GAME 1: Fire @ Seattle Backwaters 3/1/20

Discussion in 'Chicago Fire' started by SixKick, Feb 23, 2020.

1. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Castle Pines, CO (or often elsewhere on earth)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    FT 2 - 1 Seattle. I'm glad the season has begun.

harrylee773 repped this.
  2. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    Oh no, we suck again!

Mikebsiu repped this.
  3. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we had a real RB for this game, we would have won. Still overall an encouraging performance (given the available lineup), but I don't like how we dropped off after scoring the opening goal.

4. goldclover

goldclover Member+

Mar 25, 2010
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    All Morris but other then him...Fire were...ok.

NotHelmut repped this.
  5. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've never been in the "I hate Jordan Morris" club, but I'm sending in my dues right now.

6. wolvesfirehope

Chicago Fire, Detroit City FC, Swansea City, Chicago Red Stars, Edgewater Castle
    United States
    Apr 6, 2018
    it seemed like we controlled the game pretty well until the last 20 minutes and then started running around like a peewee league. that might come with everyone getting used to each other after a few more games, and some reinforcements.

sad we lost but feel like it looked a lot better than the last 10 years.

7. Fanaddict

Fanaddict Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    streamwood IL USA
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New owner new gm new coach and new players but some things don't change blowing leads and losing late. Considering how many potential starters we were missing I can't be too unhappy.

Jiggly_333 and Pablo Chicago repped this.
  8. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No answer for Morris. He did what he pleased and was unmarked in the box. Apart from that, not a bad performance for a completely overhauled squad that isn’t at full strength yet, so dare I say I’m hopeful.

9. Andy Zilis

Andy Zilis Member+

Mar 9, 2005
    Rochelle, IL
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This game tells me that our lowest expectations should probably be raised. We aren't going to have several of our presumed starters for a few weeks, yet we still looked pretty good.

That said, I'm not sure how good Seattle actually is. I have a feeling if they lose Morris for any extent of time this year, they're going to struggle. Their defense looked bad.

goldclover and harrylee773 repped this.
  10. GHjelm

GHjelm Member+

Apr 23, 2008
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Not the best result, but very encouraging performance. This is a playoff team and will only get better with the new signings.

11. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    An adequate RB would make a big difference.

12. harrylee773

harrylee773 Member+

Jul 28, 2004
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The team honestly looked better than I anticipated even though I really had no idea what to expect. We had a few chances that would’ve changed the outcome had we converted and we seemed to lose attacking steam toward the end, with poor marking costing us in stoppage, but I wasn’t sure we could hang with the champs for 90 and we did. Considering there are still a few players that we can expect to contribute that didn’t play, I’m a little more optimistic than I was at the start of the day despite the disappointment.

13. Pablo Chicago

Pablo Chicago Member+

Sep 7, 2005
    Sweet Home Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Take that shit to the optimism thread! ;)

GHjelm and skinut repped this.
  14. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, for the optimism thread, I saw enough today that I just booked for Orlando in 2 weeks. I'll be in Scotland on spring break for the home opener, but this will give me a taste.

15. pena pirata

pena pirata Member+

Sep 28, 2013
    Batavia
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I blame the loss on the new logo.

GHjelm, SixKick, krolpolski and 7 others repped this.
  16. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Famous last words...

SixKick, Jiggly_333, chiladd and 2 others repped this.
  17. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was in the 1st half. . .

18. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    Oops.

19. Pennsylvania Dave

Jul 31, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Yeah. I got tired of trying to find a way to watch the game without actually leaving the house so I was reading and catching up and watching highlights. I gathered there were two called back offsides goals for the Fire? Is that correct?
    This will give you a taste! I'm jealous.
    image.png

Martininho repped this.
  20. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was RIGHT (while it lasted).

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  21. skinut

skinut Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2000
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, correct - 2 goals for the Fire called back for offside in the 1st half.

Pennsylvania Dave repped this.
  22. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    We had two guys who are essentially 3 or 4 in the depth chart on the field in the final twenty minutes or so.
    Azira and Bronico are behind Pineda as a DM sub . Granted Bronico may be #2 at RB right now.. but we should keep that in perspective. Not to overly bash either player .. but they were the contributors to the loss.

23. Jiggly_333

Jiggly_333 Member+

Chicago Fire
    Mar 8, 2015
    Corner of Bedlam and Squalor (It's that way ->)
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    Japan
    I think before the match I'd have been fine with a 2-1 loss. During the match, we should've won. The Fire actually looked dominant for a long stretch in the first half and even after the Seattle goal that was called back.

The Fire were only at like, 33% strength and they were able to dominate the defending champs (even if they were also tired and shorthanded). I can't wait to see what we look like when everyone's together. I declare Optimism Season open!

Also, Djordje isn't that good. A lot of poor decisions in the first half and some bad moves. Sure, he got an assist, but there was a lot of just being in the right place at the right time to have that assist. Bronico isn't a right back at all, so obviously he'd suck there. Sekulic and Aliseda will take those positions for them. Maybe Djordje will move back and take Herbers' position, although he wasn't bad today.

Medran finally showed up and Beric looked dangerous. Bornstein is a great influence at left back. Pineda will be rookie of the year. Still waiting for Kronholm to fvck up so Bobby takes his job.

sportscrazed2, chiladd and skinut repped this.
  24. chiladd

chiladd Member+

Mar 21, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Correction .. that is three players that are at least 3 in the depth chart and all three had a hand in the loss .
    Azira completely blew his coverage on the set piece and Collier just stood there and let Morris have acres of space .

25. Sting111

Sting111 Member+

Jan 17, 2011
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I was expecting a 0-3 loss, so not really disappointed. Some random thoughts on the game.
    • Loved seeing the Fire Supporters in Seattle. Well done!
    • Beric seems like a very versatile player. Scored the goal and was not afraid to give abuse and take it. He seems like a great addition!
    • Gutsy sub putting Collier in for Mihailovic. Wicky was playing to win. I like that. It seems like the game has passed Mihailovic by. Why not try to win this match and go for it?
    • Jordan Morris is much better than I give him credit for. He won the game for Seattle today. That said, we do have a capable right back joining the team that should help us against players such as Jordan Morris.
    All said, not that disappointed by today's result. I can definitely see the Fire going into the home opener with a 1-1-1 record.

While losing a match in stoppage time sucks, this team has real potential to be pretty exciting this season. At least that is what I am hoping for!