Alert: Gallardo: ¨MLS is NOT a easy league¨

Discussion in 'Alumni Forum' started by EL MONO MARIO, Feb 24, 2009.

1. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On a radio show dedicated to River, Gallardo talked about MLS and his time in DC. Few tid bits.

“ I liked DC´s mentality, they were every different from the other MLS clubs. They wanted to leave their own mark.. Did not get caught up in the Beckham hoop la, A very serious organization.”

“I had other offers, but DC was reasonable… It was in the US and the team was serious.”

“ I REGRET being injured. I wish I could have played more… MLS is NOT an easy league it requires you to be physically at your best. Although most players are not skilled on the ball, they are fast… The American player needs to feel the game more. Be more creative, there were times I felt my teammates were afraid to take chances and it hurt us in some games”

“ There were always 15,000 to 20,000 people at our games. The fans were very into signing and jumping up and down… There was a latin flavor at DC games. It was very nice to see. Soccer has a future in America.”

"Dispite the bad season we did win the US Open cup..... (explained it was th Copa Italia of MLS.... But we just could never get started in the league."

2. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Seems like a class guy, he could take the easy road and slam everything MLS, but he offers constructive comments.

3. Pan-T Clause

Pan-T Clause New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree with him, especially the bit about imagination.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Nice comments. Fair comments.

5. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yep. I think his comments are pretty much what an unbiased person watching the league would say, especially from a DC perspective.

6. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    He has 1.8 million reasons why not to slam MLS.

7. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Beckham had 250 Million reasons not to slam MLS and he did.

8. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well, that just goes to show you who has class and who doesn't.

9. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gallardo is a classy guy. I will miss him.

10. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    completely off topic, but Beckham doesn't make that much money in MLS (he earns 6.5M for playing soccer each year in LA).

and Beckham has not said anything that would be considered slamming MLS, and his comments haven't been significantly different than the reasonable and fair comments from Gallardo.

11. tab5g

tab5g Member+

May 17, 2002
    very true.

but the athletes in MLS more often than not realize their skill limitations, and shy away from the imaginative moves (as those often lead to failure within the style and capabilities of a typical MLS team).

a lot of skill (and some guys in MLS have that) is required if a player is going to go heavily into the imagination department.

again, as others have said, there are nice comments and fair comments from Gallardo about MLS and his time in DC.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for passing these comments along. Very nice and fair comments; he seems like a class guy.

13. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    And alot of guys have that coached out of them during development - coaches yelling at them to "stop hot-dogging and play team ball", etc. Like how you coach football or basketball at the youth level (although basketball now seems to have gotten over this almost too much and encourages flair maybe too much sometimes).
    I bet alot of players are scared to use their imagination for fear of being disciplined for not passing.
    There needs to be a fine line, but that's asking alot from some coaches, especially at youth level - you'd think college coaches would encourage the guys' freedom some.

14. Pan-T Clause

Pan-T Clause New Member

Oct 21, 2004
    Silver Spring
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You can pass and still use imagination, like how gallardo did last year(when he wasn't injured) by playing the ball into space that someone should have been running to, but no one did most of the time.

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I actually think more of it comes from the American mantra that defense wins championships. Outside players are probably discouraged from looking for inventive runs and making themselves available for a pass that might not come because they might open up a lane in the back.

Forwards stop and play the ball back far too often for my liking in MLS. Go forward, put the defender on their heels, possibly force someone to come and help out and open a pasisng lane.

In other words, Ihate how the New England Revolution play soccer.

16. NYC_COSMOS

NYC_COSMOS BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 13, 2007
    Queens, NY
    Club:
    CA Vélez Sársfield
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    NO, his contract is for more than 6.5mil. His image rights bring that number up considerably. While he might only get 6.5 to play, he walks away with ALOT more because of his liason with MLS. Hence the 250 million reasons to be nice to MLS. I would even go as far as saying "he should promote it anywhere he goes".

Oh wait.

17. JeremyEritrea

JeremyEritrea Member+

Jun 29, 2006
    Takoma Park, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To continue your threadjack

His MLS contract is $5.5 - $6.5 mil per year. His endorsement deals are not part of that MLS contract.

Also, please link to some quotes from Beckham slamming MLS.

18. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    wow, this got moved to alumni fast - and I think incorrectly, but what do I know. It isn't like it is a thread ABOUT Gallardo, but about something he said about the team and league in general. If Goff (or Ray Hudson) had said it, it would be in the main forum, what's the diff?

Beckham I don't think has "slammed" MLS, but he sure hasn't said anything very nice about it. "frustrating", "few skilled players", etc.

19. La Barra Blonde

Oct 21, 2007
    Section 135
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It might be "very nice" but it's certainly true. I don't think he was saying it to be mean, just trying to tell it like it is. And it's not like Beckham is the only one saying these things.

20. Barracudas

Barracudas Member

Nov 13, 2008
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ditto!

21. Bolivianfuego

Bolivianfuego Your favorite Bolivian

Apr 12, 2004
    Fairfax, Va
    Club:
    Bolivar La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia

Good to hear he had nothing but positive things to say, and didnt slam the team or league. I think it was made clear the type of ORG. we are the second we made contact with him, and presuade him to come to us.

Its good to know he is passing the word about our heart that we have everygame, and our fans.

I found his comments right on, especially with the taking chances part. That is something that is apart of latin american soccer, taking chances with imaginative moves, back heels, etc. This country still doesnt get it, and considers it 'hot dogging'. Its all in the mentality of the coaches that made these players growing up, maybe in time it will change. Because thats half the fun in playing soccer, is taking chances, and either looking like a god by a cheeky move, or failing at it and getting a laugh at yourself later.

Im glad that gallardo came here, and i wish he would have stayed a little longer and played out his whole year, but things happen for a reason. Hopefully he shines in river and can retire in peace.

With that said, how is he doing over there? I know he still hasnt played for River yet. Is he still recovering? I know The Ogre lol Fabbiani is playing real well for them.

22. ongreystreet

ongreystreet Member

Jun 10, 2008
    Columbia, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beckham can't say anything, because everything he says is in English and covered by all different types of media outlets.

It says a lot of Gallardo to not only say those things, but he could have easily slammed DC United and MLS while doing a club radio show on the other side of the world.

23. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Exactly. I love the league, but just because someone points out its shortcomings does not mean that they are slamming it. From what I have seen, beckham has only said that soccer will take another 10 years or so to really develop its foothold here. That's far from a slam, but a true understanding that the league has done some great things, but real growth takes time to mature.

24. Sachin

Sachin New Member

Jan 14, 2000
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Don't forget, Becks had to play with Alan Gordon and Landon Donovan while Gallardo was alongside Fred, Emilio and Moreno.

25. EL MONO MARIO

EL MONO MARIO Member

Apr 9, 2002
    Montevideo, Uruguay
    Club:
    CA River Plate
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gallardo has yet to suit up... But he is recovering quite nicely according to coach and staff, remember he was NOT on Gorositos wish list so if they say he is coming along HE IS COMING ALONG...

The reports are typical of Gallardo.... GREAT PASSING, Getting match fit, looks good.... He ALMOST made the subs bench this week but Pipo will not push. He wants him 100%.

At this point with Falcao, Fabiani, and Abelarias with a healthy Gallardo this team can come back guns blazing! They are 1st.. In Argentina River with gallardo and Fabbiani in the 11 starting are true front runners for the title.

Copa LIB am not holding my breath this is a rebuildng year....

On a side note Marcelo is truly happy to be back. They say he looks great and is all smiles.... It basically came down between River and DC and it was a NO CONTEST, He also confirmed that while the Estudiantes offer was tempting he would have returned to United.... But once River came it was to much to bear..... He could not say no.