Galaxy vs. Smurfs Game 2 - Sat., Oct. 25 @ 7pm Pre/Post Game Discussion [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Topper, Oct 22, 2003.

1. Topper

Topper BigSoccer Supporter

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, here's another "meaningless" match. Many of the E-Quakes fans referred to the 3-0 drubbing as meaningless, so we can assume the Supporter's Shield meant nothing to them.

Can we take the same intensity to tiny Lego Stadium, and bring home our first away game? Or will we have to settle for being the only MLS team in history to go an entire season without a road win and win MLS Cup?

The G's did fine without Cobi last game - - should Sigi "rest" Cobi for another game?

Of course, the most nagging question for me is: How the hell am I gonna watch this thing on "HDNet"? Does DISH network get HDNet?

Topper

:D :D

Los Angeles at San Jose
    Saturday, October 25, 7:00pm PST
    HDNet

2. ProudNatRN

ProudNatRN Member

Los Angeles Galaxy
    Jun 10, 2002
    Norwalk, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey Topper, according to my handy dandy Galaxy schedule, the game is scheduled to be broadcast on KCAL-9 at 8 pm, delayed an hour. So if you can't make the trip and you're willing to watch a semi-delayed match, there you go...

3. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    'Effin amazing. The Supporter's Shield is the goods. Sure, MLS Cup is of primary concern, but winning the Supporter's Shield is actually the more difficult task, in my opinion. Shows that your team was solid through and through. More hype should go into winning the Supporter's Shield. Just like in England, where a team "wins the Premiership." Here we could win MLS and the Cup.

I think this upcoming game is more critical for the Quakes. We've had a crap season and know we suck on the road...so there shouldn't be much left to doubt on our end. A defeat to the Galaxy this Saturday may just derail that once fine tuned machine up north.

Still...I think we'll set a record this Saturday...sad to say.

4. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We could set the record this Saturday or we may not and actually start clicking. I have this feeling that Sat.'s match is a toss-up. It's going to be a tight match and it might end up 1-0 to either side. It should be fun.

5. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After the way they choked last year as well, they probably believe it by now. They've been telling themselves that for a year now.
    For those who purchased the MLS Shootout package, it's on live.

Wish I could make the trip up there this weekend.

6. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Awesome!

Thanks!

Topper

7. Blitzz Boy

Blitzz Boy Member

Apr 4, 2002
    The West Side
    Even the 99 Metros won an away game?

8. PZ

PZ Member

Apr 11, 1999
    Michiana
    Club:
    Ipswich Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    2, I think.

'01 DC only had one....I think. We can tie them if......ok maybe not. ;)

9. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Even Dallas won an away game this year.

But who gives a crap? The bragging rights will be just tooo sweet if we win the Cup w/o a single road win. "Who cares about silly old road wins - - we're the effing champs, baby!" :rolleyes:

I can guarantee you that no one would ever be able to say that again in our lifetimes.

Topper

:D

10. Scoschee

Scoschee New Member

Sep 16, 2002
    SoCal
    Well its too bad Victoria St wasn't the fortress we thought it would be. If we won 12 games at home, who gives a sh!t if we didn't win on the road. But we only won 8 and that is piss poor.
    I love E-quake fans rationalizing their thumping last weekend and the excuses are already coming in about this guy having a broken acrylic nail and that guy having a hair appointment... then they will bitch about Yallop not getting his team up for LA. What a bunch of twits.

11. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i'm not going to get my hopes up, but a 1-0 loss followed by the exact same home-away results in the next fortnight would suit me just fine.

12. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    It's 9.

Only Chicago has a better home record. I think we've done fairly well at home all things considered.

13. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wouldn't it be sweet if we took the Western conference again, and the New Anglo Revulsion beat out the Chicagoons? I'd much rather face the Revulsion than the 'goons.

Topper

14. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    i just checked the listings, and on tvguide.com it say 7pm.

15. Bonaventure

Bonaventure New Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Gilbert, AZ
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    tvguide.com/listings says

Saturday, 25 7:00 PM
    MLS Soccer: Los Angeles at San Jose
    506 SPPV5
    Saturday, 25 8:00 PM
    MLS Soccer: Los Angeles at San Jose
    9 KCAL

16. Wolves_67

Wolves_67 Member

Oct 27, 2002
    Pasadena, CA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the build up for LA's goal was one of the best this year. It had goal written on it from the start! :)

17. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    The team has now shown a definite offensive mentality these last two games...I don't know whether to be thrilled or cautious. But for poor finishing, we score more than one goal and take that game.The Galaxy haven't lost a game this season with 2 + goals scored, and most of those results were victories. Three things come to mind about this last game:

1) We get the dishonor of being the only team in league history to not win a regular season away game. Who, in their wildest imagination, could have predicted we'd see this come to pass? There is just no excuse for that...

2) It's very, very hard to face a team 4 games straight and deliver 4 victories. The Gs now know they can conceivably beat the Quakes at Spartan, but with the draw are by no means lulled into thinking they've got the Quakes down and out. Other than the notoriety of the terrible road record, this could be a good result.

3) Ruiz needs to step up his game. The midfield for the Gs looked good during the first half, but Ruiz looked out of sync. Moreno has shown vast improvement from his early form, but we really could use the Ruiz 2002 assassin from last year as we make this post season push.

18. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well, it was another night of "If only we finished our chances...."

I thought the G's played great, especially for the first 2/3rds of the game, then we seemed to burn out, with the goal against us coming in the 80th minute.

Simon blew another great opportunity, and Torres, while showing us again his ability to work the flanks, often showed his anxiousness at the final moment.

Impressive was the fact that we did so well attack-wise without Cien for much of the game.

YES, EVEN ELLIOT HAD A GOOD GAME OVERALL.

The score could have easily been 3-1 or 3-0, but overall, the G's are showing excellent form heading into the playoffs, while San Jose - snapping its 402-minute scoreless streak, may have peaked too early (again).

GOOD JOB GUYS, KEEP IT UP THROUGH NOV. 23!!!

Topper

19. dashiel

dashiel Member+

Jul 15, 2000
    orange county
    that certainly looked more like the galaxy that i know and love. i think had cobi and ruiz stayed in the game we win.

then again, had the baby jesus played, who knows.

i'm not too worried about the result. sure a road win would have been nice, but really would a road win tonight have changed our crap away performance?

the one thing we really need to work on, is 90 minutes, all throughout this season we've been a 45 minute team, or a 10 minute team or an 60 minute team. tonight we were an 85 minute team and unfortunately those 5 minutes cost us.

i'm not going to get my hopes up, but if we can perform like we did tonight over the next two weeks we have a good chance at moving forward.

--

torres looks like he's going to be a great cobi replacement when cobi retires.

--

albright, did you see that sweet turn that led to a beautiful cross that moreno almost got to?

--

moreno, what happened to him

--

simon, great game today, but seriously do you practice those kicks?

--

i really enjoyed the elliott/ruiz/lalas banter at the end of the half, it was nice to see the team excited and offering constructive criticism instead of yelling at each other.

20. Hoje

Hoje New Member

Jun 9, 2003
    LA
    "the one thing we really need to work on, is 90 minutes, all throughout this season we've been a 45 minute team, or a 10 minute team or an 60 minute team. tonight we were an 85 minute team and unfortunately those 5 minutes cost us."

So true. Otherwise, the G's look tons better.

21. rokstedy

rokstedy Member+

I love commieball
    Apr 20, 2001
    Northwest Orange County
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This could've been a game we won had Walker's shot not deflected into the net. A good performance by the guys for the most part.

22. cl_hanley

cl_hanley New Member

Sep 3, 2001
    Costa Mesa
    Walker got that late score the first time we played the Quakes to a draw at the HDC. Same situation...Walker with the ball in front of the net 1 v. 1 with Hartman. We need to stop gifting this rookie these opportunities.

23. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    My wife surprised me with birthday tickets, so we went to Spartan Saturday — and as folks here have said, the Gs did look pretty good.

Hartman almost pulled off a wonder save on the SJ goal. (That Walker kid’s got some serious wheels.) I’ve not seen much of Torres but I fear he’s the second coming of Cobi — lots of industry and effort with only moderate results.

It was also interesting how heated and uptempo the overtime was. SJ came out blazing in the first five and LA ended it with big pressure. The second was just as good.

And it was a big crowd for a “meaningless” game. Great showing by the Galaxians and the Riot Squad as well. “We can’t hear you” was loud and clear. I also found the Wave killing maneuver particularly hilarious.

24. Topper

Oct 19, 1999
    SoCal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Can you describe this?

25. cj herrera

cj herrera New Member

May 7, 1999
    Oakland, damn straig
    The hordes of squeaking girls which fills Spartan would continually start the Wave. But when it reached the LA supporters -- which was basically a whole corner section -- all you could see were a bunch of people ducking down quietly.

Not very funny in print.
    Really funny from where I was sitting.