GAME 5: Fire v. Wiz 4/18/09

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Hattrix, Apr 14, 2009.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You know that Corona ad where the guy and the girl are sitting in their deck chairs on the beach and the hot chick in the bikini walks in front of them and the guy stares at the hot chick's ass and his girlfriend or whatever takes the lime out of his Corona and squeezes it onto him in retaliation?

I like that ad for some reason.

Anyway, sorry I defeated you in whatever argument we had that caused your resentment at my superior beauty. How was I to know you have more issues than National Geographic like that queer combo platter of low self-esteem and megalomania that leads you to assume that you are being insulted when you're not only not named in the insult but not even part of the conversation?

Oh, and cheese is tasty.

2. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    I'm sure there's a fetish joke in there.

You see, here's the thing.
    I really do read the thread.
    I really do skip your posts.
    The whole "I'm better at life" thing is my gig.
    You really are a long-winded bag of humorless twaddle.

Only when you put it in the correct orifice.

btw-

[​IMG]

3. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How the ******** did we end up tying with Kansas City, they've been up a man since minute 2 and they look horrible. Not that New York is a good team but, up a man at home and they look horrible (Great game to be televised on ESPN2). I hate New York, but I wish they score a goal to tie Kansas City they don't deserve to win this game and it will keep us in first place also.

4. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you're so superior then why don't have the wit to realize that after whining about being insulted you then proced to insult yourself by AGREEING with the perceived insult you whined about while proving it to be true and then insulting yourself again by admitting that you don't have the intellectual heft or stamina to follow any narrative more demanding than "The Pokey Little Puppy" because it's too "dull" for your limited attention span?

Insulting you is superfluous at this point.

Ah, you're a Detroit fan. That explains a lot. Well then, let a grown-up like Chris M carry on the discussion seeing as he's apparently "dull" enough to think that bringing actual soccer content to a soccer discussion on a soccer board isn't too demanding.

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I blame Logan Pause.

6. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sorry if this actually-talking-about-soccer thing will bore the kiddies in here...

What you just described happened in the first half of the Cruz Azul-Atlante game in the first leg of the CCL Final. In case you did not see the game, Atlante waltzed into Stadio Azul and dominated the home team for 25 minutes, going up 0-2. Then, gradually, Cruz Azul began to put themselves together, build some possession and by the 35th minute to the end of the half, they carried the run of play.

Sound familiar? So what's the difference between the 1st half of that game and the 2nd half of Fire-KC? How can you tell when a reversal like that happens because a team is fighting to attack but just loses the run of play and when they've deliberately gone into a defensive shell?

First, in the CA-Atlante game the change was gradual. It started slow and you could see it building. Cruz Azul began to tighten up their pressure in the midfield and began to move more bodies into the attack and they started winning more balls in the midfield. In the Fire-KC game, it was like someone turned on a switch after the last batch of Fire corner kicks and then KC, who had until then only managed two quality chances in the 2nd half by Lopez and Wolff, suddenly got the space to camp out in our half of the field.

Second, Atlante did not throw 8 or 9 men behind the ball at all times like the Fire did. At the risk of uttering a Davism, Atlante kept their shape (although he usually meant defensive shape, not offenseive shape). They did not flatten, did not pack the box (except when defending corner kicks), did not pull their forwards back into midfield.

Third, Atlante kept trying to build the possession attacks that they'd previously been creating up until then. Despite being under much more pressure, they rarely just blasted the ball blindly out of their half of the field. And because they didn't start their counter-attacks with 9 guys behind the ball, they were in a better position to break out and threaten Cruz Azul, who could not just have all 10 field players camping out in the Atlante half. In contrast, the Fire didn't try to create attacks. We basically played a 5-4-1 with only that speed demon Blanco available for a quick counterattack. Defenders didn't even look to see where teammates were in front of them when they won the ball. As a result, we ended up getting ourselves in a scoring position just twice in 16 minutes of play. This in a game when attacks usually don't last longer than a minute from the winning of the ball to the final shot or dispossesion! And in the first of our two atttacks, Pappa had to waste time with the ball for several seconds waiting for support to catch up from their defensive posture, something that 'El Hobbit' Bermudez or Rey rarely if ever had to do.

Fourth, because Atlante tried to actively break the pressure while the Fire tried to just passively absorb it, the flip in lopsidedness in possession in the CA-Atlante game wasn't nearly as extreme as in the Fire-Wizards game. Atlante may not have been as successful at getting the ball through the midfield late in the half as they were at the beginning but because they were still trying to attack, they ended up being more successful in running out the clock. After all, for each second you keep the ball, your opponent cannot threaten you. The Fire only started trying to build attacks again after the tying goal and we were then successful. Given that KC smelled blood, was also going for the winning goal and obviously was not displaying any change in their intentions, you cannot say that our mini rejuvination was due to KC sitting back. We started looking more attack-minded again because we became attacking-minded again.

Watching those two halves almost back-to-back really reinforced the difference between what you are describing and what happened at TP last Saturday. Both Atlante and the Fire faced similar pressure from a desperate and resurgent opponent but they way each played showed that they chose to deal with that pressure very differently from each other.

7. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    All I see is some random logic string about insulted/not insulted blahblahblah, something about a puppy in quotes, and you think I'm a Detroit fan - which means you don't get the Vocational Guidance Counselor reference...again.

I keep looking for the [boring][/boring] tags, but I can't find them...are you using a Mac?

8. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given your self-description as an intellectually limited superfan, I'm not surprised you did not understand anything in my post. And if the only people who come charging in here with vitriolic personal attacks are self-described intellectually limited superfans too dumb to know when they've insulted themselves, I'm not terribly worried.

9. firefan2001

firefan2001 Member+

Dec 27, 2000
    Oswego, Illinois
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You have a comment on everything don't you, but your finally seeing the light!

10. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As far as who I consider to have essential input on the BS boards...I would rank both Saeyddthe and ratdog high on the list...when I click on the BS, and I see Saeyddthe was the last post, I have to check it out, (even if I don't give a crap about the thread) because it will be good...and will probably make me chuckle (laugh)...

Whenever there's a in-game or post game thread...I can always find ratdog's input (sometimes many pages of thoughts) and he tells it like it is, and will never give up, ever...I do admit skimming thru some of ratdog's posts at times to get the gust of it :eek:, but I do work alot and don't always have the time...(For example: I have to work Saturday and can't make it to Crew Stadia this year...I H8 My Job)

ratdog knows all that can be known, and Saeyddthe knows the rest...

You do fine work gentlemen.

Keep up the good work.

Now wait for the bell...and come out fighting...:D

11. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This thread needs a giant rubber dick.

12. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I won't be doing any play-by-play here tomorrow as I'll be at the Red Stars game and will have to watch the Fire game when I get back.

Hopefully, we'll just hand out a good old fashioned beatdown to C-bus so we can all revel in the victory rather than argue over why the outcome sucked.

As for this thread, unless Chris M returns to talk soccer, it looks like it has run its course.

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VtzSDI8u2o[/ame]

14. Saeyddthe

Saeyddthe Member

Sep 5, 2003
    St. Looney ^the CB&J
    Hunh? :p

I don't remember saying I didn't understand you.
    I'm pretty sure I just said I dismiss you out-of-hand.
    Wasn't even intended as an insult...but more of an info-mation.

However you wanna take it though... I generally find that people intend to be insulted more often than they intend to insult. Or at least they're better at it. And I'm telling you you're one of those people, based on the following...

Of any thread on this forum with more than 100 posts, you will most likely have 25% or more of those posts.

Of any thread on this forum with more than 100 posts, you will most likely have 70% of the word-count on that thread.

Do you see a pattern here?
    I do.

You might think I'm getting a bit personal here, but I haven't.
    It's just a trolling proof-of-concept...
    Find a guy who quotes shit anally, keep feeding him shit, and you get manure in return all day long.
    They do that with pigs you know.

Now, I'm going one step further. Telling you.

- I am trolling you.
    - You will now quote this post and reply.
    - I will then quote YOUR post and respond with whatever makes me laugh at the time.
    - It will probably be obvious to anyone but you.
    - It may even be obvious to you (hopefully, since I'm telling you outright), but you will not be able to resist the compulsion to "get the last word".

Seriously though, you do tend to hijack threads with inane back-to-back-to-back multi-quote posts...and it is a bit ridiculous.
    Go to a bar, and meet some people, and see how long they like that shit before they have to move on.

15. loonixxx

loonixxx Member+

Chicago Red Stars
    Aug 28, 2004
    Soccer Limbo
    Club:
    Jagiellonia Bialystok SSA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Or this...

[ame="http://www.hulu.com/watch/68615/family-guy-bag-of-weed"]Hulu - Family Guy: Bag of Weed@@AMEPARAM@@http://www.hulu.com/embed/ep1M8zvZCtD8GC4LoKKFEw@@AMEPARAM@@ep1M8zvZCtD8GC4LoKKFEw[/ame]

;)