Galaxy vs. New England July 4 Post-game [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Bill Schmidt, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Ismitje

Ismitje Super Moderator

Dec 30, 2000
    The Palouse
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    One of the stragest sights I've ever seen to end a game was the inexplicable 6-on-1 "break" after the ending foul. Six Rev players following the free kick headed on by Twellman from Franchino; not a single Galaxy player followed his mark. Only the last defender, who began the play deep on Joseph, was left to face the onslaught. Not sure what anyone expected Hartman to do in that situation.

The foul that led to the kick was silly. A tired player (Ugo?) blocked the Rev run (Chatham?) to get the ball for a cross. The cross would've ended the game, and been a much less dangerous opportunity than the kick was.

For what it's worth, here is the MLS play-by-play from minute 90 on:

94:04 -End Half 2 @ 9:02 P.M. 04:04 of Stoppage Time
    94:04 LA -95th Minute. Yellow Card Issued to 29-Ednaldo da Conceicao. Foul Type: Dissent
    93:20 NE -94th Minute. Goal Scored by 25-Andy Dorman, 2nd of season. Assisted by 21-Shalrie Joseph, 3rd of season and 20-Taylor Twellman, 4th of season. In Goal was 22-Kevin Hartman.
    93:20 NE -94th Minute. Direct Free Kick by 8-Joe Franchino. Kick resulted in a Goal.
    92:58 LA -93rd Minute. Foul Committed by 15-Ugo Ihemelu, 2nd of match. Foul Suffered by 30-Ryan Latham, 1st of match.
    92:16 NE -93rd Minute. Shot by 6-Jay Heaps, 2nd of match. Result: Wide Left
    92:06 -93rd Minute.SCORING FIRST: LA is 7-1-1 when scoring first... NE is 1-1-1 when allowing the first goal of the match
    90:30 NE -91st Minute. Offside by 17-Connally Edozien.
    90:16 LA -91st Minute. Shot on Goal by 19-Michael Enfield, 2nd of match. Save by: 1-Matt Reis, 4th of match.

2. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I've noticed that none of the comments have made mention of Cobi's utter lack of presence in the game. His passing was atrocious. He should have been the team leader out there and gotten things going. It seems like he only hits about second gear unless Donovan is playing. It's very frustrating because we all know how good he can be.

Also, I haven't seen any mention of Gomez. His pass to Enfield was PERFECT. In fact, the substitutions of Gomez and Enfield for Jones and Gordon proved to be Sampson's two inspired decisions.

Gato had a great game, and the Rev's goal in the 94th minute should be attributed to Marshal not stepping up with the rest of the Galaxy defense. Had he done so, the Revs would have been offsides. Watch the replay, he was totally out of position and not communicating with the rest of his team. That still doesn't excuse the ref for letting play continue for nearly 30 seconds after stoppage time was supposed to end. But regardless, everyone knows that refs are fallable and you need to continue playing 100% until the final whistle.

Naldo lost his ********** and probably his job, he deserved the card and I probably would have given him a red card. That behavior is TOTALLY unacceptable. It's immature and embarrassing.

I agree with the person who said that Ugo needs to play center. He is much more effective that way.

All in all, the game was good but not great. I think a few tactical error by the coaching staff and several mis-cues by the Galaxy defense made the difference.

As far as the fans at HDC go, I think they mostly suck. I've been shushed, and told to sit down, and given dirty looks every damn game because I like to cheer my team on. If you want to sit quietly, watch the game and listen to the PA, I think you should just stay home and watch the game on cable.

I miss Albright.

3. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Funny how when Cienfuegos did what Naldo did, everyone thought it was cool.... OR was that on the Galaxy "official" board?

Anyway there is more to a keeper then great saves and Hartman had a HORRIBLE game distributing the ball :-(

4. tomjedrz

tomjedrz New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Sounds about right.

Last night I slogged through Chivas/Fire game, and the referee ended the game at 1:58 of stoppage time when 2 minutes had been designated.

I still think the ref screwed up and knows it. That said, the various human elements are part of the game, and the Galaxy had several opportunities to hold the stoppage time away.

Regards.

5. tomjedrz

tomjedrz New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    Concur. I remember three or four possessions a row early on when he gave the ball away, either directly or by sending it over the touch line.

6. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've got to admit, I don't remember the incident and did not participate on the "official board" so I can't comment on that.

However, speaking generally, Cienfuegos' years of consumate professionalism and contributions to LAG and the LA community would buy him a "pass" from me where I might otherwise condemn conduct. Maybe that's hypocritical, but in my view, Cien earned a little slack. Naldo, on the other hand, has never earned his salary.

7. tomjedrz

tomjedrz New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    My conclusion was primarily from watching the referee first hand .. I had a pretty good seat and a great view of the two of them as it was happening. The referee was already shaken up, clearly second guessing himself as he was coming back up the field. The quick trigger was out of whack with how the rest of the match was called, and looked emotional in nature. I think he lost his head for a moment.

It reminded me of the baseball umpire who knows he blew that strike 3 call, then tosses the batter who argues way too quickly.

As for diffusing the situation, that was not what happened. He could have taken a step back, or turned and walked away. He did neither, instead escalating the situation by pulling out his card.

Naldo's behavior was not excusable, but the referee handled the situation poorly. Given that he is pretty good, I think it was because he knew he had made a mistake and was in his own head.

8. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    I totally agree that there's more to a GK's game than saves, but I still wouldn't call Hartman's game "HORRIBLE". He quite often has trouble distributing the ball properly and it's something I've been annoyed with him about for a long time. You've got to admit though, his great saves kept the game from being a total route of the Galaxy defense.

9. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Cien earned a little slack.
    Naldo should get the sack.

10. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Why? What the hell has he done to deserve it?

11. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    sarcasm or what?

12. Revs-West

Revs-West Member

Mar 24, 2004
    You guys can complain all you want about the crowd, but, I thought it was great to be there. Granted, I'm used to the tombs at foxboro so my idea of loud may be skewed. In sec.107, I was close enough to hear the Galxians yell at Franchino to "stand up" as he was walking around. Good, clean, spiteful fun can't be all wrong. Rafter stomping is a good back beat too. I only had 1 beer thrown at me when we (all 2 of us) cheered the tying goal. Not bad considering.

I wonder how I'll be treated at the goats match? At least the LAGs are funny.

13. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

What a waste of a good beer.

Uhhhhhhh. It might not be beer.

14. Galaxysgirl

Galaxysgirl New Member

Apr 15, 2005
    Norwalk, CA
    Contrary to what's mostly been said, I didn't think the game was that bad. We had our screw ups, but I thought that the back line was really making an effort at communication. Yeah, they blew it at the end but with everyone scrambling around in the box, isn't it just a little difficult to tell where everyone is? Believe me, I'm still hurting after getting the tie. It should have been our win. And while I'm at it, and I can't believe I'm doing it, I'm actually siding with Naldo on going off on the ref. I wanted to do that same thing. It was poorly officiated and he was letting off steam. I really didn't notice his dives, I don't pay that much attention to him to do that, but I wish he'd of decked that ref. Wouldn't we be rid of him once and for all if he had.

Enfield and Hercules were great out there. They should come in earlier or even start. Why of why doesn't Gardner get any playing time? Let him replace Naldo or Pando while he's on Nat team duties. The few minutes I've seen him play he's done well I think. Also, I don't think Hartman was horrible at all. He saved us from our first loss at home. We do need better communication back there but overall I'm really liking that back line... Dunivant is outstanding, and I like Chinchilla. Ugo makes me cringe sometimes, but he pretty much gets the job done. Marshall is still good, but is having a not so great spell. He'll come back better than ever, just you watch.

Lastly, I'm not so sure I'm on the "fire Sampson" bandwagon. I've been to a couple practices and yes, he "micromanages" the team, but someone has to show them what to do. Yes, the team needs motivation, but running up and down the sideline screaming at them all game is not really the answer is it? I read an interview with Todd and he says Sampson doesn't let them get away with anything, so I think after games he's calling the guys out on whats happened out there. Isn't it ultimatly up to the players to do what they know needs to be done. Some of these players have been at it for years and they should know all to well when to "step up" I don't think they need SS to yell that at them. I don't think getting another coach right now would help, but hinder what positive things we do have. We have a lot of injuries and call up's right now so let's see what happens they they're all back. If we still suck by the end of the season, then it should be considered if SS should be back for next season.

15. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Great post, Galaxysgirl. I agree with most of what you've said. Although I still don't agree with the behaviour of Naldo. I actually like him and wish he'd figure out how to pull it together out there. I think he has potential, but maybe has had too much pressure put on him. I don't know. Regardless, he was way out of line. The fact is, if the Galaxy had finished a few more runs and scored another goal or two, the ref would have had very little impact on the game. If you don't want to be at the mercy of the clock or the ref or anything else out of your control, you need to perform and create a strong lead.

16. blackhawk

blackhawk New Member

Sep 19, 2004
    Riverside, CA
    Some moronic AYSO family sat in front of our season ticket seats (142) and it was almost funny if their reaction to the "You suck" chants during the introductions. I believe my son and I are the only ones in our section to join LARS in this and the mortified look on the yuppi mom and grandmother was freaky. I mean it was like they were getting physically assaulted or something.

"You suck" is apparently right up there for cursing. Let's treat everyone nicely. I bet that family would love to have a blanket and food drive for the detainees at Gitmo and would show kindness to a child rapist. :mad:

17. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Ye my friend also thought that the Riot Squad were crazy for screaming you suck.... Although how is you suck any worse then the booing you hear at NBA and NFL games? And the NHL is straight out vulgar compared to MLS...

18. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its NOT worse.

But the soccer moms don't go to those games, so what do they know?

19. USfootballFAN

USfootballFAN New Member

May 19, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Fkcu soccer moms. Next time I see one I'm going to punch her in the face. Kidding! I'm kidding! Everyone relax. :p

20. bhlightnr

bhlightnr New Member

Jun 18, 2005
    Pasadena
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thank you Crookeddy, that was the point I was trying to make!

21. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    About Naldo or about Hartman?

22. taco jones

taco jones Member

Dec 23, 2003
    This team continues to test my patience. So much so, in fact, that it takes me upwards of 72 hours to build up the will to chime in on the post-game thread.

Glad Herc, Ned, and Enfield got minutes. I think that's all I have to say.

I was actually happy to see Naldo go after the ref after the game. I know he sucks complete ass, but at least he showed that he cares about the team. I showed that I care about the team by spewing profanity towards the ref, line judge, Naldo, Pando, and Mamba. A dad showed he cared about limiting the amount of profanity his children ingest by staring at me with an angry, pleading look. Realizing that perhaps I had caused irreparable damage to children's vocabulary banks, and now resigned to the fact that I'm going to hell, I showed Jesus who's boss by actively coveting my neighbor's wife and refusing to pass the salt when asked at the dinner table later that night. Spot in hell now more than secured, I vow that I will spend my eternal damnation lobbying the Hell Concessions Department to charge $83 for a bottle of water, and will take pleasure in watching Doug Hamilton cry tears of ash as he then realizes why he is but a fiery spectre in a fiery pit and not trading zingers with John Candy's ghost on the 15th green at Heavenly Cloudhurst Country Club.

I caught the last half hour of the USA-Cuba match. I saw alot of similarites between the US team and the Galaxy, most of which being a near-comical inability to put the ball in the net against inferior competition, and a dependence on Landon Donovan to right the ship and make things happen.

23. FakeHuman

FakeHuman New Member

Jun 3, 2005
    Southern California

Hey I resent that...
    I am the parent in an AYSO family and I yelled for roughly the entire second half "HEY Ref.. YOU SUCK!!", I also booed naldo, my whole family did we share the hate for Naldo.

24. nrHartman

nrHartman New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    your mom's house
    Geez....I watched that last second goal again....What in the hell was G defense!? Or should I say, where in the hell were they!? It looked like about 5 or 6 jerseys playing ring-around-the-rosie at the top of the box! Could the revs have had any MORE touches then they did before the ball went in? Was it 3 touches or 4 before they hammered the ball into the top of the netting? Just shameful.... :mad:

25. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Be assured: Your rep is piling up in the Cosmos with each chant. Well done, soldier, well done.