Galaxy's name must be changed before it becomes a world super-power

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by rudyirons, Jan 3, 2006.

1. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Well the look of the uniforms are starting to look much better with addidas helping out. But like I have said before! The name applies perfectly with the city.

L.A. is a Galaxy full of stars and illegal aliens. Thats why we have that name :D

2. TicoKenitrin

TicoKenitrin New Member

Jan 6, 2005
    Downey (L.A.)
    I say keep the GALAXY name maybe freshen it up a bit like the Los Angeles Galaxy Football Club (LA Galaxy FC). As for the logo I do think it needs to be change I really hate it, it makes no sence at all and has no point to it. As for the worst name in the MLS I think its the REAL Salt Lake. I'll be stereotypical here but I can see that in a city with a big latino community or a city with a Spanish name like Real San Diego, Real San Antonio, Real Las Vergas, Real San Francisco or whatever you get the point. Anyways why didnt they name themselves the The Royal Salt Lakes, I'm sorry it just sounds stupid having a spanish name to a city that is dominated by a religious culture that is pretty backwards.

3. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The name Real Salt Lake sucks 'cause they wanted a name that would match the teams performances. So I hear anyway...............................................

4. Esco

Esco New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Course: MLS Team Names 101
    Professor: Esco
    Credits: None
    Class Time: Now

Real Madrid & Real Salt Lake Overview:

The word 'real' in the context of 'Real Madrid is not the opposite of 'unreal' but is in fact derived from the same source as the word 'royal'. Spain is currently a constitutional monarchy - a form of national government in which the power of the monarch is headed by the king or queen.

In 1920 Madrids soccer club (Madrid Club de Futbol) became "Real" Madrid Club de Futbol after receiving the royal patronage of Alfonso XIII (The King at the time). Royal patronage meaning the support or encouragement of a King, for an institution or cause, in this case Madrid's soccer team.

Fast forward 85 years, the following is from www.utah.gov:

"In 1776 as a party of Spanish explorers traveled much of the length of present-day Utah. Led by Franciscan friars Dominguez and Escalante, these intrepid men were scouting a northern route from Santa Fe to Monterey and seeking to promote Christianity among the Indians." This may explain why the RSL's owners decided to brand their team with a "royal" name, since their original founders were Spaniards, later to replaced by the current day Mormons.

The Los Angeles Galaxy Overview

Los Angeles comprises 88 diverse cities, and many more smaller culturally rich communities. You can say Los Angeles is a "Galaxy" of different cultures. Dictionary.com defines a Galaxy as:

Gal·ax·y ( P ) Pronunciation Key (glk-s)
    An assembly of brilliant (HDC), glamorous (Championships), or distinguished persons (Donovan, Jones, Hartman) or things (Cozmo).

So in conclusion, Real Salt Lake should consider the name of Mormons FC to establish their true identity and to prevent their demise, such as thier Spanish Counterparts Real Madrid CF and The Los Angeles Galaxy is an assembly of brilliant, glamorous and distinguished fans and players.

Class Dismissed.

5. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Interesting yet educational at the same time.

6. Esco

Esco New Member

Aug 1, 2005
    Long Beach
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Stay tuned for the second installment of a five part series entitled:

MLS Names: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

The Los Angeles Galaxy (continued), Houston Cows, Chivas USA.

7. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Is this the featured teams for Episode 2?

Chivas dont deserved to be put in the same episdoe as us.

8. LA Red

LA Red New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Brilliant words of wisdom Sensei. How can a young grasshoppa like me register for the next session?

9. metrofan89

metrofan89 Member

Jun 13, 2005
    If you really hate your name, feel free to trade with us anytime :)

10. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Your team name might be a little on the gay side but the shield i can take.

The West Hollywood Stars
    The San Francisco Stars
    :D

11. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Now, Esco why did you do that?

I was already sold on not changing our team's name by your previous post but this one ruined everything.

Your posts are brillant when you don't put any thought to it, so ruin them by getting technical.

Galaxy of stars = how dumb is that? :D

12. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Dude just go away.

13. Elninho

Elninho Member+

Sacramento Republic FC
    United States
    Oct 30, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do we have to have a stupid name like Los Angeles Galaxy? Why can't we have a real soccer name, like Sheffield Wednesday, or BSC Young Boys, or Go Ahead Eagles, or Eleven Men In Flight? :rolleyes:

14. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even worse, Deportivo Wanka in Colombia. :p

15. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Which translates to an even better sports Wanka?

16. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Presumably.............sounds like the perfect club for Pando.

17. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    To Metrofan89, yes, the MetroStars is an awful name, and the original logo was terrible. Again, geared to selling shirts to kiddies.... New crest looks much better, but change the name.

The Galaxy logo and name aren't spectacular, but functional and mildly fitting.... "Galaxy of stars" - now if it's true that some MLS flunky came up with that to reflect the number of movie stars in the area, well, that's just dumb, but as stated on this board, "Galaxy" reflects the multicultural aspect of this city, which ain't dumb, and they fit the "LA" right in the middle - how clever.

18. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Good Point! Thats what I have been saying all along!:)

19. Big BBW

Big BBW New Member

Sep 21, 2002
    Arlington, VA
    another thing to consider is that the word "Galaxy" can be said in spanish exactly the same way as in english.... i think Latinos in general don't have a problem with the name "galaxy". I'm here in d.c. and have never heard a complaint about the name...and we all know there are a ton of Galaxy fans here. Also when i go to Guatemala everybody is all about "el Galaxy".

Now try saying "el dallas burn" or "los Earthquakes" in spanish. it just doesnt flow as well.

i personally think "L.A. Galaxy" is a great name. With its brand and recognition growing every year, it'd be plain dumb to change it now.

20. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, just to be clear, it's not the name of "a" gorilla, Silverback is the name given to a dominant, big, badd-aasss male leader of a troup of gorillas, and they happen to have silver backs. Now class is really dismissed.

I like Silverbacks (good colors-black & silver) & Galaxy (unique) as names.

21. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Rudyirons name must be changed before he is taken seriously as a bigsoccer poster. Please discuss....

22. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree I never take Rudyirons seriously, what a messed up name. He totally needs to change his crest and come up with a respectable name like Bill or Jeremy.

23. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Jeremy? Respected? Really?????

Why is this conversation even still lasting, the name's fine. Leave it.

24. Burden

Burden Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Long Beach, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah but its funny because its pointless and we have nothing of substance to talk about.
    Whats wrong with Jemermy? Name of one of my old fullbacks, thats why I respect it. Better than Lance or Bruce or my honest to god almost name Bartholamew, I woulda been a Bart.:eek:

25. L.A. SOCCER NATION

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Hey man thanks allot!:D Galaxy is a name when mentioned in the Spanish or Korean media in L.A. they all say " El Galaxy" or "Galaxy". We dont need the name to be changed, its fine how it is.