Galaxy's name must be changed before it becomes a world super-power

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by rudyirons, Jan 3, 2006.

1. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No need, just copy and paste his post to Carlos' guestbook.

https://www.bigsoccer.com/forum/usernote.php?u=32336

It should fit in with the rest. ;)

2. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

dude, the reason why chivas didn't do as well on the stands is because they absolutely sucked on the field, which is perfectly normal given the circumstances. Had chivas been a competitive team, easily they should have been averaging 17k or more per game. It will be interesting to see how many fans show up the next season thoug.

3. rudyirons

rudyirons New Member

Jul 31, 2005
    Long Beach, CA

MLS can not afford a single table system. When the quality of the product improves and teams begin to draw more fans, then you can have your single table format. But until then single table system is a recipe for disaster.

4. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He was actually being sarcastic.

5. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    New York Cosmos, Los Angeles Galaxy. That's how I look at it.

If the name still bothers you, wander over to the J-League and look at what they field. Won't seem so bad then.

6. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Simpe solution, leave the name as it is. We're successful, no need to re-brand like Dallass, plus we didn't have a gay logo with a crappy(er) name and an even worse jersey with a stadium that seemed to drain the atmosphere from games.

7. Galaxian

Galaxian Member

Oct 30, 2005
    Newport Beach, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Now thats a BURN ( pardon the pun )

8. Qamle

Qamle Member

May 2, 2004
    San Diego
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Agree with the logo comment
    indifferent about your name comment
    disagree with your jersey comment
    agree with your comment on the stadium

9. n4100

n4100 Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Except that that nickname is less than a decade old whereas their traditional nickname is the "merengues".

10. elknco1

elknco1 Member

Aug 20, 2004
  11. lou czar

lou czar Member

Sep 26, 2003
    CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I have a simple solution. Do nothing, wait 90 years, and I'll give you a name with 100 years of history.

12. LA Red

LA Red New Member

Oct 14, 2005
    Anaheim, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it ain't broke, why fix it? A name change isn't going to benefit the team. If anything it will bring even more confusion. People are going to start wondering "what happened to the champions of the double"? We've already built a great foundation for this club and now is not the time to clean the slate with a new team name and start all over with the brand recognition routines. The LA Galaxy have made many accomplishments and we shouldn't wipe it away so easily. If you aren't proud to be a Galaxy fan because of the name, then you are not a true fan in my eyes. If you really want a new team name, then pull a San Jose and move the team to a different location. Jerseys change, and the team players change, but I will always be proud to be a LA Galaxy supporter. Even if the Galaxy colors were to change to sh** brown and piss yellow, I would wear those colors with pride because I support the Galaxy. I think the Galaxy team is so great that the Home Depot Center should seriously consider changing it's name to Galaxy Stadium (credit given to Esco for that stadium name idea). So when other teams and people come to the matches, they know exactly who's house they're in.

13. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'd still wear the jersey if it was pink:

1. I'm a Galaxy fan no matter what
    2. I'm a jersey whore
    3. Pink will attract lots of attention, hence, I'm a whore

And I'll say it again, dont change the name, but if is to be changed to anytihng, then "AEG Los Angeles" is the ony option.

14. whitekix

whitekix New Member

Sep 6, 2005
    I agree with you that they sucked.
    When (if?) they become competitive, they probably will draw 17k per game.
    I was just trying to make the point that the Galaxy's name is not the reason they don't have a 40k seat stadium, by using Chivas (A futbol name with tradition) as a reference. If Chivas sold out every home game, then the argument that this thread is based on may have some validity.
    Since Chivas did not draw that many people, the argument for this thread is flawed.

15. Dan Loney

Dan Loney BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 10, 2000
    Cincilluminati
    Club:
    Los Angeles Sol
    Nat'l Team:
    Philippines
    You rang?

[​IMG]

16. paranoid

paranoid New Member

Nov 6, 2005
    damnit why does every MLS team need to have a name/jersey ripped off a european team.

I look forward to the day we stop TRYING to be like everyone else (except in going by international rules)

17. thezippy

thezippy New Member

Dec 23, 2003
    Atlanta, GA
    I just moved from LA to Atlanta, where there's a USL First Division pro club.

Their name?

The Silverbacks.

As in... a gorilla.

They're literally named after a gorilla at the Atlanta zoo.

So... I don't wanna hear a bunch of trash talk around the name "Galaxy," man....

;)

Zippy

18. L.A. SOCCER NATION

L.A. SOCCER NATION ONLY IN L.A.

Jun 17, 2005
    LOS ANGELES
    Are you serious! After the name of a damn Gorilla??? :confused: ???

19. haaamean

haaamean Member

Aug 8, 2004
    Santa Ana, Costa Rica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Are we really talking about this again???? It's De Ja Vu all over again :D

This has to be the weakest arguement yet "Change the name because it's a girl's team name"

**very bad but effective analogy follows**

It's like the time I named our dog Talula.....people laughed(my primary reason for the name), it was hard to say and it just didn't seem right for a dog. Over the years however, she became that name. It fit better and better all the time, and now I can't imagine calling her differently.

So leave our name alone. It may have been questionable at the very most at first, but now we've earned it and it fits us. People all over the world may not know the rest of the MLS teams and their names, but by now they know the Galaxy play in and are the kings of LA.

20. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't like Galaxy name much but I'm used to it now. I prefer using the name "Los Angeles" if people ask me what soccer team I like.

21. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sam here. I just say Los Angeles to avoid confusion, and to avoid candy bar jokes.

I never really thought the name was that bad when I first heard it. C'mon, we should be proud of our name and laugh at those who support Real Salt Lake for having the worst name ever. And besides, it's only a name, it aint that big a deal, the name doesn't affect performances, and if it is what stops people from supporting this team, well, that's just sad.

22. krayzie

krayzie BigSoccer Yellow Card

Dec 13, 2003
    Paris, France
    Another stupid Eurosnob thread... :rolleyes:

Eurosnob = Evil

23. Sean...

Sean... Member

Jul 23, 2005
    Ireland
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's the smartest thing I've ever seen from you. :rolleyes:

24. Palermo10

Palermo10 Member

Apr 7, 2005
    San Diego
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

And has more to do with the players on the field...

not so much in the case of the Galaxy... unless we pick up Freddy- essentially the biggest names, not the best players :D

25. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    The Galaxy name and logo have always been fine. The logo and name manage to incorporate where we're from, the logo is kind of a crest, not really a crest, and it works (enough). It's not straight up childish and corny, like a lot of the MLS logos - the Crew, the Burn, the Wiz, etc.

And FC Dallas, the revamped Metros logos - those are solid changes. Yup, it is better if they look more traditional, sorry, but true. Some of those logos from the early years were geared to sell t-shirts to children.