Game 20: Red Stars vs Independence 8/11/10

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Aug 9, 2010.

1. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    Phili did just enough.Good teams can do that. Plus they are the ones that traveled. When they needed the goals they got them.

That's right the ref made the goalie come off her line..

2. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What about McDonald? Could she not play either?

Yeah I dont think anyone understands why Weber doesnt play left back. We've all been screaming for it here but the thing is Marcia loves Spilger. She considers her the best 1v1 defender on the team.

Also about the three back thing, all I'm saying is at some point in the game after the second Philly goal we should have pushed for that equalizer. Maybe not immediately after they scored, but it still should have happened. Instead they played long ball to Masar and Nogueira up top.

But the refs were horrible. I still do not understand how we could be booked so many times when they played just as physical.

3. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I'm talking about the second goal. Where he called a foul on Spilger at the top of the box where it should have been on A-Rod.

ForeverLOST108, I believe McDonald is still hurt.

Also, the players played their hearts out. They weren't lost or disorganized or none of that. They were that under Emma. Not under Namazi.

4. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Still? She wasn't listed out on the roster report. Luckily we have until the 22nd to heal these injuries. Of course Markgraf would be hurt right after we trade Asante.. I hope she is okay as well as Sitch.

What happened to Boquete? Was she sick as well?

5. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Read this interesting but depressing article on last night's game and Red Star's attendance.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/...-lose-again-to-philly-and-at-the-gate-as-well

I think this is B.S. I thought we a had a decent crowd for a Wednesday night.

Boquete has Visa problems.

6. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  7. Hoover

Hoover New Member

Oct 1, 2006
    Close competitive game that got away from Chicago (seems to be the story of their season). Chicago plays very nice possession soccer but spends too much time going east/west and not enough north/south attacking soccer. No real pressure in the final third, the team needs a dangerous forward.

Thought the refs were pretty consistent (on both sides) and not one sided from the webcast view of game. Some of those Chicago fouls on Seger were major hits. Assume the call on Spilger outside the box was for impeding/interefering with the Arod run (didn't she get a yellow card also on the play?, so probably a grab).

Overall, a good soccer game that was intense and competitive as both sides worked hard for a win. This looked like playoff type soccer to me.

Hopefully you will have a better outcome at your next game with WASH.

8. mona

mona Member

Oct 21, 2003
    I believe Stich came on for Cris...the other sub was for the injury to Kate. The write up on the WPS website has A-Rod's goal scored from the left when I believe she caught Dalmy and Markraf too high and Loyden too far out..NOT from the left. Vandenbergh is better than Weber she's just not from Illinois....

9. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You're right I got my subs criss-crossed.

I believe the yellow to Spilger was for arguing the call.

10. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Funny cause I saw A-Rod argue a lot of calls :rolleyes:

11. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I agree. But she's A-Rod. She gets the calls.

12. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    If Markgraff and Sitch are out for a while, who do we play? Asante would have been usefull now. Does Spilger go in the middle and Weber plays on the left? Or does Vandenbergh go in?

Our pool of defenders has dwindled. Heck our whole roster has dwindled.

13. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Spilger would probably move to the middle.. but we do have until the 19th and Markgraf suffered a concussion apparently so hopefully she will be okay by then.

14. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I find most bleacher report articles are B.S. Especially the ones about women's soccer and WPS. So much so that I rarely click links and give them hits anymore.

No, she's not. At least not as a left back.

Vandenbergh seemed to have good/decent success in Australia in the off-season as an attacking player (midfielder mostly). If she is talented at midfield (and there's evidence for that), it might behoove WPS coaches to give her a look there. Of course, I don't think the Aussie league is quite the quality of WPS but I don't think it is a bad league, either. Vandenbergh did not manage to earn significant PT last season or this season. Weber, otoh, established herself as a starter (and good defender) for STL over the course of a season and a quarter (20 starts for them). She is quite good in defense. I'm not from Chicago/Illinois so there's no local homer-ism coming from me in comparing the two.

As for Spilger, Marcia may think she's a great 1v1 defender but she's a horrid passer and gets beat in the other parts of defending (ie tracking/dropping/pulling the back 4 out of shape). It may be a case of Spilger being a natural central defender stuck behind 2 better players but being seen as "too good" of a defender to not play. And is therefore stuck in what has been a problem position (left back) for CRS over 2 seasons. I get that. And for a short bit it seemed like it might work out but she's not getting better at knowing when to cover/drop wide vs step to/chase the ball. But now, imo, there's a quality left back (Weber) just sitting there.

It sounds like Namazi is going to completely revamp the roster in the off season and dump a lot of players. So this discussion will end up being irrelevant. :shurgs: CRS fans can just hope that Cristiane is one of the first players sent packing. Umeå just got dumped out of Champions League play in the first round group -- maybe they'd take her off CRS's hands now thinking she'd help move up the Damallsvenskan table (seriously, I think they're like 8th and aren't going to make Europe next year if they don't make a serious push).

15. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well we've been saying that on here since Weber initially was signed. I dont understand why they dont play her more. It just doesnt make sense.

16. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  17. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dalmy *really* should have done better w/ that header. She was wide open and didn't even get it on frame. And Cristiane absolutely murdered that breakaway. I would have been tempted to yank her then and there.

18. weipenguigumbi

weipenguigumbi New Member

Dec 4, 2007
    I think Weber is actually like McDonald in that she has injury issues plaguing her that for some reason we never know about. I remember reading she was fit for a game once, and then she disappeared into the blue again, so I don't know what her issue could be.

I'm getting the feeling that Cristiane already pretty much has her bags packed under Namazi, which I'm happy about. But isn't the fact that both Asllani and especially Asante would have been really nice to have for this game epically hilariously depressing. I think Hayes is going to be a revelation at Washington, it's clearly CRS with all the bad luck.

And if Loyden doesn't toughen up I think I'm going to smack her. Yes her decision making is poor, but in most of the situations she's screwed up in if she'd toughen up, get more aggressive and actually take control of her box like a Mcloud, Bardsley, or Solo would have she'd actually have probably one of the best shutout records in the league.

In good news... Engen's still a rock star.

19. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    No way 2000 was at the game! Kool aid thinks everyone is full of it who doesn't agree with her. Its funny as I have talked about increased rosters what do you think Red Star fans?? You think you would benefit from them now? So tell me does the added cost of rostering more players make sense or does losing money at the gate because you are losing or you don't make the playoffs make sense?

You win the 1000 more a game pay for the 4 extra players easy!

20. soccerbs

soccerbs Red Card

Jun 14, 2006
    The game was no where near as close as the score shows. Philly played just as good as they had too. That was not a Philly team playing all out! They played to their competition. Also A Rod gets special treatment because she is A Rod. Are you serious? WOW didn't know the league was at that level.

Worry about your players Red Star fans and worry about the coaching.

21. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    me and a few people that sit around me do an attendance guessing game every game and we all guessed somewhere around 3000 or take 100 last night. i don't know what you guys see on the web cam but there were a little over 3,000 people. I know, I'm at every game including MLS Chicago Fire and can reasonably tell around how many people are at the game.

22. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe the reason Philly didnt play "all out" was because they couldnt posses the ball. I'm pretty sure Paul Riley was not pleased with his team after the first half where they only put a single shot on goal from their left back. They got a questionable free kick and capitalized on it which they get all the credit for. Besides their two goals.. their may have been one other decent chance. Otherwise it was all CRS possession and chances. But as you said, apparently this is playing to their competition..:rolleyes:

And yes Philly had the ref on their side, that was apparent just in the boxscore! 4 yellow cards for CRS players but none for Philly? I know the card on Formiga was EXTREMELY soft and she was just as physical as Seger. Not to mention the handball in the box by Magnusdottir.

23. MRAD12

MRAD12 Member+

Jun 10, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    And that time when Mitts grabbed the ball with her full hand while on the ground near the far side close to the penaly box, the ref hesitated like he didn't want to make the call on an apparent handball on her.

That's our story this season. We outplay these other teams pretty much every game and we either can't score or they get some cheap-ass goal early and that's it. Game over.

the difference between this team now and when Emma was here is that back then they would just give up and go through the motions. Now they at least play all out and actually try.

24. ForeverLOST108

ForeverLOST108 Member+

Jan 23, 2010
    Orlando
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's really unfortunate because the talent is all there. I just hope that Namazi really follows all these world cup qualifiers and figures out what players he can bring over.

25. scalvixen

scalvixen Member

Feb 11, 2008
    Southern California
    Club:
    Pali Blues
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    thats right. charlie knows what he is doing and we will make playoffs.