Galaxy vs. New England July 4 Post-game [R]

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Bill Schmidt, Jul 5, 2005.

1. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I think Naldo's been our most consistent player. He's been that bad in every game...

Memo is out injured. Which puts him just above Naldo on my team depth chart...

2. Chupacabra

Chupacabra Member+

Aug 2, 2004
    Westwood, NJ
    Pando has taken 43 shots in 12 games with 0 goals. That's almost four shots a game with no results. Worst. Shooter. Ever.

And what was the deal with all the '80s music (including several Madonna songs) before the game and at halftime? Did AEG hijack a DJ from a gay disco?

3. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Grabavoy i think showed SS that he can start for are team.

4. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    I thought Grabavoy looked good out there in the first half, but by the second half he seemed pretty tired. Of course, who do you put in for him? We had no one who can play central midfield except Enfield. I though they were going to substitute Enfield for Ned, but Gordon also needed to be taken out and we have no other forwards to use. Between Gold Cup and injuries, this is going to be a long month.

5. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Thanks for the info on Memo. And I agree that saying Naldo played his worst game is taking bad into a whole 'nuther level. The flaw I really noticed is that he was extremely slow to react to the play around him, and always last to the 50/50 ball. I don't think I've seen him play 90 in person before, and he was out of it.

6. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Uh, Grabs and Nagamura did not control the midfield. Gordon and Naldo together represent no threat. Our backline is the only bright spot - that and by the $10 parking they are letting the folks with the bacon-wrapped hotdogs back in....

Grabs had a good game - pfff, delusional.

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hey, leave my delusions alone. I'ld like to walk away from that game with something - ANYTHING - positive.

Don't write off Gordon so quick. He actually showed more speed than I thought he had, and schooled the outside back for NE a couple of times to get across nice crosses. He has very little MLS PT, so its way too soon to decide he can't play. Besides, unlike Naldo, he actually seemed interested in the game and willing to work.

8. FreeNachos

FreeNachos Member

Apr 10, 2001
    North Hollywood, CA
    Club:
    Kansas City Wizards
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    GriFF:
    You're soooo right about the food vendors. I'm e-mailing the Galaxy today to ask about putting up my own coffee/hot chocolate cart. Of course, it would probably ruin their monopoly but hey, make fans happy and they'll come back. Why is the HDC is soooo bland?

Geneva:
    Same to you...let's sell some sweatshirts. Again, HDC: bland, sparse food and merchandise vendors.

On the game...Topper and Chupacabra (did either of you guys run over to the tunnel to yell at the refs? Because I think you brushed past me.) You can't blame the tie on stoppage time. It's a rough estimate. Of course they let the Revolution have that one last shot on goal...they always do that. Also, let's not split hairs on time. Remember, stoppage time started on a looong wait for a free kick.

Anyway, what would you say if the Galaxy scored a second goal in stoppage time? Attributing the other teams goal to extra time is a defeatist attitude. It implies that your team isn't as good as the opponent and extra time will only expose that fact.

Hallelujah! Michael Enfield got that second chance he needed to prove that the first whiff was just my-feet-are-going-faster-than-I-can-think jitters. Nice header!

9. avocats

avocats Member

Nov 24, 2003
    Pacific Northwest
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Right on. Stoppage time=whatever Revs need to score

Refs sucked, esp. linesman on bench side.

10. tomjedrz

tomjedrz New Member

Mar 28, 2005
    I was at the game last night, and was disappointed at the officiating, even before the stoppage time fiasco. He seemed inconsistent, sometimes calling fouls on harmless shoulder-to-shoulder pushes, other times letting guys get hammered with nothing given and no advantage. That he waited until the 81st minute to pull his cards the game was clearly a problem, given that he repeatedly warned verbally.

My recollection of the Fox reply on the news was that the goal was at ~3:40 of stoppage time. I am TiVo'ing the replay tonight, and will post an update after watching tomorrow.

One more note .. the referee was quick to show the Yellow when Naldo confronted him, and appeared to do so out of anger. It was striking, because he had been getting complaints the whole game and ignoring them. It reminded me of a baseball umpire. Having been a referee myself, I suggest that the quick trigger usually means the ref knows he screwed up, and is more angry with himself than the player ...

11. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Gordon didn't suck too bad. And this is the end of things Sampson did well.
    Grab-ass should never kick another corner kick ever. Sampson should have figured that out.
    Naldo just doesn't care. Sampson should be motivating his players.

About the 40th minute I was thinking: Goodness, this is a poor display of soccer. Sampson was brought in to give us some "attractive soccer". Three points is pretty ********ing attractive by my sense of aesthetics.

The kids that set up our goal seemed to be having fun, which was a welcome change. Sampson's fault that the rest of the team isn't.

Too much clock-watching at the end = two points we didn't get. Sampson's fault.

Sampson needs to be sent back to Costa Rica. I'll put up his airfare if he promises never to coach another team I care about.

After watching the Chivitas on Saturday, this ref looked like @#$%ing Collina. Of course, that ref actually *did* look like Collina with glasses, 'cept for the part that he had never seen an actual Soccer match before.

12. Rafa

Rafa New Member

Aug 16, 2004
    Well Cadaver, I wasn't aiming that at you per se, and I'm all for giving Grabs more time, but I think we did not have any control of the midfield yesterday.

The Revs do look pretty good - even that makeshift team. They are big and fast - like Bolton Wanderers this past season in the Premiereship. They just took control of mid yesterday, we seemed to be playing long ball.... Shalrie Joseph played very strong against us....

Bacon wrapped hotdogs = Food of the Gods.

13. Baysider

Baysider Member+

Jul 16, 2004
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy

Just watched the tape, it was Enfield for Cobi, but he did play up top.

I think controlling the midfield is a bit of a high standard. Early in the season when we were controlling the midfield, it was because we were playing bad teams and Donovan and Kirovski were coming back to help the four midfielders. I'm just happy to see some creative passes out there.

14. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    I was at the game, behind the goal under the restaraunt. Worst atmosphere I ever experienced at the HDC. Outside of the huge turnout for the Riot Squad, I felt that we could fall asleep! Of course it could have been because the game sucked.

And suck it did. Hartman's distribution is nightmarish. The lets kick the ball as far away from our goal as possible is moronic. Naldo is clueless. Grabavoy was OK, but he's not quite Landon Donovan. Cobi was useless.

I'd go with Enfield as being the only sign of life, cuz hell, he coulda easily had a hat trick!

Oh ye almost forgot. Pando! Was he supposed to be our #10? He kept falling, and trying to shoot down some airplanes iwth his shots.

15. patfan1

patfan1 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 19, 1999
    Nashua, NH
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was scored at the 3:22 mark of stoppage time.

16. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It is nearly 3:00 and I am still depressed. That was a HORRIBLE game. I joked to my season ticket buddies that without all the top attacking players on both sides we were probably looking at a 0-0 tie. It should have been.

Hartman was MOtM regardless of what the PA jacka$$ said. He made three world class stops, the best of which was against Twellman on the header in the 2nd half. Watching the replays showed that his defenders let him down. Gomez was caught ball watching and too many players ran to the first ball. Kev has never had great foot skills and tonight it didn't hurt us, but better distribution might have helped at times. And did you see Ries' throw across midfield in the first half?! On the money!

Our defense was better that average although Ugo is much better in the middle, and as someone else posted, we miss Albright storming up the right. He makes Cobi a better player. Dunivant can be my left back for the next ten years. He's solid, but not great.

Ned, Ned, Ned. You had your big chance, and I don't think you played poorly, but let's finally quit asking why this kid doesn't start more. He doesn't defend in the middle at all, and he's not a real threat to score. Shalrie Joseph got the better of him all night and Cancela was all Nagamura could handle. Pando, just score one fvcking goal this year, please!

Up top I like this Gordon kid, although I can see his skill set is more Jovan Kirovski than Brian McBride. At least he won a few balls in the air. Naldo was a worthless piece of crap yet again. I would play Enfield ahead of him the rest of the year. I love the kids heart. He could have quit after the booing he got on his first flubbed chance. Chisoni, is now just another draft pick that didn't work out. Can we get a healthy Josh Gardner please.

The crowd was OK, but if the atmosphere was poor it was because of the foul odor coming from the field. Poor passing, terrible finishing, and yes the vendors at HDC are ruining the experience. We had a newbie with us and his pre-halftime pizza run took nearly 30 minutes. Oh yea, and will that PA jacka$$ refrain from playing cheerleader. We don't need that crap. I've got the Galaxian drummers on my left and the Riot Squad yelling their hearts out on my right. What I miss are the passionate fans who came out for Cien and Pescadito. Landon's teen legion ain't cutting it.

Anyone notice SS2's homage to Bob Bradley? ;) I guess desperate times call for desperate measures, eh. I hope Tim Leiwickie (sp) is quietly looking for a long-term replacement for Bozo the Steve and his "other brother Darry"l Hamilton. Sleep tight boys. I'll be here next year, will you?

Someone on another thread suggested that we write to management and ask for them to take a specific action in regards to our complaint. Would it be too much to ask for you a$$holes to quit fvcking up my team.

Thanks, another satisfied season-ticket holder.

17. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're not kidding. Last night, I was sitting in my normal seat in 109, with Mrs. Cadaver and my daughter and a friend. I admit I am louder than most people in 109 (duh...) but, out of respect for my wife and daughter, I kept it clean, mostly positive (Come on Cobi, Good job Tod, Way to pressure them, Ned) - all innocuous. But loud. So, I had three young Latinas (two in the row ahead of me, one two rows up, telling me to be quiet, and ostentatiously puting their fingers in their ears every time I yelled something. Now I know am loud, but holy moley, if they wanted quiet they could have gone to church (which I gently pointed out to them). Apparently it is a breach of decorum to yell for your club.

18. nrHartman

nrHartman New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    your mom's house
    Who gives a crap!? Yell all you want! It's a freakin soccer game! I lost my voice from yelling last night! Of course I keep it clean just out of respect for little ears. But come on. If they wanted quiet, they could have waited to buy a ticket at that other smaller stadium just to the south! :D

19. Geneva

Geneva LA for Life

Feb 5, 2003
    Southern Cal
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I watched the whole sequence of events, and the card was pulled out when Naldo spiked the ball in the direction of the ref. It was kinda like a T when the basketball players slam the ball in anger. I don't think Naldo gave the ref (Kennedy?) any choice. He was acting like an idiot & didn't stop until Vagenas came over & pulled him away.

20. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    Good thing he had saved up his energy for that.

21. blech

blech Member+

Jun 24, 2002
    California
    i agree. nothing out of the ordinary on this card. even if the ref had been lenient on cards or more specifically dissent during the match, this was after the match. no reason for him to put up with it then, and no excuse for what naldo did (while he pounded the ball into the ground, i would have understood had the ref felt momentarily threatened).

contrary to tomdredrz's post, i don't think showing a quick yellow here was an admission of anything, but trying to diffuse the situation quickly and making clear that the inappropriate conduct had to end immediately. (i was not impressed with the ref throughout the game, but didn't see anything wrong with this yellow and don't understand why there is all this fuss, err whining, about the stoppage time. unless you're just going to be a homer, 3+ minutes was reasonable given the subs in the second half, and it's not surprising that he allowed them to take the kick. he made a bunch of other bad calls, but we ought to own up to what happened here and not make that guy the scapegoat for something that is our own responsibility).

by the way, does anyone know - what was naldo so upset about? was it the amount of stoppage time? did he think there was a foul on the play that led to the goal? or before that? or just months of frustration? or what? i saw him get whacked in the face for a no-call as he was trying to beat a guy on the sideline, but i can't imagine it went back to that play. anyone actually know what was being said?

22. crookeddy

crookeddy Member+

Apr 27, 2004
    Just a tradition of galaxy players going after refs after the game. Anyone remember the ref running away from Cienfuegos a few seasons ago after the game?

23. nrHartman

nrHartman New Member

Jul 5, 2005
    your mom's house
    He was probably frustrated that Kennedy called the game as soon as they touched the ball. I thought that maybe the ref could've let the Galaxy put together a few passes before he blew the whistle, but the more I think about it and look at the stoppage time on fsc (I tivo'd it) it was still a fair end to the game. Kudos to the rev's for not giving up and shame on the galaxy for letting a long shot through. Also, I'm pretty sure it was in this thread, but the guy that was bashing Hartman b/c of that last second goal is pretty weak. The man had an awesome game otherwise coming up with key saves that kept the Galaxy from conceding all three points to the revs. There was one in particular where he made 2 consecutive saves in a row with the second save being especially amazing. I thought it was going in but he somehow flipped his body the other way to block a header that was a sure thing. A clean sheet is not the sole responsiblity of the keeper. There are only so many breakaways and counterattacks that a keeper can stop. He was awarded MoTM. Besides that flash of brilliance for the Enfield goal, the most exciting gameplay was in the Galaxy goal box. You're kidding yourself if you think he is going to lose his starting position anytime soon. So frustrating to give up a goal that late though....still steaming over that.

24. Rodneyd444

Rodneyd444 New Member

Aug 28, 2004
    La Habra, CA
    With watching all the goals on the Decade voting page; I noticed a lot of them from the past were from mid-field, why don't any of the players try to score on a long ball any more? If I were the coach, I would have most players, especially the forwards practice shots from at least the midfield with Gato to get the angle correct to score. I seems to me that on a lot of occasions the G's forget which side is their goal- they pass the ball back towards the other side in lieu of pushing the ball forward towards our goal.

Also, that Circus- Reject Midget Kennedy should be banned from the HDC, he has allways went against the G's and in favor of what ever other team is playing. I am sure if the score would have been Rev's 1 G's 0, the "3 minute" stoppage time would have been a lot less than 3 minutes.

25. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The ref was not the reason we didn't hold on to the points. And give credit to Kennedy - he didn't alter the game with phony ticky-tack penalty kicks etc. I'll take Kennedy any day of the week against Bozo Marufo or that absolute idiot Valenzuela.

Naldo was diving all night long, and then when he didn't get the call he was lying on the ground waving and pleading with the ref (not that Naldo would have contributed anything to the team if he had been on his feet and in play.) He was getting more and more frustrated as the ref wouldn't listen to his whining again and again.

The only beef I have with Kennedy is that he didn't give Naldo a red card and take away from Steveo the temptation to give Naldo more PT next game.