Game 20: Red Stars vs Independence 8/11/10

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Aug 9, 2010.

1. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I see is her not chasing down balls that she could get if she hustled. I see her get a ball in a suboptimal position and then just give up on the play and dump it uselessly to a teammate. It's that kind of thing that drives me nuts about her.

2. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ratdog, it sounds to me like you tend to exaggerate (I'm talking about your evaluations of Nogueira and Asllani's play) but, as I said, you see more of the games than I do and it's for everyone to decide whether your descriptions seem fair enough. I know a lot of Red Stars fans seem to feel the same way but I've also seen the tendency of fans to, well... be a little too much like fans, getting too up when things are good and getting too down when things are down.

But I really don't know. I just hope Chicago does well enough to maintain the interest of its fans because it's a classy organization and the fans are great. Hope things work better next season.

And I think we all agree that, for whatever reason, Cristiane's time with Chicago has not been a successful one. Too bad because she can be a delightful player to watch (when we're not busy hating her for applauding that red card on Shannon Boxx at the last World Cup)

3. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The stats speak for themselves and even the most passing glance of our play backs up the stats perfectly. No exaggeration needed.

Asllani wasn't perfect but from the little we saw of her, she seemed to have more upside than Nogueira. And Nogueira doesn't totally suck but she does need someone to put a boot up her ass or otherwise motivate her because now, after a full season, CRS fans really don't care what she did at UNC. We're all tithe-paying members of the Church of What's Happening Now.

4. galsoccer907

galsoccer907 New Member

Mar 28, 2010
    Galveston
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Asllani and Nogueira are both only twenty one. I'm not giving up on her yet. I'm not sure if Chicago Red Stars is the team for her, but I think she still has potential. Maybe this isn't the place for it, but I think there is definitely a player for her in the league. She could be a great asset for a trade.

5. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. I'm hoping Namazi can get her to raise her game. If she's still this way this time next year, though, maybe it's time for a trade.

6. kolabear

kolabear Member+

Nov 10, 2006
    los angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know about that... but if you say so...(!)

But I assume your observations are valuable to other Red Stars fans, as are the observations of others I read here. Chicago is always good for lively discussion.

7. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, you start with the stats and go from there. Sometimes stats lie but not often (well, not in sports anyway). There's gotta be a reason the stats say that Asllani was getting more goals per minute played than Casey or Cristiane despite having less game minutes than them in which to gel with the team. I have yet to read anyone else come up with a more convincing counter-argument to my take on it but I'm willing to consider one if offered. Until then, as far as I'm concerned, the stats tell me that despite not being big or tall or having a rocket for a leg or the most dazzling dribbling skillz, Asllani did have vision, persistence, guts and enough talent to get it done where others have either failed or at the least not impressed given their hype.