Game atmosphere is everything in MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by MLS Detroit, Jun 11, 2007.

1. MLS Detroit

MLS Detroit Member

Jan 20, 2001
    Melvindale, MI, USA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This weekend, there were three compelling games: Chivas with a 1-0 nailbiter over Chicago, DC with their monumental 4-2 win over NY, and the 2-1 Dynamo squeaker over Columbus.

Toyota Park in Chicago was sold out and the fans were riveted by every significant play, both offensive and defensive (it was comparable to a Toronto game, which is always like that). It was exciting to watch on TV.

RFK was rocking on Sunday with the Ben Olsen hat trick over NY. Despite the 1:00 start time, which many MLS franchises would immediately dismiss as a bad time to have a game, and the poor Telefutura audio, there was a large, enthusiastic crowd which supported DC's every move. Great fun to watch.

Columbus and Houston had an equally compelling matchup. It was an intense dogfight with a lot at stake for both teams and only a Chad Marshall own goal was the difference in the outcome. The atmosphere, however, was terrible. Even in a soccer-specific stadium, there were so many gaps in the seats; it looked terrible on TV. If Crew Stadium would have had 20,000 passionate supporters encouraging their lads from behind, there might have been a different result.

My point is this: many on these boards have agreed that Toronto fans have willed their team on to victory. Even when they lose and/or screw up, the fans are right back behind them on the very next sequence. This undying support, best generated in a soccer-specific stadium, is what makes MLS matches fun to watch. It is not fun to see half-empty, half-interested stadiums regardless of the drama on the field.

Perhaps other fans can take notes on what Toronto is doing and get behind their team regardless of their present record. Kansas City is awesome right now; 17 k should be easy in that city!

2. EdG567

EdG567 Member

May 10, 2006
    Houston, Texas
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Another one of these...

3. TopDogg

TopDogg Member

Jan 31, 2000
    Toronto
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
    Ain't it grand? :D

4. taboga

taboga Member

Dec 17, 2005
    MLS does not know how to hype things up and use the media. I am sorry guys but fundamental soccer will not win over fans. AKA(Sapranos had higher ratings than the NBA FINALS because the Spurs are so dam boring, it is true)
    We need excitement! I hate when the TV announcers talk so negatively....Eric Wynalda. We don't care what former USA soccer players have to say unless you are entertaining like my boy Alexi Lalas. It will take a World Cup semifinals appearance until USA soccer in general is respected. Then again we could pay for some expensive players. lol
    But seriously a lot of MLS players are way underpaid and I see a strike coming unless MLS raises the salary of some players who make less than teachers!

5. DoctorD

DoctorD Member+

Sep 29, 2002
    MidAtlantic
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  6. triplet1

triplet1 BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2006
    Game atmosphere is everything in every league.

Case in point, Serie A. The quality of the play may be higher, but the Serie A games played in closed stadiums -- even those in front of sparse crowds -- are almost unwatchable IMO.

7. ritsoccer86

ritsoccer86 Member

Jul 18, 2005
    Exactly!! Crew stadium should be "BOO stadium"

8. aimorris

aimorris Member

May 2, 2007
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Game atmosphere is everything in any sport. If there are no fans to support/cheer, why else would the sport exist?

9. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    aparently they decided to do without in EPL :D

10. jayd8888

jayd8888 Member+

Aug 22, 2006
    Denver CO
    I clicked on this thinking, "so help me God if this says anyanything about Trontro...."

Why don't we all just offer to massage the good people of Trontro's feet who are now our newly appointed rulers?

Excuse me while I go yack up.