repped this.
  15. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You are the first anywhere to report this. Thank you!

16. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake

I don't know how that is going to work either with Ruiz. Is anyone going to be allowed to captain the ship in the midfield? Ojeda had some good moments but if you spend the vast majority of your time trying to route 1 it down the wings it's tough to get anything going in the middle. Also, watching the Seattle game it seemed like the front 3 with Julio, Sava, & Chang would often get disconnected, along with Dami from the rest of the team when they were trying to press. The announcers even pointed this out several times. Leaving so many gaps easily exploited by the Sounders.

For whatever reason I just don't think that Julio is working as a starter. Rubin was an absolute ghost in the second half. Kind of like Sava in the first.

The best player in the first half was probably Chang. Yea I said it.

For me I would go with this line up:

MacMath
    Brody Glad Silva Oviedo
    Ojeda Jasper
    Gomez Dami Sava
    Rubin

Not a fan or believer in Rubin but my guess is he is a better poacher than Julio and if you can get some dynamic play from Gomez, Dami, & Sava, Rubin might be able to be in the right place at the right time ala Heber for tap in.

My guess would be that Chang will get the start though. Pablo loves him some Chang.

Bring on Julio in the 60' to run at the back line.

acima repped this.
  17. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    Chang has been good.

Med_Phys and goobx1 repped this.
  18. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Yes he has. No one is more surprised than me, that's for sure. He would have occasional good games, stretches, last season so lets see if he can be a more consistent presence. Fingers crossed.

19. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chang has pretty much always been the best value player in team history (what he costs versus what he provides). Doesn't mean he should start every game - that's a different measure IMO - but once you look at contract versus production, he's amazing.

Med_Phys, goobx1 and rslfanboy repped this.
  20. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ruiz is key to the long diagonal switching balls Pablo loves

Allez RSL repped this.
  21. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gomez, Rubin and Jasper are the changes from last week.
    Caldwell is on the bench, Ruiz and Neyman are not.

22. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Better lineup than last week IMO.

Also: happy to see Beavers on the bench again in lieu of Gomez. I know he won't always be there since he'll be getting game time with the Monarchs, but I am glad he's there for now.

Pierre wasn't on the bench last week either I think?

23. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Looks like a best 11 from ATX. I'm not sure if I expect a win, but I'll definitely be hoping for one.

24. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone just watch the pre-game? Awful insight to RSL. "Reel Salt Lake City"!? WTF?

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That’s what the guys on the EPL review show were saying last week.