Game 16: San Luis v PUMAS

Discussion in 'Pumas de UNAM' started by Disco Dale, Nov 4, 2006.

1. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Couldn't get to San Luis in the end... and it doesn't seem to be on my telly, so I will have to go to a bar... great shame:rolleyes: (I think I will go to "La Invencible" in San Angel, if you are interested)

It seems that Scocco is not suspended, so my guess is 5-3-2..... we need to win really, but so do they... and we have scored only four goals away from home this season (Jaguares, Santos, Cruz Azul and Queretaro)

2. riverplate

riverplate Member+

Jan 1, 2003
    Corona, Queens
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    1-0 victory. Ignacio Scocco at '75.

[​IMG]

As of Sunday morning:

Toluca: 7-5-3, 26 pts. (25/13; +12)[/b]
    América: 7-5-4, 26 pts. (19/14; +5)
    UNAM Pumas: 7-5-4, 26 pts. (16/11; +5)
    Morelia: 6-2-7, 20 pts. (20/23; -3)
    Tigres UANL: 3-5-8, 14 pts. (14/33; -18)
    Santos Laguna: 1-7-7, 10 pts. (18/29; -11)

3. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Such an amazing win, great stuff. That period of 20 mins so early in second half, it really looked like they were taking control, navia scored from an offside position, he then missed a sitter ("my granny could have scored it, with her pinny on", as Cloughy used to say), and RoRo pulled off an awesome save which kept us in it.

As often happens in that sort of game, we managed to sneak one, and that left them backs to the wall.

I think Tuca was correct in playing 4-4-2 to start with, although I would rather Castro at right back, no espinosa, Sancho in contencion, Leandro in front of him running things, Pareja out right and Morales out on the left.

Also, if Tuca really prefers Chupa to Scocco, he must be on drugs. The change in the game came with Moreno and Scocco coming on. Immediately you could see that touch of class Coco has, and we desperately need. The goal was scappy, maybe, but a great powerful header from Moreno. I have mentioned before, I think, that as well as being creative Scocco also has that genuine strikers instinct.

A great poach from him, and very controlled, wold have been very easy to foul the keeper in that situation. And it needed his touch, I think the keeper would have stopped it otherwise.

We've seen him lose his man at corners several times this season, the goal v Veracruz, and then a simliar poach to this one v Cruz Azul, but wrongly ajudged offside.

For this, I think using him as a attackinf midfielder is a waste... he's a very creative, but genuine striker... a proper forward.

And for gods sake, Tuca, use the evidence of your eyes, Gonzalez and Scocco have got to be our striking partnership, and give them both full games..... otherwise this young man will be leaving us for a club that respects his talents more sooner rather than later.

But, this morning, we are joint super-liders with 26 points!! (actually 5th after goal diff and goal scored...still, great stuff, last time we got more than 23 points was the Clausura 2004 with 41... the second championship arrived with only 23 points.

4. DNA

DNA Member

Jul 4, 2004
    Los Angeles
    Missed the entire 1st half, but from what I saw in the second, both teams looked a bit lost, but San Luis just pushed forward and our guys were just holding back. Navia's attempts had me scared for a moment but thankfully it didn't affect the scoreboard. I think after that it leveled off a bit and we were able to get our goal and just hold back til the final whistle.

I must admit I was rather pissed to see Scocco come off the bench as a sub. As Dale mentioned, hes class, and thats what we need, especially in this sort of situation. I wouldn't mind having him as a creative mid, if only we had other strikers who had that scoring instinct. Not really satisfied with Chupa, Reinaldo, and Ariel, but the latter seems to be ther better one on that list.

5. El Kapitan

El Kapitan New Member

Aug 28, 2005
    I'm just glad we won, with Cruz Azul and Toluca tie today we are only one point behind the leaders. With a combination of results we might end up as leaders of the tournament, go figure, the press has talked trash of our team for most of the season, and here we are, only one point behind the leaders of the tourney.

6. John Jagou

John Jagou BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 8, 2006
    Austin, Texas
    Club:
    Pumas UNAM
    That goal -- it looked like Scocco knocked it in with his trasero. Very creative. A huge win.

7. Disco Dale

Disco Dale Member

Nov 29, 2005
    N8
    Santos drawing with Pachuca keeps us 5th overall in GC, and still 6 points clear of them in relegation zone:-

Group`3:-
    Toluca pld 16 27pts +12
    America pld 16 26pts +5 (scored 19)
    PUMAS pld 16 26pts +5 (scored 16)
    Monarcas pld 15 20pts -3
    Tigres pld 16 14pts -18
    Santos pld 16 11pts -11

Descenso bottom 6:-
    1.2600 San Luis 63 from 50
    1.2500 Queretaro 20 from 16
    1.2381 Tigres 104 from 84
    1.2262 Tecos 103 from 84
    1.2024 Pumas 101 from 84
    1.1310 Santos 95 from 84

Also we have the fewest goals conceded in the league, 11 to San Luis' 12 (we were equal, tee hee), so OK not loads scored still, but scoring more than we concede.... thats football......

......and I think a draw v Tigres will get us into play-offs, whatever else happens....