Game 10: LAG @ The Esteemed TFC 5/31/08 [R] P/I/P

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Geneva, May 26, 2008.

1. sanda

sanda Member

Aug 29, 2007
    Virginia
    Becks' playing for T&T game was part of the negotiation with T&T FA for England 2018 World Cup bid. There is no way he will miss that.

Since Landon's back to LAG, will he start for the game in Toronto?

2. shannonhills

shannonhills Member

Sep 7, 2007
    West Hills, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Landon traveled with the team to Toronto, but they're not sure if he'll play yet.

3. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So it's hard to tell from the US Soccer reports, but it looks like TFC will have Edu back as Bradley is releasing all the MLS players for the weekend's games...

4. shannonhills

shannonhills Member

Sep 7, 2007
    West Hills, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great.

5. StillKickin

StillKickin Member+

Austin FC
    Dec 17, 2002
    Texas
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Given who all they're missing for this game and the fact that we will definitely have Ruiz and given how well we played vs. Colorado in the Open Cup for 45 minutes...I'm feeling much more optimistic about this game. We just might pull out a result. Hoping for 3 points, will accept 1 point.

6. ensco

ensco Member

Oct 25, 2007
    Weather forecast is not good (70% chance of rain).

I don't think you'll see guys with groin/hamstring injuries (ie Donovan and Marshall) play if the field turf is wet....

7. ManUnitedForever

ManUnitedForever New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    70% chance of showers makes TFC's field fall flat, plus it's VERY slippery.

Could be 0-0 game unless someone gets a lucky skip on the plastic pitch.

8. ManUnitedForever

ManUnitedForever New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    WE'D BETTER WIN THIS GAME:

OUT FOR INTERNATIONAL DUTY: Amando Guevera, Carl Robinson, Greg Sutton, Jim Brennan
    OUT WITH RED CARD SUSPENSION: Laurent Robert
    QUESTIONABLE WITH INJURIES: Danny Dichio, Tyrone Marshall
    PROBABLE: Maurice Edu

Harmse vs. Frappuccino should be fun to watch!!!!

9. primality

primality New Member

Jun 20, 2007
    The Rose Bowl
    Potential Lineup Vs TFC:

Klein can fill Beckham's role. Roberts is better at Right Back than Center Back. Franchino and McDonald have been the keys to the turnaround of the team. Franchino's passing and confidence is needed on the left side of the midfield. If necessary, I would rather see Gavin subbed in than coach favorite Allen. Gavin brings more to the table at this point. If coach favorite Pires is not ready, then I would like to see Vagenas given a chance in central midfield. Gordon is at his best coming off of the bench.

Roberts........Franklin........Vanney........Randolph

.........................McDonald.........................

Klein......................Pires................Franchino

..................Ruiz...............Buddle.................

Subs:
    #1) Gordon
    #2) Gavin
    #3) Vagenas

10. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Your lineup's not bad, but I haven't seen much evidence to support your statements that 1. Roberts is better at Right Back than Center Back 2. Gavin brings more to the table at this point (than Allen). To the contrary, I would say 2006 & 2007 showed conclusively that Roberts is better at CB than RB. 2008 has shown us that the farther Roberts is from our goal the better, preferably the bench. And perhaps in practice Gavin has been amazing, but I haven't seen anything to indicate he should be going into a game.

11. Skincoug

Skincoug Member

Jul 12, 2007
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    The problem here is that when we've played Franchino on the left (Dallas specifically) we've been able to focus play on the right and rely on Becks to control our attack. I have absolutely ZERO confidence in Franchino to succesfully play on the wing in the traditional sense. When he begins to drift inside (which he will), we certainly can't expect Klein and Roberts to get things done the way that Beckham and Klein would.

I'd much rather see Allen there (or Randolph if need be); atleast they can make things interesting and keep the Reds somewhat honest on that side of the field. I don't see us getting 3 if we have no left. Sure, our options are limited, but Franchino is the worst of them on the left.

12. jbgeach

jbgeach Member

Apr 5, 2005
    Chattanooga, TN
    In regards to Roberts RB vs. CB, Although he is possibly a better CB than RB, he is less of a liablity as a RB.

I don't start Franchino as a wing, expecially in this game, with Edu back, we would be wise to work up the periphery, instead of the middle. I would consider using him as a right back if we want McDonald and Pires in the lineup. That way Randolph can work the periphery.

It should be a fun game.

13. Injury Time

Injury Time Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    anyone know if LD is 100 percent out for this game? or do you expect him to start?

14. drew coho ohio

Apr 15, 2008
    Columbus OH USA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I feel bad for Landon, it seemed that maybe he should not have taken the trip to London in the first place.. if he dresses then he is ready to play-- we will see.. I just think he wouldn't in Toronto, no grass and all.

This should be a very entertaining game. The crowd will be massive...

Edson Buddle vs. Jeff Cunningham*** The Jamacian rematch

Funny story..... here in Columbus when Edson and Jeff Cunningham were teammates Jeff would tell Edson the wrong starting times to practices on purpose, to get Edson in trouble. It was Edson's second year when he was just making a name for himself and getting some playing time. We both had a laugh at the thought of Jeff becoming a bit nervous that Edson would take his job. Jeff is a riot but this was a classic uncool thing to do but Jeff is such a jokester.....

15. minya

minya Member

Mar 27, 2008
    san diego, ca
    If Buddle keeps his form he will join Landon on those cool international trips.

16. sacris00

sacris00 New Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Burbank
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Can he?

17. blackcat11

blackcat11 New Member

Apr 2, 2008
    Landon on his injury and whether he'll play -

http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5guZHpnrJ4HpEZPh64TccllrNwrfQ

18. soccerfan91

soccerfan91 New Member

Apr 14, 2008
    Germany
    I think this is the best formation at the today game:

-----------------------Cronin--------------------------
    --Klein---------Xavier---------Vanney------Randolph--
    ----------------------Vagenas(CM)------------------
    --Beckham--------------------------------Allen----
    ---------------------Donovan--------------------
    ----------------------------------Ruiz-----------
    ------------------Gordon-------------------------

Is Beckham back?

19. Injury Time

Injury Time Member

Sep 2, 2004
    Pittsburgh
    no, he's definitely in Trinidad and will probably be named captain for the match

20. Leedsunited

Leedsunited Member

Jun 14, 2007
    Yorkshire
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Shame about the stars being away, still think we should win though.

The players who come in have to prove themselves, so It will be interesting to see if they can step up.

Would be nice to see John Carvers face if we stuffed them 4-0.

"You're just a fat Geordie wino!"

21. Spry

Spry Member

Apr 25, 2006
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I'll be surprised if Donovan plays. I'll be even more surprised if Donovan starts. Time for Ruiz to make his paycheck. Expect good service from Klien. Buddle continues his rage.

22. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    Me too. Not because he doesn't want to play, but someobdy with some brains (let's say Ruud) should tell him to sit. There's no way he should come back on the turf - and sitting this game is probably means that he'll get a break from one or more of the remaining USNT friendlies.

23. Anglokick

Anglokick New Member

Feb 26, 2002
    Bunch of game day preview links here.

24. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Donovan won't be getting a break from the friendly in Spain. Bradley named him to the roster on Thursday, and pregame reports say he's flying to Spain after the Toronto match. I kind of doubt that Bradley will leave him off the roster for the Argentina match as well - that's just the way Bradley rolls.

25. FlapJack

FlapJack Member+

Mar 3, 2006
    Los Angeles
    That's bad news. Good for LD to get his 100th cap, but I'm pissed off that he'll be tiring himself out flying around the world so he can play along side a bunch of out of work Euro players in a meaningless friendly where he will probably be asked to play out of position by a tactically challenged coach.