Game 30: Bizzarre possibility.

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by Hattrix, Sep 28, 2003.

1. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    The very last game of the MLS regular season is when Columbus hosts Chicago. Consider this possible scenario:

San Jose has clinched the Supporters Sheild.
    The Fire has clinched the division title, and Metros have second sewn up.
    DC has one more point than NE; NE has one more than Columbus.
    Columbus wins their game against New England this weekend, winning the head to head tie-breaker.

With the Supporters Sheild and division title settled, the game on the 25th would determine our postseason opponent and nothing else. Dig:

If we win, we'd face New England in the quarters.
    If we lose, we'd face DC United in the quarters.
    If we tie, we'd face Columbus in the quarters.

Wierd, eh?

Considering that Nick Rimando just tore his ACL. Chicago might be better off playing United than either of the other options in the Home and Home series. So here's a scenario where an intentional loss in their final game could benefit the team in the post season.

Thoughts?

Of course, if New England beats the Crew on the 28th, this set-up would be a little less interesting, since a tie would have us facing NE. But losing would still screw the Revs, which would be fun.

2. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    This is not as certain as it once was. Tomorrow should be fun...

I don't think it we can tell right now who we want to play, because DC looks like they are getting hot, and who knows what the Crew or Twellman can put together, and we haven't done consistently well against any of the three choices, I think. But it is bizarre...

3. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    Im a little edgey abot whoever we play. I mean, we had one good game against the Revs and against DC but we have had 3 absolute horrific performances against both of them. Havent played to well in the two games against Columbus either. Metro on the other hand.....we own them :)

4. Old Man!

Old Man! BigSoccer Supporter

RIP Chicago Fire
    Mar 11, 2000
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think I'd rather take NE for two reasons.

1.) I think there would be additonal motivatoin to prove the 5-1 shalacking was a fluke, not to mention playoff survival.

2.) We absolutely killed NE in the 2000 playoffs and if things pan out like I imagine, it would recreate that Metro-Fire decider again like in 2000 where we did pretty well.

5. genpabloescobar

Feb 17, 2002
    I vote for wanting to play Columbus. We'd be on the road for the first game of the 1v1, and we always seem to play better in Columbus than in New England or DC. I know we have won in DC, but it seems like we never have.

6. GoFireGo

GoFireGo New Member

Apr 25, 2002
    Chicago
    The aggregate system is going to make things pretty interesting, for better or worse.

7. Hattrix

Hattrix Member

Sep 1, 2002
    Chicago
    NE-CLB tie-breaker. [R]

Here's how these two sides have matched up this year, home team first.

4/19 Revs 1 - 2 Crew
    5/24 Crew 2 - 3 Revs
    7/23 Crew 1 - 1 Revs
    9/28 ... Stop reading if you taped the game...

Revs 3 - 2 Crew

Should those two teams be tied on points at the end of the regular season, the tie breaker goes to NE, thanks to a golden goal by the golden boy, Joey Franchino.

By the way, the scenario in the first post is a possiblity, not absolutely certain. Neither the Supporters' Sheild nor either of the division titles is decided yet.

8. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If the Crew come back to take the 4th spot, or the Revs collapse, we'll be playing them 4 times out of 5 matches. If they do make the playoffs, they will probably have to get a result or two against us in those two regular-season meetings, and that might give them momentum going into the quarters. I still think they are more dangerous than the Revs, anyway, and if for no other reason than variety, I hope we play the Revs in the quarters. So hopefully we do our part in eliminating the Crew before then.