Game 2 Saint Louis Athletica @ Boston (Pre-Match)

Discussion in 'Boston Breakers' started by Mattymags811, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It may be less than 24 hours after their last game, but I've already repressed it. STL. comes into this one after dominating (from what I've read) the Red Stars, but failing to finish their chances. As for the Breakers, Jenny Nobis will be available to us after (finally) receiving international clearance for her move from Sweden. With the four sub rule, she will definitely see time.
    Maybe start Schmedes in place of Latham?

2. TheStatsGuy

TheStatsGuy Member

Jul 8, 2007
    Somewhere, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good to hear about Jenny. I was disappointed in Latham yesterday but I think it's a little early to yank her from the starting lineup. Tony obviously had her in there for a reason and one game doesn't make or break her starting slot for me yet. After that breakaway in the beginning of the game I never heard her name even mentioned again. She was "off" yesterday but I think alot of the team not named Smith was as well.

I will however write off Luckenbill anytime people are ready. I don't like her style of goalkeeper at all. She takes too many chances coming off her line and she's just not "fleet of foot" enough to make up for any error in committment. Her judgement on crosses and set pieces as to when to stay at home or come out was poor, imho. I didn't play keeper my entire career but I played it enough to know she wasn't good yesterday. Hopefully, Lisa can get her going in the right direction!

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm the exact opposite, Statsguy. I'd yank Latham for lack of effort as well as poor play. Even the other players that were subpar performance wise at least looked like the were trying (ie running). Luckenbill looked so rusty I had to check to see if she'd even played in the last year. I'd give her another game or two, though.

If I was the coach, I'd try to figure out how to get some width w/o completely depending on the outside backs to get forward. A formation change might be the way to accomplish that fact.

4. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that both Luckenbill and Latham were both subpar yesterday but I would not pull the plug on them. Luckenbill did play better in the 2nd half than the 1st and I attribute that to being rusty and not facing world class competition in awhile. As for Latham she clearly did not play well but I give her the first half of next game, if she continues not to perform as expected bring in Schmedes or Nobis.

Moore on the other hand needs to find the bench for awhile. She was clearly over her head yesterday. The entire play in the midfield was disjointed. I would slide Lilly back to play defensive mid. Lilly is the captain she needs to be their directing the play of the midfield and the defensive wings, and you need a strong presence in that position and Lilly I think is it. I would slide Bishop into Lilly's spot because Smith and her played well off each other when she came in. And Hucles is a playmaker, she needs to have more touches, find the open player upfront and be more aggresive in her play.

5. socfandan

socfandan Member

Jul 30, 2000
    Eastern Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree. Latham doesn't lose the job forever, but Schmedes should start next. I'd give Lucky some time to get back to speed before changing keepers.

I thnk StLA is going to bring some speed, much like FCGP, particularly after they see the tape of yesterday's game.

I think Moore needs to sit.

Agree on the formation change, what were they playing, a 4-1-2-1-1-1 or something? It seemed like Mitts was the only one on the whole left side, with Lil and Smith and Latham and Rodriguez all clogging the middle with no option other than to play the ball straight forward as they took turns with the one ball. I think Hucles stayed wide, but she didn't see much of the ball and I didn't see much of her so I am actually not sure where the heck she was until she was subbed. If we have a flank option, maybe she should be DMid for Moore, I think she needs play more centrally to be effective.

And Tony really should spring for a suit or something, they say TV adds many pounds, now we have proof.... and I wouldn't be looking for any cabana boys at Harvard this weekend either ;)

6. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not ready to pull the plug on Latham or Lucky yet either...

I would like to see Moore have a seat though...I wonder if Chapman is healthy? I'd like to see her in a holding midfield role.

I cannot imagine any of our players feeling that their performance in San Jose was acceptable...That is the first step. Now they have 4 days of training to sort it out.

I go same 11 minus Moore plus Champan is healthy...if not Schmedes or Nobis with Hucles in teh holding role...

we'll see.

7. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    On a different note, if there is a tremendous turnout for the opening game, will they open up the opposite side for seating? Would they do that for any other home games that fill up the one side I read somewhere would be used for seating?

8. danigirl9

danigirl9 New Member

May 3, 2008
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Independence
    I completely agree with this. At this point, you have to look at what worked--and Kelly Smith was it. So for me, bringing Stacy Bishop into the starting lineup would be a good idea because she and Smith seemed like they had some chemistry.

I would also think about changing captains. Lilly is a great player and a legend for sure, but she's not captain material. She proved that in the World Cup. Some women just have it, while others don't--and Lilly clearly doesn't.

9. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think anyone is thinking about that high of a turnout for the opener. Joe Cummings said in one paper that 5-6 thousand is what they expect.

10. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Reminder for those attending this game and standing on the Dock, we can have streamers, drums, and flag poles so let's do it!!

11. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who says Boston is not a soccer town?

Who says Boston is not a soccer town? This Saturday, the Boston Breakers of Women’s Professional Soccer host the Saint Louis Athletica in their home opener at Harvard Stadium. WPS play will flood the Hub with stars and sounds of the world’s favorite sport.

2. The Breakers have their own A-Rod, minus the steroids, snagging Amy Rodriguez as first overall pick in 2009 draft.

:D

1. Goaltender Ashley Phillips will be protecting the Breakers goal and the Eastern Mass name as the Peabody Mass native takes action Saturday.

Not sure who the author is...Maybe Justine is a Phillips family member/friend?

Or is Tony considering starting our 3rd GK this week??:p

12. nsa

nsa Member+

New England Revolution
    United States
    Feb 22, 1999
    Notboston, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Y'all coming up? It will good to see you again.

Doubtful that we'll have knockout numbers, especially with the wet weather predicted.

13. sokrandlaw5

sokrandlaw5 New Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Somewhere near and f
    We will be there. Had to invest in more season tickets. ;)

14. pressurecooker

Feb 22, 2009
    Boston
    Club:
    Boston Breakers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Stumbled upon an Athletica fitness training session yesterday in which they brought in Richard Simmons to work with Enoila Aluko, Lori Chalupny, Melissa Tancredi, and Angie Woznuk.

Actually make that Little Richard Simmons. :)

Athletica getting in game shape.

[ame="http://s59.photobucket.com/albums/g302/highoctane302/?action=view&current=EddieMurphy-LittleRichardSimmonsSho.flv"]Eddie Murphy SNL comedy - Little Richard Simmons S video by highoctane302 - Photobucket[/ame]

15. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We are going to spank you ladies. :D

Won't there be anyway to see any highlights at all of this game?? Is MA native Ashely Phillips starting or Luckenbill?

Aren't you supposed to be making prediciton here? I say either 1-1 or 2-1 Breakers if I'm to be objective about it.

16. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lucky will start....Phillips is our 3rd keeper.

3-0 Boston.

Solo cries again.

:D

17. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who said Solo cried? She was just pissed at the refs.

18. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And Greg Ryan.

19. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Solo was vindicated since she shutout Brazil and won the gold medal.

Gold Medal Count: Solo-1 Greg Ryan-0 :p

20. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

She still cried like a whining spoiled brat...WHAAAAAA!

I think she'll hear that quite often on Saturday!

Not to mention throwing her teammate under the bus...I wonder if she enjoyed her flight home??

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We need as many Blue and White streamers as we can get our hands on for Saturday!

Everyone that'll be in The Dock PLEASE bring a bag of streamers!! IF you won't be in The Dock for the match feel free to stop by our tailgate and donate your streamers to the cause...

It will be EPIC! :D

22. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    She just told the TRUTH that she could've made those saves. I'm sure Solo flies nice now with a gold medal around her neck. :D

23. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Scurry chant in order? :p

24. Mattymags811

Mattymags811 Member

Aug 18, 2006
    Attleboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Dollar Tree has packages of two for (obviously) $1.

25. REALfootballRulez

May 25, 2007
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What type of attendance projections are you hearing? You guys seem to have a very good marketing campaign. You think you can get closer to 10K than 5K to come out?