Game Day 14: RSL v Houston, Saturday May 28th, 7:30p MT

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by 15 to 32, May 25, 2022.

1. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Coming off three of the biggest (if not the most impressive) points of the season in Montreal, RSL has a run of what appears to be very winnable games. It starts at home, this Saturday, against a Houston side that currently occupies the last playoff spot in the West.

Houston appears to be better than their 2021 selves - that team was really bad - in fact they just lit up the Galaxy 3-0, in Carson, and have an impressive 2-0 win against Nashville. However, they have some equally strange results such as a 2-0 loss to DCU and a midweek loss, last week, against Seattle at home.

Houston will be playing their 7th game in 22 days when they come to town. That's what happens when you don't lose to a brand new club in the USOC... Houston has a midweek game (today) against Sporting for said USOC. They will be rotating. They will be tired. This looks a loss if you're Houston.

Which is where RSL historically struggles. Especially when you mix in the Memorial Day holiday weekend. RSL should win this game. RSL has dropped just 2 points at home this year in that frustrating 2-2 draw with TFC. Otherwise? wins across the board. That has to continue in this game.

I expect Pablo to stick with this 4-2-3-1 / 4-4-2 he's gone with for the rest of May. Last week it actually had really really strong moments so I can't make a strong argument to change it based on recent results. The only thing I would hope to see is a rotation up top with just how out of form Bobby Wood is. Though I have doubts it'll happen.

My XI:

Cordova Rubin
    Meram Ruiz Caldwell Chang
    Brody Glad Silva Herrera
    MacMath

2nd Mouse and Med_Phys repped this.
  2. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I'm getting email blasted that Savarino returns this Saturday. I wonder if he'll get some time-wasting minutes?

3. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't be the first misleading thing from the club if he didn't.

15 to 32 repped this.
  4. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He just got to the country this week. I expect him to be at the stadium, possibly in the gameday roster. It would be tempting the injury demons this team is plagued by to give him anything more than 5-10 mins

5. 2nd Mouse

2nd Mouse Member+

Apr 11, 2012
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The eye test says Savarino looks good in practice, works hard and is fitting in nicely with the rest of the team so he's in the starting 11 on Saturday.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

DrownedElf and 15 to 32 repped this.
  6. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's hope that the Altitude and Fresh Legs formula works for us...

7. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    I'm curious why you think it's risking injury. It's not like he just had an offseason. He should be fine. The last time he was in the game day roster was April 23rd, I wonder if that means he was still training with Atletico or not.

8. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is RSL. We're kings of getting injured.

15 to 32 repped this.
  9. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This
    And flying that far earlier in the week is setting his body up to struggle. We’re lucky that the timezones aren’t vastly different, but it’s still a change of climate, altitude, etc. on short rest

also
    April 23 is over a month ago
    That’s not insignificant

10. evilradar

evilradar Member

Real Salt Lake
    United States
    Apr 4, 2019
    You're right that it's not insignificant that he hasn't been in a game day roster for a month but if he's been training with the team recently I don't see how he shouldn't be fit enough to play 30-45 minutes at least. Sure, he flew in this week but I've certainly traveled long distances and that didn't incapacitate me for days and I'm definitely older and by no means athletic. Also Belo Horizonte sits at roughly 2,500-4000ft in elevation, not vastly different than Salt Lake. And the climate is certainly different. This time of year, Belo Horizonte is usually around 70 degrees with 65% humidity compared to SLC's average of 72 degrees with around 40-50% humidity.

RSLer and 15 to 32 repped this.
  11. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    I think that this RSL team is starting to settle in and figure out who they are as a team. That, along with Pablo and his seeming ability to Ted Lasso this team, means that I am starting to expect them to play well.

But with the roster that we currently have at RSL it means that if they come up against obviously better teams getting a result becomes much more difficult if the rah rah stuff wears off. I know, DUH.

But it also means that RSL is a team in the truest sense of the word this season and that can make up for a lot of what might be lacking on the roster currently.

I expect RSL to play particularly well on Saturday and I also expect 3 points.

3-1 RSL

12. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Houston played many (most?) of their starters, notably the older ones, in their midweek USOC loss to SKC this week. It was on the road at KC - not terrible travel, but travel nonetheless.

goobx1 repped this.
  13. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we will see 3 points this week with Bobby Wood getting a brace.

goobx1 repped this.
  14. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold
    I hope Bobby gets out of his own way and scores. He certainly could use a game like that

Recent news is that Menedez and Holt are back in training. Which is crazy to me given the initial projections of those injuries. This team could be about to suddenly have a really big roster as opposed to the super thin one we had before.

goobx1 repped this.
  15. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Menendez is such an enigma. He definitely has a ton of talent but he plays so damn soft which makes it difficult to be successful in a rather physical league like MLS.

I do think that there is still hope for him with this squad especially if the players around him improve.

If he is on the pitch with a few more dynamic players like Sava, Cordova, and even Meram he could finally find a way to be an actual contributor for this team. Him being out there with zero players as creative as he is makes him an easy target for other teams to bully or just mark out of the game. Because they have zero fear of most of the other players that were out there with Jonny. When he gets out there with more dangerous players perhaps that wont be the case.

I could be wrong and he just falls down all the time like before but I'm definitely curious to see him out there with better players with similar talent levels.

Should be interesting.

16. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The guys on Off the Crossbar talked about him and the winger/wide midfielder position on the team.
    I don't know what happens at training/practice, but I think Joni should get some run as a starter surrounded by attackers like Sava, Wood, Rubin and Cordova. I don't think defenses could key on any one of them and it makes all of them more dangerous. Then you have some of them off the bench plus, Chang and Meram and Julio. There's no reason not to run and wear teams out the whole game and then you have guys that are great late in the game coming off the bench.

If there is a roster crunch (no idea how there isn't already in terms of spots, not dollars), maybe you look at transferring Joni, especially if he really isn't good enough (I don't think that's the issue). I don't think Meram is a player much longer, Chang is a great depth piece. In fact, even with Chang being a bit older, I'd give him a raise and a new contract for a couple years.

Garcia, Schmitt and Davis probably need a loan. Besler seems like a luxury, even more so if they add a guy like Cuellar this summer. Not sure if he would be traded or transferred or loaned.

RSL does have too many players and those extra guys aren't even making the Monarchs winners. I think that and the USOC game show that maybe the depth isn't good enough.

goobx1 repped this.
  17. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Thank you. You made my point much better than I could. I think the key for Joni is having better players around him to do exactly what you said, keep the defenses from keying on him. Cordova is much the same. The better the players get around him, and the better the current players learn to play with a much better player in Cordova, the sooner we will see some exciting results. In my opinion anyway.

18. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bold maybe, but Wood has been putting himself in dangerous positions and ya gotta think one or two of those many opportunities will go into the net. For me it’s the work ethic and ability to be involved that makes Wood valuable. Two goals tomorrow.

19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don’t necessarily disagree, but at some time, as a striker especially, the hard work thing just isn’t enough. To be in as many good spots as he’s been this season is amazing. To only have 2 goals on the season is borderline inexcusable. If we see anything tonight like we saw in Montreal I have to wonder if he just isn’t a finisher

20. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Personally, I’m hoping we have a cold, northern Utah rain to take a huge toll on Houston’s motivation tonight.

21. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What's the over/under on Savarino getting injured when he's subbed on tonight?

22. Speedybacon

Speedybacon Member

Feb 1, 2007
    Orem, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't realize Houston picked up Corey Baird from LAFC, it will be interesting to see how the fans are towards him.

Ismitje repped this.
  23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    MacMath

Herrera Glad Silva Brody

Chang Loeffelsend Ruiz Meram

Cordova Wood

Bench: Gomez; Kappelhof, Kablan, Schmitt; Caldwell, Everton, Besler; Savarino, Rubin

24. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the first game of the year with 20 in the game day roster?

25. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States