Galiza

Discussion in 'Portugal: NSR' started by Dracul, Dec 31, 2005.

1. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i have a name and dont treat me as a puppet

2. Espiro

Espiro Member

Dec 9, 2001
    LOL you sound like a girl :D

Sheeeeshh...... I just didnt take a look at your "name", Mr. JEC1! Feeling better now?

3. Portugallia

Portugallia BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 9, 2005

Haaahhaaa...dream on Espanholito.

4. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Nah hes Spanish. Never met anyone from Galiza, all I had to go on was what I researched and what my family told me. Thats there Spanish is easiest to understand....

But they still from Spain, you guys get no love from me.

5. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    I agree with most of your post but I'd like to discuss one main point.

You say "historically Spain was a centralized state" but I beleive this is incorrect since Spain came into existence 300 years after Portugal not as a "historically centralized state" but as an enforced union of several once free kingdom/states such as Castille, Asturia, Leon, Galicia, Andalucia, Catalonia...etc.

So what is now modern Spain wasn't historically centralized but historically regionally independent and it's this historical regional independence that regions such as Galicia base their right to be free nations.

6. jec1

jec1 Member

Sporting Clube de Portugal
    Portugal
    Aug 27, 2004
    Los Angeles ATM
    Club:
    Sporting CP Lisbon
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    no,you sound like a girl pretending to be someone your not :eek:

you know what saying/arrrright :D

7. |--LdC--|

|--LdC--| New Member

Nov 16, 2003
    Lisboa/Portugal
    Well historically Spain was a centralized state because before Spain existed we only had Castilla an Leon, if i am not mistaken when Spain was formed they had already conquered all the other kingdoms, but yes i agree with you Catalunya, Galicia, the Basques etc have all the right to be independent or at least have a status like USA give to their states, almost total autonomy but i feel the Spanish are afraid of becoming a federation because this could be a step for fully independent nations...

8. Dracul

Dracul New Member

Sep 25, 2004
  9. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    Sorry but you're going to have to explain this better. What do you exactly mean by "because before Spain existed we only had Castilla an Leon"?

The way I see it is before Spain came into existence there were many independent nations.

10. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Mallacca Luso-descendents community, that's interesting and the first time I become aware of their existence as an organized group. They're not part of the "Lusofonia" proper though as I'm 100% sure none of them speak the language of Camoes ( who actually stopped by Mallacca on his way to Macau).

11. FCPorto_Dragao

Jun 15, 2005
    E DUBs
    Club:
    FC Porto
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Navarre, Aragon, Castile, Leon, Galiza, Basque and Catalonia from my knowledge...I am assuming he is trying to say that before Spain, Leon and Castile were running things

12. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    Navarre and Basque refers to the same region as far as I know.

13. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    If I'm not mistaken Navarre was a separate nation to that of the Vascos.

14. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I'm not sure about that, I just checked the map and it is a distinct province nowadays. I recall learning in my school days that Navarro was one of the Kingdoms along w/ Leon, Aragon, & Castille. But I also recall the Asturias which is Basque ancestral land, as the last bastion of Christians as the Moors conquered the rest of the peninsula. That has importance because the compressed peoples would be a mix of Basque (which is not a Celtic people),Celtic and other influx of people such as Vandals, Servs ,and further mix of Latin/Roman descendents as they escaped advancing Moorish armies.
    The recognized Basque Country of today share the region near the Navarre province, but are more coastal and adjoin the French border.

15. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    I'm sorry but the Asturias was not the Basque ancestral land. Asturias was once part of Lusitania just like Galicia and Cantabria.

16. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    I doubt that claim. Even the name Asturias is a basque language based name, something related to strong rock .

17. Portugallia

Dec 9, 2005
    It's more than a proven fact because it's well known the Asturians used be called Lusitanos just like us and I wouldn't read too much into the words of this so-called Basque language because most words are also common in Portuguese, Galician and Castillian since they all have Gallic roots.

18. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Basque is one of the 3 only european languages that dont have an Indo-european origin. Do you know what it is?

Basque, Suomi and the Latvians language. have indetermined origins, so we dont know were did they came from. Provavily the asturias share some words, but I dont know what is (if there is) the link between Asturians and Basque (besides geographics)...

Galicia and Portugal share almost all words, not because of Lusitânia, but due to later years: Suevs, Visigotics, and other germans that came to Iberic Peninsula. Galicians and portuguese languages share the same origin: the Galaico-português.
    The first texts from both sides of the current border were wrote on this lanmguage, that I assume was a kind of miscellanious from Latin and German words.

19. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    You are right, in what geography concerns!

20. Nelso

Nelso New Member

Jun 14, 2005
    Avanca, Portugal
    Or like the USA, but in a smaller scale? :D

Yes, I also read it, but I think you should not use a state with "nations"... it's more like a State with several "regions", some of them are Authonomous (Galicia, Basque, Catalonia, Canarias?, Baleares?) in almost all levels from Madrid, except political, I think.

21. vilafria

vilafria Member+

Jun 2, 2005
    For the first time I watched Galician TV and what a surprise, it didn't sound like Portuguese at all. All this talk about both languages being near identical, to me , is hogwash.:D

22. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal

They are trying to sound more castillian to avoid being like the "backward" Portugas. At least this is what they believe. Why are we even talking about them, they hate us. Spain hates us and frankly I could care less about them either.

23. Joelzinho

Joelzinho Member

May 23, 2005
    Montreal!
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Fodemos Espanha

24. UltraViseu

UltraViseu Member

Jan 22, 2006
    Strong Island
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Yes we did!!! We really took them off their high horse.

25. GoodDead

GoodDead Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Club:
    Sporting Braga
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    Again Galicians don't speak Portuguese and some, like many ignorant Espanyols have a hard time understanding the Language in towns less the half an hour from the border. They want to be their own nation but they'd probably rather remain in Spain then become part of Portugal.