Gallup Poll: religiosity of each state

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by bright, Feb 5, 2010.

1. bright

bright Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Central District
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gallup conducted a poll asking "Is religion an important part of your daily life?"

Here are the results, by state: http://www.gallup.com/poll/114022/State-States-Importance-Religion.aspx#1

Here's a map:

[​IMG]

An interesting note that is not mentioned in the article: I would assume that almost all respondents in the South were referring to some form of Christianity, while places like New York (Judaism), Michigan (Islam), California (Buddhism) would have relatively more respondents referring to other religions.

2. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Those people are such small parts of the population that I don't think they would have any influence on this graph.

3. tomwilhelm

tomwilhelm Member+

Dec 14, 2005
    Boston, MA, USA
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That map is almost exactly as I would have imagined it.

4. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm surprised that California is listed as religious as it is. I'd thought it would have been listed as least. Perhaps they counted global warming zealots.

5. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    get with it, buddy. it's climate change!

the buzzword for the new century is "change". the old French saying ( Plus ça change, plus c’est la même chose ) cannot be true, apparently.

but back to religiosity: California has its bastions of political conservatism, which is often accompanied by religious practice.

6. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me too. I would have expected the Dakotas to be maybe a smidge lower.

7. Barbara

Barbara BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not so much.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
  9. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    and you think he hasn't yet? how about the influx of people from the Plains States during the Dust Bowl years?:eek:

10. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    God has certainly punished Oregon and Washington with people moving up from California.

11. Dr. Wankler

Dr. Wankler Member+

May 2, 2001
    The Electric City
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    The state Homer Simpson called "America's wang" is nowhere near as dark as I would've expected.

12. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Maybe God punished California by sending lots of people from Latin America.

It feels good to be the instrument of God's wrath. :D

13. Dyvel

Dyvel Member+

Jul 24, 1999
    The dog end of a day gone by
    Club:
    Leeds United AFC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Watch out for all the people from NJ heading that way

14. Bochum Danno

Bochum Danno Red Card

Nov 2, 2009
    Nashville
    Club:
    VfL Bochum
    Jews and Catholics don't count in the poll

15. Pathogen

Pathogen Member

Jul 19, 2004
    Like you care.
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Muslims blowin' the curve in Michigan? I don't think so. Ever been to Grand Rapids? There's your answer. Michigan's shit-kicker population rivals that of some smaller states in the South.

16. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    the agribeesinees in California would collapse w/o the Latinos.

17. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    California would collapse without the Latinos. Well, it's collapsing anyway, but it would collapse faster without us.

18. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    who's "us"?

there hardly more "argentine soccer fans" in California than Austrian expatriate governators.

19. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    50 bucks says you aren't a PNW native...

20. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Us Latin Americans. We are the instruments of God's wrath by destroying your culture, but also the instrument of God's mercy by keeping your economy from collapsing completely.

:D

21. ratdog

ratdog Member+

Mar 22, 2004
    In the doghouse
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Talk is cheap

A much more interesting study would be to find out where religion actually IS an important part of peoples' daily lives, not to mention if they actually follow the ethical codes and practices laid down by their respective churches/temples/ synagogues/mosques/stone circles/sacred groves/etc.

22. jsimm

jsimm Member

Jan 23, 2004
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Talk is cheap

So, what we need is a survey that will tell us what people believe in their hearts as opposed to simply showing up for the head count? I think, Christians at least, would call that judgment day.

23. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Talk is cheap

while i get your point, i think that was the point of the survey. the problem is that most people think they follow much better than they do, because most of us are more like Pharisees than like what Jesus called his disciples to do.

what stands in for discipleship, in a large percentage of people, especially among Christians, but i would suppose the same to be true for others, is that we do what we can to obey the principle of not doing wrong, when doing wrong would be significantly less advantageous. and when i say "significantly less advantageous", i mean that the short- or long-term costs of doing wrong are outweighted by the perceived short-term benefits.

to cite an example: many Christians agree that we should never harm someone, regardless of the provocation. ( i'm not talking about self-defense )

but we will very easily try to prevent someone from getting ahead of us in traffic or take the slightest opportunity to "teach someone a lesson", even though it's none of our business what they've done.

one of the reasons for this is that we don't make a point of training people to be free to act as Jesus would act in the same circumstances. "free to act as Jesus would act" means that we have subjected our agenda/objectives to God in such a way that we are obeying Him in His way.

the profoundest intent of WWJD was to search out that concept and act on it, but it became trivialized because of a couple of factors, not the least of which is that doing what Jesus would do almost always causes some suffering.

suffering is not popular.

24. Barbara

Apr 29, 2000
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True enough. But I'm also not from California. It's not people from the East Coast retiring to Oregon who mightily contributed to the real estate bubble in Bend.

25. royalstilton

royalstilton Member

Aug 2, 2004
    SoCal
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    i heart Bend. sadly we won't be going thru Bend anymore, mostly because there are so few chances to find help in a medical emergency between Bend and the Columbia River Gorge that it would be almost foolhardy for someone my age ( :eek: ) to make the 3 hour drive from Bend to The Dalles.

i don't heart I-5 or I-84.