GAME 30: Fire v. utter failure (and chivas too) 10/22/09 [R]

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by SixKick, Oct 19, 2009.

1. SixKick

SixKick Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 13, 2000
    Club:
    Club América
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    We could still go as low as sixth in the league. The second best in the conference is correct though.

2. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Watch the game tape. Patrick had a lot of giveaways. Baggio's decision making seemed quite slow and I didn't see him contributing much to our attack.

3. LIZZIE

LIZZIE BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What weather! At least it wasn't too cold, or it would have been truly miserable.

The field was really puddly, the conditions slowed the ball down. Zach certainly got more of a workout than Busch did.

And Section 8 looked great

4. LocoGueroFutobolista

Apr 18, 2004
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    There ya go again, bein' all negative and stuff.

5. LIZZIE

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forgot the most important thing- congratulations to Chris Armas.

He is a class act- standing there in a suit in the pouring rain, he gave a wonderful, heartfelt acceptance speech.

6. burningfire

burningfire Member+

May 15, 2009
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    our final 3rd still needs some work....defense was not bad but that one sneaky flick almost cost us ....
    Banner was good but he needs to get back to his position quick .....

7. ManiacalClown

ManiacalClown Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    South Jersey
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So of course only two yellows tonight. Why do I even bother?

8. UICSoccerFan

UICSoccerFan Member

Sep 11, 2006
    University Village
    It was pouring rain, this was a defensive game, and Nyarko made numerous contributions to that end. He is a damn good defender. Give him credit!

I also saw a Chivas team completely dominated by the Fire, and that domination originated from the midfield. If you didn't see any of Husidic's passes, you weren't paying attention. The kid is talented.

9. TommyMack

TommyMack Member

Jan 24, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Mad props for the amazing turnout in such inclement weather. Yes, I know you are "used to it", but here in LA we'd be down to 4k... it's the truth.

Also insane props for beating Chivas... all the Major Figures in the world's religions are smiling now. See you in Seattle!

Tommy Mack
    LA Riot Squad
    Beckham's Cheerleaders

10. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Thanks. There was no coverage on television. While this is a less than optimal ceremony, it exemplifies Mr. Armas' career.

11. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    I'd feel better if we were eighth best and we had put a ball in the net ourselves in the last 270 minutes of play.

12. ne plus ultra

ne plus ultra Member

Jul 9, 2000
    There was a bit of coverage during the game. Granted it wasn't much, but they flashed to hiim for 5 seconds or so in about the 80th minute. I was watching at a gym, without sound, so I can't tell you what they said.

Or are you saying no coverage on Chicago tv news after the game?

13. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Thank you for taking some pictures. I would like to ask that if anyone appreciated the banners or flag display, please feel free to donate a bit of cash:

https://co.clickandpledge.com/sp/d1/default.aspx?wid=26533

The Whiskey Brothers made two banners for Armas and they ran over budget. Even a few small donations will help encourage more stuff in the future.

Cheers!

14. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oops! I thought you were a lady.

:eek:

Well, like The Presidents of the United States "Bath of Fire" verse says, "there's nothing like a bath of Fire, to get this deep down dirt outta me"...

15. Kozy

Kozy tHE pOPULAR fRONT

Oct 13, 2004
    check.
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree, Nyarko and Baggio both played well...the starting lineup (on ESPN) featured Nyarko at RM and Rolfe at RF...interesting.

Blanco's slide tackle, although he missed, everything, was inspiring...:D

16. Sccrfan

Sccrfan Member

Feb 8, 2003
    If not Baggio who else should have left besides Pappa? Why do you feel he's always the first, or nearly the first one pulled after about 70 minutes? (earlier last night, about the 63rd minute) I will agree that last night was not one of his better games, but it's clear to me that no matter how he does he's not going the full 90, and for me my questioning has more to do with that, then who actually leaves the field so that Blanco can come on.
    I also don't recall what you're saying I supposedly said about Joseph and Baggio or even UIC. It's not that I'm saying I didn't say what you're saying, I just don't recall saying it.

Baggio did have a really nice strike in the second half. I thought he was going to get his first MLS goal. Sadly it was deflected. But non-the-less, a really nice strike.

17. snowblind

snowblind Member

Mar 31, 2002
    n side chicago
    Toyota Water Park.

18. LIZZIE

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you. Attendance was 17,537 Stands looked a bit empty, because masses of people were up underneath the overhangs trying to keep dry

19. LIZZIE

Oct 18, 2001
    Sec 126
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Pitch looked like a Slip 'n Slide

20. Otergod

Otergod Member+

Sep 20, 2007
    indianapolis
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rolfe Banner Pappa Nyarko Baggio... i truly felt all these players played well last night.

21. Tobin

Tobin Member

Mar 31, 2004
    Chicago
    Overall, I don't think anyone had a bad game. In thefirst hal, the Fire looked good but for most of the second half, due to weather and formation, the Fire were just bunkering (but it was effective enough).

http://fire.american-soccer-news.com/?p=478

22. bjgcheese

bjgcheese Member

May 25, 2007
    Despite the constant dropping of points - especially at home and the make shift back 4 over the second half of the season we are in 2nd place in the East.

If Gonzales makes the right call last week. Geiger calls Big Bird for kicking Conde in the face instead of gifting a PK to Crew in last home game. Fire are at 49 and Crew are at 48. I know that there are a lot of calls through the season that tend to even out, but those were both bad decisions - especially when USSoccer pointed out that Padula should have been red carded in the 7th minute of the Crew game. Very close to the Shield. Guess we just have to win the Cup to make up for it.

23. krolpolski

krolpolski Member+

Agree. Baggio's passes were frequently behind the player. And Pappa had a poor performance today, too. Not surprised to see him get subbed.

I have to credit Denis. I liked the line up with McBride up top, with Rolfe behind him and Nyarko on the wing (though he still made poor plays -- but that could be weather/field related), with Blanco coming off the bench. So now if Conde and Segares come back for the playoffs, I'm feeling better about our possibilities.

24. -REY MISTERIO-

Aug 2, 2007
    sYLMAR
    Club:
    CD Chivas de Guadalajara
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    Congratulations you guys have been invited to the big party
    Playoffs, good thing we help you guys cus’ you couldn’t score on us j/k
    Good Luck! Props to section 8 you guys looked ok

25. EastLAChiva

EastLAChiva Member

Jun 26, 2007
    Section 138
    Club:
    CD Chivas USA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Terry Vaughn is douche.

That said, congrats on a hard fought win. Chicago fire deserved the 3 points.