Game 19: Red Stars vs LA Sol 8/2/09

Discussion in 'Chicago Red Stars' started by MRAD12, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I couldn't tell for sure, but it was close.

Edit: Not so good the 2nd time around. Feet easily behind the line...throw straight up in the air and nowhere near the goal.

2. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Rapinoe out for Masar

3. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Masar in for Rapinoe.

4. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Massive subs for LA. Han Duan in. She scored very quickly after subbing in the game in Saint Louis. Maybe she's better coming off the bench.

5. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Frida has had a decent to good game.

6. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Agree on Ostberg, but Chicago's defense is really starting to make some shaky plays late.

7. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Almost 8000! Great crowd, Chicago!

8. Pass-n-Go

Pass-n-Go Member+

Jul 5, 2008
    Attendence is a little under 8,000.

9. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Are they all on the sunny side for television?

10. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    When we went to Chicago earlier this year, they had everybody sit on the one side. The stadium is so big, it's just not necessary to open up both sides.

11. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Could we see a WPS match actually end inside of the timeslot?

12. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If I were reffing, I would say 2 min stoppage at the most, but it wouldn't surprise me if she goes 3.

Well, that might change things. At 2-0, the ref might have said it wouldn't matter. At 2-1 though, you might see 3 minutes.

13. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
  14. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    3min it is

15. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    Dagger
    3-1

16. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That time, greed paid off. She chose to go for it rather than pass to a wide open teammate and she buried it.

17. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well done by Chicago. I liked the way they continued to attack, even when they had a lead late.

18. DetroitTFC

DetroitTFC BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 14, 2007
    Detroit
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Good game, I wish I went (was planning to make the trek from Detroit for this game, but inertia set in).

19. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    I hope I didn't come off the wrong way with that question. I wasn't putting down attendance and understand putting everybody on one side. It doesn't make sense to open the entire lower bowl or upper sections. They'd just lose money that way. I feel the same way about MLS teams. I don't want RFK to open the upper deck unless they have to. I prefer seeing people on one side of Gillette and Giants Stadium and Seattle is doing well with tarps. I know Toyota Park has those somewhat incomplete roofs, but my question was because preferred seating in most stadiums is on the shaded side. I was wondering if the seating on that side was chosen for television, it is the main entrance side, simply lower capacity and more suites, or any other explanation.

20. SiberianThunderT

Sep 21, 2008
    DC
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    Spain
    w0ot!
    Great job CHI! I love seeing LA stumble, helps prevent them from extending their lead any more.
    Now just don't bring that kinda performance with you Wednesday, k? :cool:

21. Cville K C

Cville K C Member

Nov 3, 2008
    Collinsville, IL
    Club:
    Saint Louis Athletica
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No, I knew what you meant. You're right, why have to hire security for an entire stadium, when you can cut it down to just the one side. It would be a waste of money. The game earlier this year was the first time I had been to Toyota. It's really a nice venue to watch soccer. I hope I can make the trip back up their next year.

22. Smulan

Smulan Member

Apr 3, 2008
    Garriock? And I missed it?! Damn.

23. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just got back from the game. Great crowd,great game.
    I not sure why they put the stadium club and the preferred seating for both the redstars and fire on the east side in the sun but they did. Maybe because the east side faces the big street Harlem ave.

24. sitruc

sitruc Member+

Jul 25, 2006
    Virginia
    That makes sense. This was just the first time I ever thought about it with Toyota Park. I suppose I should blame the stadium planning and layout.:p

25. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Bittersweet. A great win in an already lost cause.

The most common comment I heard during and after the game was "Where was this play all season?"

I mean, sure, Marta got her chances and shold have scored early on but the win was deserved. We simply played better. And no, I don't think LA was playing simply not to get get injured. The frustrated and disgusted look on Marta's face, the way she tried to rake Lloyd (I think) with her cleats late in the game showed that LA wanted it. I know Bock wanted it in front of undreds of her family and friends. And I doubt Abner wants to go into the Final on a losing streak.

Once again we played as a team. The biggest difference to me is that Carli Lloyd FINALLY brought some game. It was her best and only complete game this year. Great apsses, well taken goal, and she even hustled out there. Too bad she decided to wait until our last home game to bring it. I'd still trade or cut her as I don't want her on this team next year.

Do you think Cristiane was happy to win today's "Battle of the Brasilians"?

Tarpley looked great today becasue she stayed up top at forward rather than retreating into midfield. She should do that every game!

The usual suspects excelled - Klein, Carney and Rapinoe. Our back line was put under great pressure by LA but rarely broke due to teamwork, good reading of the game and positioning that overcame our lack of speed or size.

A special and overdue shout-out to the Red Stars FO, especially Carrie Sear and Greg Zaskowski, who did a wonderful job all season long. They've made Red Stars games a fun and friendly experience even when we lost. The Red Stars are a class organization and really deserved to have more success of on the field. See you all next year!!