Game 6: Red Stars vs. Independence 5/15/10

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, May 11, 2010.

1. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We come back to Toyota Park to face Philadelphia Independence for the first time this year. A couple of our former players are with Philly. Danesha Adams and Nikki Krzysik. Krzysik was a fan favorite while with the Red Stars and Danesha was always very approacheable. Former Notre Dame standout Jen Buczkowski is from Chicago. One of my favorite goalkeepers in Val Henderson and of course Heather Mitts. Amy Rodriguez scored a goal on us last time she was here.

It will be interesting what line-up Emma will put out Saturday. Philly has a good defense but I think we can break through.
    One thing we know is that we must start putting the ball in the back of the net consistently.

I would go with this line-up:

Nogueira Cristiane
    Rapinoe Formiga Chapman Carney
    Engen Dieke Markgraf Dalmy
    Loyden

Subs: Klein, Spilger, Masar, Sitch, Davis

Hope to see a great crowd at Toyota Park this Saturday.
    Let's pray for warm weather and no rain.

2. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    With the red card, Dieke will not be able to play this week.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Oh yeah, I forgot.

Spilger in for Dieke.

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Which hopefully means we'll see what Engen does in the center!!!

I want to give McDonald a chance so I hope she's in the lineup. Masar has proven to be ineffective.

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree with you.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rokagrl was actually talking about driving to Chicago to cheer for Loyden. She's still a Laclede's Army favorite. Unfortunately, I don't think I can make it.

7. suncraver03

suncraver03 New Member

Oct 3, 2003
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm super excited for this game. I'm expecting a good crowd.

8. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  9. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah. What else is a 23 yr old to do on a Sat night than drive 10 hours roundtrip to watch a game involving 2 teams I don't like (save 1 player)? Apparently, nothing. :p It would be me and new member KatieB (who has never watched a game before).

It's still pending I don't cough up a lung beforehand. I'm still debating if I want to sit in 134 and do something crazy (supporters section for another team) or just go really incognito and wear normal clothes and sit with people that don't hit things with sticks and scare small children. :rolleyes: Decisions...

10. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You already know me. I'm a nice guy. I always say hi and I gave you my one and only Red Stars scarf last year for your collection. You and Cville K C and anyone else are always welcome to come and hang out with us at the tailgate before the game. I hung out with you guys at the All-Star game last year. And don't you live in Illinois? It would be a quick 3-4hours drive to southwest side of Chicago for you.

You don't have to sit in 134. Get a Club seat so you can go in the Toyota Park Club after the game and talk to players, coaches, etc.
    They are expecting a good crowd with events this Saturday.

P.S.
    You can if you want, leave the green hair at home, though. ;)

It would be cool to see you guys there.

11. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I live in southern Illinois and if I have to ride with the person I think I am I'm leaving from Soccer Park so it's a bit longer. As long as we get there early enough I'm hoping to do some tailgating so I will look for you!

I won't be sporting lots of green. I'll probably wear my Army shirt and if it's cold Athletica coat, but nothing overboard. I'll look into club tix.

12. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The chicago front page had a deal with swoop to get a "balcony bash" ticket for only $30 so I got 2 of those. I can't turn down pregame all you can eat food and booze and then good seats and post game stuff.

I'm excited to see an actual WPS game from start to finish without running an army. :D Maybe I'll actually know what happened after the game.

13. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And if they play "When the Stars go marching in...", you sort of already know that tune.;)

14. rokagrl13

rokagrl13 Member

Aug 14, 2007
    STL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    *slaps head* no joke.

Anyway. I got tickets to the bash thing for the game and found out today it was cancelled so I can either get them for a later date ( :rolleyes: ) or get a refund and still get my seat.

Guess no boozed up me. Or I'll just take care of that in the parking lot. I'm feeling better today so look out Chi-Town!

15. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We will have plenty of that. Just stop bye. We are usually along the sidewalk that leeds to the front center of the stadium. Cooking, tailgating, kicking a ball around and enjoying some "refreshing beverages". Don't be bashful. I'll be looking for you.

16. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Question: Does CRS have an archive of their webcasts? I won't be at a computer (unless something changes) during the game but I'd really like to watch.

Also, the roster report lists Sitch as unavailable. But McDonald is (finally?) available. Maybe she'll get some time? CRS has had trouble scoring and in controlling the middle of the park. Will that change this week?

17. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I certainly hope so.

http://www.womensprosoccer.com/Home/chicago/news/press_releases/100513-redstars-independence.aspx

18. sisyphus

sisyphus Member

Apr 17, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago
  19. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  20. FreeKicks

FreeKicks New Member

Sep 29, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Is Asllani back already? She's not on the roster report, if so that was a quick heal.

21. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from another loss and shutout.
    This team is plain horrible offensively. Just kicking the ball into the penalty area without even looking to see if a teammate is close won't result in too many goals.Cristiane for all her reputation deserved to be subbed,not that it did any good. The Red Stars seemed to dominate possesion although not sure how much that was philly protecting an early lead.

22. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure what Chicago's deal is. They have talented pieces but don't seem to be able to get their, um, selves together. I agree that Cristiane was much less than spectacular today. Maybe not even to the level of pedestrian...

That said, they had two chances that they absolutely should have done better w/ -- the header Cristiane didn't get on goal and the header McDonald didn't get anything on.

23. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to drop Hayes..

24. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've really been biting my tongue... er, keyboard... whatever. I've been keeping my big alligator mouth shut on this because I didn't want to be the first to go there but yeah, if we see one more game like this, we gotta get a new coach.

The team today looked completely disorganized. In fact, they were worse than disorganized, they had no plan and they kept getting in each others' way. They don't talk to each other out there either. The difference between us and Philly was great and blatantly obvious. Philly moved the ball right through our midfield with confidence and panache. With the exception of Carney, we just blooted it around aimlessly or poked at it with our toes because we'd already lost the 50/50 battle.

Everyone except Carney (who was BY FAR our best player today), Engen, Asllani and Chapman looked bored and like they wanted to be anywhere else but playing in that game (I'm giving Rapinoe a pass since it's her first time back and she did some good things). No strategy, no communication, no motivation, no execution and our decision making near or in the box is crap, not that this matters much because we never have more than two players in the opponent's box anyway and they're inevitably facing four defenders. Either Emma has no idea how to get these guys to play together or she's lost the team. Neither one is any good.

I'm also going to call out some players for their abject performance today.

I know people on here like Cristiane and I'm sorry to keep harping on this but she's fat, slow and out of shape. My God, she's got a damn BEER GUT! Or she's preggers. Whatever, she also looked totally disinterested in this game and she was pissed off when she was - RIGHTLY!- subbed out.

Formiga was atrocious. No vision, barely ran outside the center circle couldn't complete a pass until Philly totally backed off late in the second half. If you're not going to leave the center circle, you'd damn well better be Carlos Valderrama. And Formiga ain't no Valderrama.

Speaking of which... Philly was content in the second half to just lay back and let us come at them because they KNEW we couldn't score. They'd just boot the ball into our half of the field and let us reset because it was obvious we would do nothing with it. But I digress...

Nogueira has a rocket of a shot but damn she is LAY-ZEE! I thought I was watching Justin Mapp out there. Casey, maybe if you RAN for the ball, it wouldn't go out of bounds so many times or you'd get it without a defender draped all over you.

Ella, kid, I feel sorry for you that you missed that great chance to score in the second half but for heaven's sake, how many of those are you going to get and not put the ball in the net???

And why is our back line giving them acres of space and not stepping up to shut anyone down? They played like they have zero confidence in each other or in the players ahead of them. The goal was just a cluster******** caused by no communication between Spilger and Dalmy.

If this happens next week, it's time to bust out the "Emma Career Deathwatch" thread.

25. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Boy do I agree. There are quite a few things that need fixing:

1. Our attacking style. How many games do we have to sit through with this style of attack CLEARLY not working? Stop playing the ball into space when we dont have the forwards to catch up! Asllani has speed, but she's the second youngest player in the league! She doesnt have the experience to always know what to do when she gets the ball. Half the time she is indecisive of where to pass or whether she should shoot. Cristiane NEEDS the ball played to her feet. She has never been a fast person.. heck thats why the pairing between her and Marta is so deadly. Marta brings the speed and Cristiane brings the strength and height. Carney and Rapinoe can whip a brilliant ball across the box. But what on earth are our forwards gonna do with it when its out past the PK spot? Its difficult to score off headers when they are that far from the goal. You know what attacking style we need to try? Wall passing. The Germans are BRILLIANT at wall passing and it clearly works for them. We need this type of short passing to help our possession. It doesnt require our forwards to need much speed because of the way you work the ball. Get the outside mids to play it to the center mids.. the center mids play a through ball to the corner.. the mids then cross the ball, AT KNEE LEVEL or lower, across the box and the fowards run onto it.

2. Our center mids. We NEED an offensive center mid. Formiga is what? 31? She isnt the offensive player she use to be. Chapman is strictly a defensive center mid for the English National team. She is basically their Shannon Boxx. Watching the two of them play next to each other neither is strictly the offensive or defensive center mid. We dont have a Lindsey, Abily, or Sawa. We have basically 3 defensive center mids if you include Klein. I'm not sure what Hayes was thinking in the offseason.

3. Our coach. What are you working on at practice? Kickball? How many times do you scrimmage 11v11? Never? Because it doesnt exactly look like they trust each other. Ill give the defensive lapse today to the fact that Spilger is not starter material. They need to focus on offensive possession and FINISHING at practice. We have 2 weeks till we play our next game. I'm sure hoping we look a lot different than we did tonight. If I was Marica.. I'd already be looking for a replacement to Hayes. Hayes clearly hasnt change her tactics at all and thats just a joke. If it isnt working, why are you still doing it?!