Gale Agbossoumonde: On Track at Eintracht Frankfurt (loan) (R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Gorky, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krelmatrix

krelmatrix Member+

Oct 25, 2006
    Leipzig, Germany
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, so I'm not the only one who always had a cakewalk at the Ausländerbehörde. ;) Aside from the increased cost and 6-week wait now (and the electronic fingerprints) it's really not any worse now in terms of strictness - if you can speak relatively decent German, have the right passport and have your sh&t somewhat together. But it was still a relief when I sat down at the desk of the girl handling my paperwork and noticed 2 things on her desk: a photo of her drunk at Oktoberfest and a postcard with the words "I take life with a grain of salt...and a lime and shot of tequila." :D

Back to Gale....if indeed the new visa system is at fault, I'm sure there's some way he/Frankfurt can pay to have it expedited or get some kind of letter saying it's approved before they print the thing. Otherwise, it'll be mid-October before it's sorted.

Of course, considering the bizarre upwards trend of his career path, he'll have already confirmed his next loan deal at Real Madrid by then. ;)

2. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    The thing is - for top level athletes (like for musicians etc.) getting a work permit is just a formality. In terms of soccer, the authorities define this as 1. and 2. Bundesliga only. For the 3rd level and below, however, non-eu players need a special permission, unless they are long time residents of Germany. They do not give those out like candy - there have been cases of players getting in trouble over this. However, players from the US, Canada, Switzerland, Norway etc. usually get those, because of trade agreements between their countries and Germany. Players from Eastern Europe or Africa on the other hand have it harder, many of those who play in the lower divisions are either long time residents or dual citizens.

3. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Quite ironic. War against terrorism.

4. ami-berliner

ami-berliner Member

Mar 21, 2004
    Berlin
    Club:
    Hertha BSC Berlin
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Do you have a link for this? My folks come to visit every year and this is the first I have heard of this.

Different classification. You are most likely classified as a wissenschaftliche Mitarbeiter(in), whereby, I believe, you automatically get residency and work permits. Money doesn't really play a role if you come from a "first" world county, except for when you apply on the basis of starting your own company (investment more than 500K Euro and/or 5+ employees) or are hired as an management executive with a salary exceeding a certain amount per year.

Lucky you. It's a bit more difficult here in Berlin, but that is to be expected when you see that the person handling your paperwork also has 2 things in their office 1.) A motivational poster on the wall saying "Schadenfreude ist die schönste Freude." and 2.) A desktop on the computer they can barely use saying "Ich wähle NPD: Ausländer Raus!" :D

5. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    I will confirm it but I know that they restrict foreign first team players from playing in the Regionalliga. First team players from Brazil and Africa can't play in it. They are kind of strict about it and Gale is on a year loan to the first team.

6. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Non-EU foreigners from the first team can play for the reserves in the Regionalliga. What is not possible is to get arround the work permit issue - the work permit for a first team player doesn't cover Regionalliga games, but it's perfectly possible to get the required permission additionally. An American example currently is Bobby Wood, who has a first team contract but also plays for 1860 II in the Regionalliga.

Neither Frankfurt nor the Bundesliga list Agbossoumonde as part of Frankfurt's official first team squad list, though - and there are direct quotes from Frankfurt that they plan to use him exclusively in the reserves in the beginning. Anyway - players do not sign contracts for teams, but for the club. Nothing in his contract could prevent him from playing for either team, the permission to play on the other hand is a matter for the authorities and the German FA.

7. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    They make it very difficult. They refused to let Roberto Fermino play in the Regionalliga because he had a first team contract. He had to sit out for almost 6 months and just practice with the first team. Bobby's case is different. He has been in Germany from U14.

8. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    Well, if you want other examples, than Mitchell Langerak at Dortmund and Takashi Usami at Bayern. They are also citizens of "privileged" countries - as I said, first team players would have to go through the normal process of getting a work permit as well. And for South Americans or Africans that's much harder - doesn't matter if theý want to play for a reserve side or a first team in the Regionalliga. The work permit is the only issue here - the German FA has no rule against this.

Firmino didn't sit out 6 months, though - he signed in January and started to play for the first team in February.

9. Alex_K

Alex_K Member+

Mar 23, 2002
    Braunschweig, Germany
    Club:
    Eintracht Braunschweig
    Nat'l Team:
    Bhutan
    He played his first match for Frankfurt II today. He came in in the 85th minute in a 2:1 win against Großaspach.

10. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Progress

11. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Wonder if he's getting any minutes with Clark down there...

12. prowazekii

prowazekii Member

Jun 21, 2008
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If you click on the 2nd photo gallery in this article, there is a picture of Agbossoumonde (right after one of Ricardo Clark) with a caption saying that he has done nothing with the amateur squad and will probably be off-loaded during the winter window.

13. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's like the Freddy Adu of defenders.

14. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    He will come to the MLS. There are several teams interested in him and I hope this is the beginning of something good for him. I think he has been a little unlucky beacause he is really good.

15. OWN(yewu)ED

OWN(yewu)ED Member+

Club: Venezia F.C.
    May 26, 2006
    chico, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    New England next in line, they'll certainly snap him up

16. Real Corona

Real Corona Member+

Jan 19, 2008
    Colorado
    Club:
    FC Metalist Kharkiv
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Probably should have done that after Portugal and if not then, then after Sweden. Oh well, it's never too late.

17. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    He's too good for MLS. And they don't pay enough. At least that's what he used to think.

18. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    Yes, but he can settle. Gale is really talented and he needs to play.

19. LiverAndPineapple

May 7, 2008
    Raw talent and athletic ability only takes you so far. And that's not what I'm concerned he lacks.

20. youth=glory

youth=glory Member

Sep 2, 2010
    Good to hear, and its not like MLS is loaded with quality CB's anyways...basically every team at the bottom of the league could use him. Getting mentored by DeMerit (though not sure if winning a few weeks ago was for last year or the coming year), or pairing up with young Americans Opera (U20 reunion) or Soares. Toronto...Winter likes a CB that can pass, I've heard and seen Boss have decent distribution. Hell even DC...

21. Lascho

Lascho Member+

Sep 1, 2008
    Hannover, Germany
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Well - I know you got some credibility, and maybe more important, some audience here for "inside information" on players like him, Gyau and whoever.
    However, you always told "everything's fine, he's on track, the coach had some great words for him, he'll soon play a major role on the first team"; no matter how poor the news in the German media have been.

Has there ever been a player who actually did anything noteworthy after you told the American public that he's just about to make his breakthrough, his coach loves him, and we'll soon see how great he is?
    Maybe you travel around, and see practices and friendlies; but I could never fit your praises and actual first team minutes together. If you're trying to get some interest for young players who can't get any minutes anywhere in Europe - Good luck. I hope they don't sign players based on praise by some dubious internet guys.

22. ielag

ielag Member+

Jul 20, 2010
    If he signed with MLS, wonder if he'd go in a lottery like other USYNT players or if he'd be an allocation since he does have that one cap?

23. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    That one cap makes him one of the big boys!

{For those who remember the discussion of 'big boy syndrome.' ;)

24. trophy case

trophy case Member

Feb 8, 2008
    new york
    I praise all the young players trying to break through, and I have seen the players and I know a lot of people in the soccer world. If this is coming off in the wrong way, then I am sorry about that. Nothing I say here can get a player signed in Europe and I am giving you facts. It is very tough for young foreign players to break through on the first team, you need a bit of luck.
    You don't know Gale's situation. Things are difficult because Gale is not a free agent and if he was free, someone would have signed him by now.