PBP: GAME 1: Fire v. Philthadelphia Union (2/24 6:30 MLS SP)

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by xtomx, Feb 23, 2024.

?

WELL? What happens as we kick off the 2024 Chicago Fire !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Season?

1. Fire Win

9 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Fire Draw

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  3. Fire Lose

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  4. Fire play bravely but lose to a better prepared opposition

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Something STUPID happens

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  6. NOTHING stupid happens, we are a grown ass team now!

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  7. Cuypers scores 2 goals in a spectacular debut

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  8. The Fire win and Curtin resigns out of shame (and then joins the Fire staff on Monday)

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  9. Malört

12 vote(s)
    50.0%
  10. Rubber Dick!

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  11. Raccoon invades Philadelphia looking for stale hotdogs/popcorn and those bastards kill and eat HIM!

7 vote(s)
    29.2%
  12. Hell, they boo Santa Claus! They eat our beloved raccoon.

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  13. Gritty (metaphorically) pees on Sparky

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  14. Gritty actually pees on Sparky in the most Philadelphia thing ever

4 vote(s)
    16.7%
  15. i will watch at an official watch party

2 vote(s)
    8.3%
  16. I will watch at a bar

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  17. I have renewed my MLS Season Ticket

10 vote(s)
    41.7%
  18. I just learned I can have MLS Season Ticket WITHOUT Apple TV+ (I just learned that)

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  19. Why didn't T-Mobile offer the free MLS Season Ticket this year? (cheapness from Apple, apparently)

3 vote(s)
    12.5%
  20. I have better things to do with my time. (Yeah, like that actually applies to any of us)

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I do not think offsides should be based on hands. I think it should be based on a part of the body a field player can use in the run of play...such as head, chest, leg or foot. That is my own opinion and not sure what the rules actually are or enforced for around the world.

xtomx and Fuegofan repped this.
  2. bunge

bunge BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 24, 2000
    VAR sucks in part because there is no standard around the world. Hell, there is no standard within specific tournaments like the FA Cup. Some games had it, some didn’t.

I still contest that it exists to make the bookies happy, not the players or viewers. It degrades the quality of games.

xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  3. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree 100%. The only times I actually want VAR intervening on offside calls is when the initial call is wrong by a pretty wide margin. Unfortunately, it seems like we have to accept that we either have to deal with the occasional obviously bad call or analyze down to the millimeter and make calls that go against the spirit of the rule.

milicz and xtomx repped this.
  4. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    In the post game recap show they mentioned how Cuypers only had one shot and that Shaqiri needs to be the second assist man delivering the ball to the open player that will get it to Cuypers. I’m still not a fan of one striker formations but this is something I agree with. The pundits did also say that everyone will still complain because Shaqiri won’t show up in the box score but that Guti should be the front and center #10.

goldclover and xtomx repped this.
  5. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    I thought the MLS Assists included hockey assists...no?

6. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    He didn't get one for Guti's goal.

7. Are you describing a key pass? Dax McCarty was a perennial league leader in key passes.

Martininho and goldclover repped this.
  8. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    I got pulled away (by family event) at half time last night and just finished watching.

Wow, quite an exciting game! And both teams have to feel like they lost 2 points

Best news, despite not anywhere near "full form" we tested a well oiled Union team that hasn't lost at home in FOUR YEARS.

The Gutman injury...FFS...immediately impacted the game and became the soft spot the Union hit and again and again and again. If the injury is serious we will have have to adjust.

Brady in the box and between the posts is top shelf, but his distribution is poor.

Defensively, the guys played fairly well. Czichos and Pineda in particular were solid. Pineda covered a lot different spaces and showed his utility. The outside backs were beat regularly but would fight back and make things hard enough for the help to arrive.

CDMs, Gimenez is beginning to remind me of Calvo...strong play 95% of the time and then a few odd/poor moments. Herbers is actually improving...impressive at his age. Clearly CDM is not his best fit position, but he did the job AND participated in the attack...strong performance. Acosta is strangely out of shape and yet "clicked" with a couple of teammates. He doesn't look like he want's to play in a dual pivot and probably shouldn't...he's got a lot of range and is clearly a good addition...will be interesting to see how Frank gets him to fit.

AMs, GUTI!!! He's defense wasn't great, but he didn't have much help behind him. His offense was another step forward in his progression. Lovely instinctual shot and score! Plus the unselfish touch assist for Fabi was really nice. MHS continues to impress, and (for me) that was MHS's best performance for us! After this game he has earned the starting role for the immediate future. Shaq played fairly fell, but still not to his expected level...no specific complaints, but he was the least impactful of the 3 AMs. Giving him the armband is an interesting choice...hope it doesn't blow up in our faces.

Strikers....Cuypers reminds me a lot of Niko...good movement and good instincts...clearly no "sync" with the team, but likely to score 15+ this season. Barlow worked hard and showed why he's not a starting striker in the league.

Coaching, it's easy to second guess things that don't "work out" but I liked all of Frank's moves. XI, tactics, subs. No indications of Curtin "out coaching him". Seems to be leaning in on the passion side of things, which is who he is. Fabi starting against his former club and getting the band after Shaqiri's substitution...felt like Frank getting the most out of the passion part of the game.

Conclusion, we were a huge under dog. So an opening day point, on the road, against a top east team is a good start:thumbsup:

Cuypers and Acosta are clearly going to raise the level of the team. Unless Gutman is back soon, something with the outside backs is going to have to change. Based on softness at LB, plus MHS's better range than Guti or Shaq, plus Acosta having played LM for most of his LAFC run, plus the MHS/Acosta connected play...I'd like to see MHS - Guti - Shaq across the AM and Acosta at LDM. Make Gaston and Arigoni cover Shaq's defensive duties and stack up MHS, Acosta and Dean? on the left...or does Frank dare play Fabi at left back?!:ROFLMAO:
    upload_2024-2-25_23-7-49.png

9. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Shaq's holdup play on Guti's goal was great to see. For a long stretch of the game Shaq played with fire...hustled and covered as well as didn't 'mope/laze'. I do not expect him to play defense but with the armband there was a different fire in him. His set pieces were oddly not so impressive alas. His pass springing MHS was gorgeous and I cannot wait to see that sort of connection with Cuypers. As far as Klopas...weeeeeel....he did fine considering but Curtin truly outplayed him with the same exact play ever single goal/non goal Philly had. Klopas never got the right guy/formation or what not to stop that. I love Pineda but why did he start over new supposed stud Solquist? I still have not heard where he was. It was just one game but if Gutman is out awhile and Gaspar is not better then I already oddly miss Miggy.

bunge and harrylee773 repped this.
  10. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Apparently not as Shaqiri is listed on the MLS website with zero key passes for the season.

willydonc repped this.
  11. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    After rewatching it, Shaqiri’s hold up was ‘important to the posession’, but I can see why it wouldn’t be considered an assist or key pass.

That goal was all Guti…dribbling 3 defenders and lacing it. We should be talking more about his play there than Shaq’s :rolleyes:

12. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    But Fabi gets the accidental assist.

Frank out coached Curtin out of the gate. .02 xG for Philly in the first half. We completely shut them down. Curtin made key adjustments at halftime and the game got competitive.

13. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    That’s silly…

14. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    upload_2024-2-26_8-59-14.jpeg
    Frank did a fine job, but in general they had us under pressure from the moment Gutman went down.

schroncar repped this.
  15. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lots of great comments and some good ideas. I would like to get Mueller on field with MHS to generate an additional scoring threat and better defense. Hard to overlook Hair Bears good play- left back?

With Acosta (and maybe a new YDP winger soon), MHS development, Mueller potential, it is getting harder and harder to play Gutierrez and Shaqiri at the same time.
    Gimenez has exhibited “Calvo Moments” for years- nothing new.

16. milicz

milicz Member+

Dec 2, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Poland
    Are we really arguing over this? I won't educate you on reading graphs, but this Fotmob version shows pretty much the same thing, except the peaks indicate things a bit better.

Screen Shot 02-26-24 at 09.08 AM.PNG

As you can see the momentum in the first half was negligible for Philly compared to half 2. Philly had 2 shots in the first half, 0 on target, 0 big chances, 3 corners, .02 xG. Half 2 they had 15 shots, 6 SOT, 5 big chances, 3 big chances missed, 7 corners, 2.14 xG.

Take a guess which of these Philly shot maps is from which half and tell me again how we were under pressure from minute 2:
    Screen Shot 02-26-24 at 09.13 AM 001.PNG Screen Shot 02-26-24 at 09.13 AM.PNG

17. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Not looking for an argument…
    I’m not inventing the 1st half struggles to ‘play out of our end’…the TV crew stated it multiple times and that Sofascore graphic seems to support it.

As mentioned in my earlier post, I do believe Czichos and Pineda were solid and limited the number of shot.

Did Curtin double down on the Gasper/Guti soft spot, in the second half, absolutely.

goldclover and harrylee773 repped this.
  18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I absolutely disagree. Frankly, with "MHS development, Mueller potential," it should be getter easier and easier to play Gutierrez and Shaqiri at the same time.

It is simple, play Acosta instead of both Gaston "Calvo Moments" Gimenez and Federico "Yellow/Red Card in waiting" Navarro.

Then there is room for another attacking midfield option or, move Shaqiri to a second striker, slightly behind and to the right of Cuypers.

I just cannot fathom why people would not our best offensive team on the field.

IF, and that is a bit IF, we do sign a YDP winger AND it is someone superior to Jairo Torres, would not that player replace either MHS or Mueller in the starting line up?
    However, since there are not even any credible rumors about that happening, it does not even need a second thought at this point.

bunge and milicz repped this.
  19. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You make some valid points. My comments were made assuming a 2 DM formation. I previously suggested a change to a single DP ( Acosta, 4-1-4-1) but there has been no indication this is even being considered.
    I feel more and more the need for two speedy outside players who can/will also play some defense. 3-2-4-1 - ??
    Maybe but the squad is not really structured for that formation.

xtomx repped this.
  20. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It's been one game, and in that one game, Herbers started as "second CDM." However, he played in a more advanced position (as he should).
    Also, Acosta just joined the team and only played a few minutes.
    So, I would say there has been no indication either way.

goldclover and milicz repped this.
  21. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    All right. It definitely is early and maybe something good will evolve. Interesting.
    I was thinking more of (winger- Guti- Shaqiri- winger) for that row but maybe it will be (winger- Guti- Herbers- Shaqiri) on offense instead with him playing right mid when on defense. Would need to start
    MHS at left outside and Guti at AM.
    Herbers is not who I normally think of when envisioning a speedy outside winger who scores and also plays good defense but……..

xtomx and goldclover repped this.
  22. Since MHS is the only attacking player willing & able to track back & Arigoni is the only defender fast enough to catch up to mistakes, I don't envy the running any single #6 must do with this lineup, even Navarro.

overlap_old_coach and goldclover repped this.
  23. schroncar

schroncar Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 2, 2007
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #173 schroncar, Feb 26, 2024
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2024
    If MHS drops back and Herbers slides to right mid and both play good defense, it may work. (4-1-4-1 or 2-3-4-1 on offense, 4-3-2-1 on defense) Late game with lead, add Navarro and bench either Gutierrez or Shaqiri.
    Late game trailing, add winger, drop Herbers switch to 4-4-2?

willydonc and goldclover repped this.
  24. bunge

Oct 24, 2000
    Because he passed the ball to the shooter that scored the goal?

milicz and goldclover repped this.
  25. overlap_old_coach

Chicago Fire
    United States
    May 2, 2022
    Because there was nothing special about that pass that directly influenced Guti taking the shot...

Shaqiri's multiple through balls to Cuypers and MHS where much more "xA like"...