Pre-match: Game 1-With Fans! Fire v. NE, 7:30 WGN ESPN+, Fire website stream

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Apr 17, 2021.

?

What will happen this evening at the BIGGEST GAME since last October?

1. Fire Win

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  2. Fire Draw

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  3. Fire Lose

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. Something Stupid will almost definitely happen

11 vote(s)
    61.1%
  5. Malort

8 vote(s)
    44.4%
  6. Rubber Dick

7 vote(s)
    38.9%
  7. Rubber Dick is too good for Matt Reis or his mom

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  8. The EPL sucks more than Matt Reis or his mom

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. I really don't how the Matt Reis' mom thing got started, but I vote for it anyway.

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  10. Hey, we are BACK at Soldier Field. Celebrate!!!!!

4 vote(s)
    22.2%
  11. F*ck, we are BACK at Solder Field. Curses!!!!!!!!!!

3 vote(s)
    16.7%
  12. I will be at the game

5 vote(s)
    27.8%
  13. I will NOT be at the game

9 vote(s)
    50.0%
  14. I'm drunk, so I won't know where I am come game time.

1 vote(s)
    5.6%
  15. Hey, is the Pandemic over? I haven't left my house in 13 months!

2 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I talked to a Revs fan last night after the game. The ref isn't really that good with his game management skills. Beric was visibly frustrated by the 60th minute, so it couldn't have just been home crowd bias if the players were rattled that much by the decision-making.

2. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I liked him because he did exactly what his job asked him to do. I also don't think he's a winger, he's clearly a striker; but those two goals were created because of his ability to hold-up the ball. I'm not gonna say he deserves to start over anyone, but he is a solid supersub in the 75th minute for Beric.

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  3. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    No better than Dax?
    Not as good as Dax or, even, Larentowitz in the day.

goldclover repped this.
  4. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    meant no better than final Fire season Dax, not MLS XI Dax, but still, what a disappointment of a DP

I re-watched the highlights -- Offor does indeed do good work in the build up to the second goal

happens to be involved in the first, but no skill shown in that build-up

just felt like his touch was heavy and his passes errant much of the night

bunge, Jiggly_333 and xtomx repped this.
  5. Inconsistency is the bane of many an arbiter.

6. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

The entrance from the north garage was open they just didn't let me go in because my ticket said gate 6. I also am wanded every match because of titanium in hips..

xtomx and willydonc repped this.
  7. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Our team can't win a header to save their own lives. I expected a loss last night but a draw was fair if not disappointing. Kappelhof minus the rust and/or Pineda will help clear up some of the problems in the back.

Besides that I have a hard time being cynical about last night. It was great to finally be back in the city for a game (even though I no longer live within walking distance of the stadium). Even with only 8k, games at SF feel like a big event, and stuff like the video board presentations are just night and day better than they were a couple years ago. Once my wife gets shot #2 fully, getting to pregame at Flo and Santos or (hopefully) FatPour is going to make the experience over there even better.

8. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the officiating was fine last night, aside from us getting boned on the PK. Felt like the refs let the teams play for the most part and can't recall too many misses or heavy-handedness from the evening aside from that. As Abraham Lincoln used to say 'the refs weren't the problem last night' (paraphrasing).

goldclover and GHjelm repped this.
  9. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    There were one or two calls that annoyed me, but most were around midfield, and not game changers. Unfortunately DOGSO but no PK was probably the correct call in the end. Fire had a few tactical fouls that could have drawn yellows, so I think things were equally unfair to both sides from the official.

10. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I don't understand any praise for Offor. Maybe it is first match nerves that were getting to him. I remember in the first ten minutes or so, the ball was played on the left side were he was, and he just gave up, made no attempt to try to keep the ball in play. He seems to have the speed of Niko, not much. I know that he was a starter in the Latvian first division, (which I consider a step or two below their neighbors to the north Estonia), but MLS is played at so much higher of a level and much quicker. Not sure if he will add anything to this team. Hope that I am wrong.

goldclover repped this.
  11. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    For a 20 year old who came from the Latvian first division in his first game in MLS, I thought he was fine. Not great, but better than I'd expect for a kid in that position.

Jiggly_333 repped this.
  12. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    Probably the best review I’ve seen. I WANT him to win the Golden Boot but what expectations can we really have?

Jiggly_333, xtomx and harrylee773 repped this.
  13. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have to remind myself that it has been only one match. Plenty of time for players to make their mark.

goldclover repped this.
  14. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Yes, but the official line is that they didn’t have any significant additions because they wanted stability in the lineup. So they had a (weird) year together already. The expectation from the technical staff is that the team should have already or should be ready to gel. If they cannot, they absolutely do not deserve more than (?) six games to prove their worth. They’ve already had a year together.

15. CMeszt

CMeszt Member+

Farewell Sweet Prince
    Jan 9, 2004
    Gentrification's Apex.
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    FWIW, Stojanovic received a lot of praise last night for how he performed too. I'll have to cue in on him more next game.

Heitz does seem like he knows how to find diamond in the rough players. I'm not sure yet that he really knows how to pick a squad that succeeds in MLS. Though his general ignoring of defense does fit right in among league GMs....

Jiggly_333 and TyrusRose repped this.
  16. TyrusRose

TyrusRose Member+

chicago fire
    North Korea
    Jun 17, 2019
    This is exactly how I feel. Let's be honest, Heitz's track record is something none of us could ever achieve. The guy has found talent in the past and will continue to do so. My concerns are with his ability to manage a salary cap and how he seems to want to make things more complicated than needs to be (for example signing Aliseda over a sure thing big money transfer). I'm okay with Gimenez because it was a big money deal for someone that is allegedly established. He has yet to play up to his expectations though, but at least it wasn't a gamble on hitting on a diamond in the rough with a DP slot.

xtomx and Jiggly_333 repped this.
  17. Pack87Man

Pack87Man BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 1, 2001
    Quad Cities
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think both views are right. He is clearly a grade A athlete, and his speed and strength was giving the Revs defenders fits. On the flip side, he was all over the place, and not in a good way. I saw enough to be optimistic about him going forward, but I'd rather see Aliseda start.

18. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Welp...for good or bad...the Fire will be exciting to watch this season. I think they will be and do better then last but curious to see how much. Offor impressed me some but defensively I think he is weak. Aliseda...I am not sold on him at all yet. Gimenez needs to cover better when Sekulic and Bjornstein move up and attack and I would keep Sekulic in there. I like him. The rest of the attack seems very dangerous but by the Goddess that defense can be so good and yet so bad at the same time. Just my little two cents.

GHjelm and xtomx repped this.
  19. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The MLS power rankings said something along the lines of:

If the fire ever figure out how to not give up multiples goals while winning, the league is in trouble. I couldn't agree more. Hopefully Pineda can take over for Calvo in the middle and this should get a little better. That would mean benching the capitan, though.

20. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    seems like Giminez escapes much blame for the defensive failures -- I realize he's not the guy holding the bag at the end of a bad goal, but seems like he's not really doing much as a destroyer to limit pressure on the back line

bunge and goldclover repped this.
  21. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Let’s hope Pineda is able to just clean up behind Calvo.

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I am not sold on Pineda, either, but benching Calvo would be a good start (or, better yet, signing someone more capable and then releasing him).

If we need a central defender to "just clean up behind" behind our "star" (as in team captain and high priced player) central defender, that points to a major deficiency in the "star" central defender.

Pineda needs to be more than a "DoodyCalls Scooper" like in Parades. Hey, at least the horses in the parades provide something for crowds (in addition to pooping, much to the delete of 7 year old kids).

I have yet to see Calvo do anything that makes up for the numerous bonehead plays.

[okay, maybe I am going a bit far here]

23. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Honestly I want Pineda replacing Kap. I like Kap as an all around sub for cdm stuff.

24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    #74 bunge, Apr 21, 2021
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    None of our three CBs are grade A starters. If Kap ever was, it was as the #2. Calvo shows it and then ********s it up. Pineda may be it one day but doesn’t have as high of highs as either of the other two, at least as of yet. That said his bar may be higher.

I would add that Kap is on his way down, Calvo has plateaued and Pineda is on his way up.

Time for my annual call for the 3-5-2!

GHjelm, xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  25. juicecrewallstar

Chicago Fire
    United States
    Mar 1, 2019
    name your XI in a 3-5-2

bunge repped this.