Game Day 12: Austin v RSL Saturday May 14 7:30pm

Discussion in 'Real Salt Lake' started by goobx1, May 10, 2022.

1. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Feels like Julio time for a counter.

2. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was a great shot!

3. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    6 minutes. Need to apply the pressure, not be on the receiving end of it..

boris9678 repped this.
  4. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Methinks we just lost Julio.

5. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Julio is out of the game. Now 10 v 10.

6. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    And Julio pulled something?

7. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great win!

8. Med_Phys

Med_Phys Member+

RSL
    United States
    Jun 20, 2019
    Terre Haute, IN
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So no Julio or Caldwell next week. Who knows on Damir. Pablo will be back. Sava probably isn't available by then. The team will need goals against MTL, but it'll be good to enjoy these 3 points.

9. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Tate Schmitt on for Justin Meram has been a truly terrible substitution. That's two goals Austin coulda-shoulda scored off him blowing coverage.

RoyalNonesuch, acima, rslfanboy and 2 others repped this.
  10. boris9678

boris9678 Member+

RSL
    United States
    Apr 30, 2007
    Singapore
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Great to get a win. Perhaps not one that builds as much confidence as I would hope but good to see them find a way.

11. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We get Julio back and now he’s out indefinitely is my guess.

12. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Heart, Will, and such

13. RoyalNonesuch

RoyalNonesuch Member+

May 10, 2009
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grit, Good McMath version, Stolen Points?

Those are the kinds of red cards we'd rant about with Olave - don't love it even though it benefitted RSL, but - that's soccer.

14. rslfanboy

rslfanboy Member+

Jul 24, 2007
    Section 26
    I disagree that it was Olave-esque. It was a push to the back, not a hard-nosed tackle.

Allez RSL repped this.
  15. DrownedElf

DrownedElf Member+

Jul 5, 2010
    Ogden
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bittersweet since we lost Julio for this win. Will this roster ever be healthy?

16. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Between how poorly he played during his last start and how poorly he fared in his few minutes tonight, I have to figure it's awhile before Tate Schmitt gets quality minutes on defense. Especially with Kablan on the roster and Kappelhoff back from injury.

goobx1 repped this.
  17. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did Austin sub in 33 that was beating him?
    That dudes ability to separate from Schmitt and hit one time passes back into the middle from long crosses was astounding

18. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I’d give some major credit to the referee and AR on the east side for that. The whistle was slow to discuss where the foul occurred. If it’s in the box that’s a yellow and penalty. Outside it’s red for dogsco. They talked, made a decision, and we’re proven right by VAR

RSLer and goobx1 repped this.
  19. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Justin Meram was complete dogshit in the game. His assist to Chang is one of the few good moments he had - and it came from the Austin player tackling a giveaway by meram back into him

RSLer repped this.
  20. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That was Austin Coach Josh Wolff's son, Owen, a 17 year old who came into the game in the 60th. But Austin only came forward after Brody scored, so he only showed what he could do in those final seven minutes or so.

I agree, he was phenomenal at it. And wide open to do it.

rslfanboy and Med_Phys repped this.
  21. georg

georg Member+

May 25, 2009
    Parowan, Utah
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Disagree regarding Meram, in fact I would argue he and Silva have been two of the best surprises of this season. I will agree that Meram can tend to hold the ball too long, but it’s been his time on the ball that is pulling defenders to him and allowing him to make those passes that are creating goals and opportunities. Meram and Silva are having their best years in a RSL uniform this season.

Ismitje repped this.
  22. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Well I enjoyed the game.

I will have to try and watch the game again on the always incredible KSL app. From my section at the game it looked like RSL was playing a 424 which probably isn't a thing. But it certainly looked like they were pretty flat across the top there or dropping back to try and keep ATX in front of them or something.

Maxi Urruti is a player I should like and try to like but then he does Maxi Urruti crap in every game.

That first goal is definitely on Zach for the most part. He guessed cross and got burned near post. I bet he doesn't do that again for awhile. That is one thing that I loved about Rimando, he very rarely got beat near post. He made you earn it. Never the less Zach saved the game on multiple occasions late so I'm glad he is our starter.

Nice job by Chang with the left foot. A blind squirrel yada, yada, yada. Nice to see him show up but I doubt this means that you can count on him game in and game out moving forward.

On the red card I think the CR was going to let that go but the AR made the call and then they figured it all out. Lucky to keep it outside the box because without the red card I think ATX gets a result or a win but that we will never know.

Tough to get a read off this game but kudos to RSL for keeping up the pressure and finally breaking through for a wining goal.

The wining goal by Brody was very nicely taken. It's always nice when the ball stays in the stadium.

Man I hope Julio is ok. He was off to the races to seal the game up and bam.

I do want to watch the game again because that play on Cordova looked suspect. I know the ATX guy probably got the ball but it looked like he went right through him but maybe it was just a solid tackle.

Not the best game in the middle for the CR but I'll take the 3 points.

23. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chang had the goal. He had the secondary assist (passed to Julio). And he put the ball over the top perfectly to Wood on the play that drew the penalty.

Man of the Match, easily. Most games this isn't who shows up, but good grief he played a blinder this week.

RSLer, Allez RSL, UofRSL and 2 others repped this.
  24. goobx1

goobx1 Member+

Jul 9, 2007
    Salt Lake
    Absolutely. And nice to see for sure. Should do a better job with kudos to well played games by anyone. Even those that only show up on occasion.

Hopefully he can put a few good games together.

25. RSLer

RSLer Member+

Sep 24, 2008
    Stansbury Park, UT
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Something was wrong with him. In the first half he spent a lot of time directly in front of us. He was bent over with his hands on his knees a lot. He just stood around in one place a lot. When he ran, it was mostly a fast jog. I don’t know if he was ill or what.

Allez RSL repped this.
  26. 15 to 32

15 to 32 Straw Hog

Jul 1, 2008
    Salt Lake
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watch Meram far too frequently - that isn't abnormal behavior for him
    What irks me the most is when he does one of his pointless flicks/dribbling into the third defender and doesn't work to get the ball back

RSLer repped this.