Game 7, Cruz Azul v PUMAS....all about it...

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by Disco Dale, Sep 7, 2006.

1. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Couldn't get tickets so far, obviously, so will go down to the ground early doors Saturday, might get some off a tout.

We both lost our last games, both of us missing crucial overseas players to injury (Cesar Delgado and Leandro Augusto), who, I believe will both be fit for this game (saturday 5pm). So its important for us both to get back into winning ways, should be a good encounter. I think there is some sort of "curse" on Cruz Azul to do with losing two on the spin, anyone heard of this?

Last season they stuck 8 passed us, I was at both games, and the home leg was the most depressing, 5-0 if you can bear to remember it. I really hope it can't be that bad this season....

So whats going to happen?

2. Otaku

Otaku Member+

Dec 9, 2003
    Club:
    CDSC Cruz Azul
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Good luck to Pumas, I know you guys desperately need the points, but we won't just hand them over. We also need them like you pointed out. So good luck to your team Disco, it should be a good match :)

3. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i think all the pressure is on cruz azul on this one...hopefully we are able to take advantage of that...i predict at least a tie, maybe we could win it...last 2 games between the two have been a disaster for us and so we could end to that...leandro is back and fit, so they say...i just pray so we can get a positive result out of this...i am not gonna be able to watch it live so will comeback later to discuss...

...como no te voy a querer!!!!...:cool:

Enfrentamientos entre ambos desde la Temporada 95-96: 28
    Victorias de Cruz Azul: 9
    Victorias de Pumas: 8
    Empates: 11
    Total de goles anotados entre Cruz Azul y Pumas desde Temporada 1995-1996: 73
    Promedio de goles por partido: 2.61

Hope this comes true:

[​IMG]

4. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...hope the "course" you mention help us, we are hungry of points...hehe

...wish i could be there to watch, good luck with the tickets and if you go, take some pics...:cool:

5. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Game On:-
    [​IMG]
    Got up nice and early (on a saturday!), but the $80 you see isnt quite what I paid for them.... not even close.... never mind, still dirt cheap for someone used to premiership and la liga prices.....

Leandro is back! but Delegado too, and we have never beaten them when he plays, the paper says, although that is only 4 games, and we did draw one... although he has scored 5 against us in those 4 games... Also el "conejo" has never lost v Pumas at the Estadio Azul, still thats all history.

I think Tuca will go 5-3-2 on this one, and I think Reinaldo will get the nod ahead of Gonzalez, I know we all agree about predictions, but I'm sticking me neck out anyway, 1-1... although if we start and stick with 4-4-2, it might be something like 4-2 to them.... anyway, at least I will be there!!

6. Machetazo

Machetazo Member

Mar 20, 2002
    L.A.
    Cruz Azul doesn't scare me at all. They're on a two game losing streak and this a good time to play them as Delgado isn't fully fit yet. You and I know they depent on him too much. That being said, we know that Ferretti will bunker. With him at the helm, i'll settle with a draw. But I know Pumas can earn more than one point if they play a bit more offensively than Ferretti likes.

7. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
  8. fireman451

fireman451 Member+

Jun 26, 2002
    The Midwest
    Club:
    --other--
    It was a good day in Estadio Azul . . .

[​IMG]

:D

9. Rafael Hernandez

Rafael Hernandez Moderator
    Staff Member

Mar 6, 2002
    Don't we have anybody better than Pikolin??. Ya van dos.

10. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Not according to Ferretti, who also happens to think Fernando Morales is Primera A material. He should get fired on the spot just for that

11. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    It was indeed, great to be there, enjoyed it no end.

To be fair to Sideshow, he does ok, played better again, until his heart-stopping error near the death. He is NOT a central defender, and that is not his fault. Those one or two fatal errors every match do not get noticed when he's playing defensive-midfielder. What may change this season is that when we play with four at the back, Moreno may start to get the nod over Pikolin:- or we may see an experienced central defender come in at Christmas.

anyway, this is how I saw it:-
    Bernal - nervous-ish game, good save from Delgado

Castro – often playing too forward, and a bit inside, but good defensively and good going forward.
    Palacios – That last minute error!, but did have mch better game.
    Veron – sound game, what we expect
    Moreno – solid (subbed 59)
    Velarde – good game, Chelito switched sides because he got no change out of him.

Sancho – too little time (subbed 12 injured).
    Leandro – MOM - faded a bit first half, but overall very good, you can see what we have been missing, visibly got frustrated with lack of movement at times
    Pareja – got knocked about a bit second half, but looked keen, skilful and troublesome, worked hard again.

Scocco – runs, jinks, TWO goals took them both well. Beginning to really link up well with Parejita
    Reinaldo - needs to have more to him to fit into this system, looked slow today, must be running out of opportunities. Static. (subbed off 70 mins)

SUBS
    Espinoza – 12 mins – excellent game, impressive, lovely cross for the goal.
    Iñiguez – 59 mins – ineffectual
    Alanis – willing, but a lot to learn. It is interesting to see Tuca trusting his Cantera, rather than his big signings, the Ariels, Lopez and Gonzalez.

DT
    Tuca Ferretti – spot on, formation correct for this game, and has obviously worked hard on getting his players to understand it. Went for the throat when Huiquis sent off.

Overall, the concentration level was high again, an amazing improvement from Pachuca, lets hope that was just an abberation. Sometimes wonder if our patient buiding is that, or negative thinking, just need to keep on top of it really. If it hadn't have been for Pikolin's error, would have been a lovely display of how to play when 1-0 up.

12. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    A huge victory in hostile territory. What a massive confidence booster. I did not get see to much of the match as we were preparing for our Longhorn Broadcast, but I did get to needle my color commentator as he is a cruz azul fan.

13. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I only really understood the first half of that ! but he is dead right, not sure the enormity of this win has sunk in.. to beat that team in their place, especially on the back of a terrible performance v Pachuca, it really is top class, a result v Monterrey Wednesday night would really see us on a roll...
    [​IMG]

14. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...la 12, always there...

[​IMG]
    ...hell yeah!!!...barely watched the game...well deserved victory at estadio azul saturday...however it could had gone either way, had not been for c.a. lame forwards and sergio bernal...anyhow, i still celebrate as our fans did their job once again, great support #12!!!...​

15. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...i know, i know...but as disco said, he is not the central defender...who would you like there?...but i share your frustration, i think any pumas fan does...is like he has one or two good ones and then a bad one...he needs focus and consistency...remember he saved us of the 1-0 on the first half...i believe he would become a solid defender if not this season, next...hopefully i am right...i think he is better than maza already though...

16. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...seems our wish came true bro...keep on cheering...:cool:

...ferreti did bunker, but the team was smart enough to take advantage of the extra man...

17. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    I am very happy with 5-3-2 for tricky away games, and even against good sides at CU, especially as the players seem to understand it more, and Leandro can be a great link, and also with Pareja teaming up with coco well.... also, to be fair to Tuca, I think there was great understanding between him and the players as they went for the kill after the red card.... also, as you say, we really made the most of the extra man, we haven't done that for a long time, and its a skill that continues to elude many many teams all around the world...

18. franco

franco New Member

Jul 24, 2003
    USA
    ...comimos Conejo De Visita...despues De Una Decada...

...again pretty much on the same page with you disco...but i think first half was azul and we got lucky they did not score on us...but at the end our defense was able to hold tigth and we went ahead when we needed to...no show, but smarts on this one...our defense needs more focus but we have young blood who are stepping up to the plate lil by lil so i am happy to see that...

...moreno, velarde, pikolin, and espinoza are doing better each time (well, maybe not so much pikolin but not bad either)...alanis, needs more playing time but more mobil than reinaldo...

...scocco, pareja, espinoza and leandro superb job...i liked scocco playing forward on the left side as he did today, we did not needed him as offesnsive midfielder on this one cuz' pareja, leandro, and espinoza did great...

...hope to see reinaldo with more movement as the season goes on...but i think he should had been on shape by now...maybe send him back as sub and have him come in on the second...inyiguez did not impress me much but did not do that bad either, he still needs that finishing touch...

...glad to see santos beaten by the polluelos and we almost reach them again on the battle for survival...we are doing ok so far, but could always improve...:cool: