PBP: Galaxy @ Rapids • Sat., July 16 • 7pm

Discussion in 'Colorado Rapids' started by unkiemark, Jul 15, 2022.

1. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    The Rapids have a pretty good record at home v the Galaxy. Hopefully it continues.

There certainly will need to be some squad rotation and I would bet that Priso will be part of the plan. We know Price won't be available, so Priso is an option in the midfield. Also, Rubio will most likely be a starter after coming off the bench midweek.

Will Fraser come out in something like a 4-1-4-1 again?

1547917646418493440 is not a valid tweet id

2. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Oh my, another game? With I-70 being shut down, it’s a 0-0 tie with only a few scrubs making their way to Dicks in time for the game. Lewis has a breakaway—he ran to the stadium—but hits the Eighteen76 sign. Richard Fleming says, “Just a little bit outside.”

I may change my prediction tomorrow.

3. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Hoping someone scores a Gashi-esque banger this weekend:

If a goal like that goes in for the good guys, my weekend will be good. I’ll never forget that goal. What a game too.

Sports Yak, AlbertCamus and unkiemark repped this.
  5. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Looks like the I 70 eastbound closure will also impact eastbound traffic on 270 eastbound. And traffic is already issue on a normal Saturday, so it looks like it will be worse this weekend.

AlbertCamus repped this.
  6. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    2-2. We are not good, the Galaxy are not very good, we are at home, and we should have scored more on Wednesday, the Galaxy don't have good defenders, but the Galaxy have good attackers.

7. Sports Yak

Sports Yak Member+

Jul 17, 2007
    Lakewood
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    1-1 tie. Cannot predict a win until they actually win a game. Zardes goes back-to-back.

I’ll miss the game to watch a play in Boulder. It used to hurt to miss a Rapids game. This year, it’s kind of a relief. Let me know if/how the new guy plays.

8. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Priso having a heck of a debut tonight. I’ll put him over Warner everyday of the week. Can’t wait to see him next to Price

Shame we’re not up 2-0. Hard call, but fair call, on the Rosenberry offsides. He was clearly offsides on the replay, but even though he ducked out of the play he was still well in the goalies line of site.

Yarbrough with a heck of a save too.

Let’s score two more and put this game to bed everyone!

JasonMa repped this.
  9. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Also side note to Rubio. He’s pinging long balls everywhere and that goal!? *chefs kiss*

10. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    Also, (last half time post, I promise!) Wilson is having his best game of the year so far. Man he’s done a really nice job - and he showed some wheels!

Paranoid Coyote, AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  11. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Wilson and Lewis were fantastic tonight. Those two often make me wanna pull my hair out but the last two matches they have been stellar, making the right decisions, and helping not harming the team. Well done, boys. We need you both to continue this form. Big win tonight. Huge win, in fact. Hopefully we are starting to turn the corner.

12. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    AlbertCamus and JasonMa repped this.
  13. rapidsmarc

rapidsmarc Member

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Nov 20, 2019
    Wilson with a MOTM performance followed closely by Rubio, Zardes, and Lewis. Priso looked very good. I hope the halftime sub wasn't for an injury. Absolutely HORRIBLE officiating. Fraser's yellow card was a necessary response by the coach, and we scored immediately after. Coincidence? Probably, but good to see Fraser let 'em have it!

AlbertCamus repped this.
  14. AlbertCamus

AlbertCamus Member+

Colorado Rapids
    Sep 2, 2005
    Colorado, USA
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Great night, team played really well in front of a big crowd. LA offered little. Agree that Rubio much better in this deeper role, playing long balls. Zardes getting more service. So fun.

15. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+

Mar 20, 2000
    Arvada, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently Priso said in his pregame interview that he wasn't at full fitness yet, so I'm sure that's all it was.

jrowe13 repped this.
  16. TheWarmBurger

TheWarmBurger Member+

Colorado Rapids
    United States
    Aug 7, 2018
    Arizona
    From his own words, the altitude really got to him - unsurprisingly. If you’re not at full fitness in the first place, and then trying to play a fast paced game, with a new team, and all at altitude….not an easy task!

E2F3F33D-F598-4E54-881E-D7AE66C5A236.png

17. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    At today's STM "Meet the Rapids" day, Fraser confirmed this. He said he has confidence in Priso. Had seen him develop in TFC academy system beginning ag the age of 14 or so and has seen him develop and expects him to get continue to get better.

I thought Priso played well last night given how little time in training with the Rapids. He was in control and didn't make in any big mistakes. He a solid intervention at one point and also made an on point diagonal pass which seems to be a requirement for starting an attack in Fraser's system.

JasonMa repped this.
  18. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    #18 unkiemark, Jul 17, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2022
    Last night thre was a point in the second half when there was a non call on an apparent foul committed on Nicholson. Fraser went was going nuts, he was as angry as I've ever seem him going after thee fourth official and not letting up. This got him a yellow which seemed to play a role in the second goal as after the restart Lewis intercepted an ill-advised back pass and neatly rolled the ball to Zardes for the goal.

Today at the STM event I asked him if it was the first yellow card he received as a head coach. He paused for a minute and said no. In response to a follow-up question, he stated that what set him off was the disallowing of Zardes' first half goal off the corner. Said something to the affect that is was a "bs" call. He was getting visibly worked up talking about it.

19. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    Some interesting discussions about the effectiveness of certain players in last night's victory. What caught my attention about Rubio is something I don't think can be statistically quantified, that is his ability to hold the ball with one to three touches when under pressure and then make a smart pass at just the right moment. In many cases he could have made a pass sooner, but by holding onto the ball just for a few seconds more his teammates are able to get into more advantages positions to receive the ball. This helps to relieve pressure and/or get the attack going. I've noticed this more in recent matches since he's been playing more of a #10 type of role.

AlbertCamus and safcfan repped this.
  20. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  21. Riccardo55

Riccardo55 Member+

Mar 11, 2001
    Denver
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AND watching the LA Galaxy implode vs. Tim Howard in the PK's after OT.....also, Gashi was hurt in that game and was never seen again as I recall.
    R

22. Quinn 33

Quinn 33 Member+

Apr 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #22 Quinn 33, Jul 18, 2022
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2022
    This is one of those games where everything just seemed to click and everyone played well. Even Danny Wilson, as much as I rag on him, played well. In fact, it's probably the one of the best (if not THE best) defensive performance I've seen him play. I think the team overall plays a lot better when we have a 4-man back line. Positioning is much better an everyone seems to know where they need to be. Transition play through the midfield also seems to work better. Playing 3 CBs only works if you have 3 guys that are really good and highly mobile.

Zardes played well and I'm glad he got the second goal because its bullshit the first one got called back, even if it was "correct" via some technicality. That header would've gone in no matter what. Rubio continued his renaissance year and I have been really impressed with with ability to switch fields if he sees open ground. Barrios was tormenting LA's defense on that side, and Lewis is playing with confidence and swagger.

Hopefully we start seeing more games like this. We're gonna need them if we want to climb back above the playoff line.

23. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
  24. unkiemark

unkiemark Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Boulder
    1549958706418180096 is not a valid tweet id

AlbertCamus and COMtnGuy repped this.
  25. JasonMa

JasonMa Member+