Galaxy, Chivas Gain TV Deal !!

Discussion in 'LA Galaxy' started by Cesc, Nov 12, 2004.

1. Cesc

Cesc New Member

Jul 9, 2004
    Hong Kong
  2. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Alright! I call it a major victory for MLS! Let's hope it's just the first of the benefits from adding Chivas.

No, I'm not discounting the Galaxy's sea change increase in TV coverage and presence in the L.A. market. They get more than half the credit here.

3. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    So what does this mean for FSW and FSW(espanol)? Will they still be showing games as well?

4. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What this really shows us is that MLS, SUM and AEG were smart enough to let Chivas into the game AND tie up their TV rights so the Goats couldn't go cut their own deal. Now, not only does the stadium revenue go into AEG's hands but the broadcast rights too. I like it.

On a sour note, I still don't get Fox West or Fox Sports2 easily through my San Diego cable provider (Time Warner) so I'm still stuck with the MLS Shootout, or whatever the hell they call it now. Between that and my 10 game plan, I barely have enough $$$ for delicious BWHD in the parking lot (but enough). What I really don't have is time to work around the house. Sorry Honey! And she wants to know when I'm going to stop playing in the men's league. Silly wife.

5. guamster

guamster Member+

Mar 30, 2001
    Winnetka, CA
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    Guam
    If by "FSW," you mean "Fox Sports World," then yes, FSW will continue to show games at the national coverage level, as will ESPN2. Fox Sports West 1 & 2 will provide local coverage, for games not on ESPN2 and FSWorld.

6. christopher d

christopher d New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Weehawken, NJ
    I didn't get this from the article; perhaps one of you did. Is KCAL-9 now shut out of the MLS picture?

7. The Cadaver

The Cadaver It's very quiet here.

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I am confused by the rebranding, but I THINK what we used to think of as Fox Sports West (1 & 2) is now Fox Sports Net (1 and 2) - so "FSW" is no longer ambiguous. It only means Fox Sports World.

8. aaron90025

aaron90025 New Member

May 1, 2003
    W.Los Angeles
    I hope this deal will also open the door for different play-by-play announcers to compete for coverage of the games. I mean is it just me or does ESPN2 put you to sleep with their golf style approach. Please bring in "real and exciting" play-by-play commentators who won't just sit there and talk stats during the game.

great news nonetheless.

9. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So you don't think Ross Porter would be the right guy for this job....

10. TrickHog

TrickHog Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Los Angeles, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Very good news for us and the league.

11. jscott23

jscott23 Member

Manchester United
    United States
    Jan 24, 2003
    Poway, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Laughed my ass off!

Now about those other 20lbs. I need to lose. But seriously folks, is Christian Miles the worst guys you've ever heard. I wouldn't mind having Chris Sullivan do color along with Allen Hopkins as BPB. Bretos is so full of himself, and we sure as hell don't need any Brits, unless Toby Charles is available. My $0.02.

12. GIO17

GIO17 Member

Nov 29, 1998
    Fox Sports World will still show Galaxy games wheather they are on FSN West & or FSN West 2. Will KCAL Still show some games, not sure. Not in your area. But still happy to see that the Galaxy as well as Chivas-USA will have a home for their coverage.

13. ElJefe

ElJefe Moderator
    Staff Member

Feb 16, 1999
    Colorful Colorado
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just to confuse you even more, they're rebranding themselves again, and putting the region back in. They're now "FSN West" and "FSN West 2." Not "Fox Sports Net West," mind you, but just "FSN West."

I wish Fox would make up their minds. This is only the 47th time they've changed it in the last five years.

14. ZiggyGalaxy

ZiggyGalaxy New Member

Sep 22, 2004
    Anyhow...good news, all around...

15. rhino_rulz

rhino_rulz New Member

Jun 18, 2002
    Santa Monica
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Article ...

AEG President Tim Leiweke is trumpeting a new deal to air at least 40 Galaxy and Chivas USA games per season locally on FSN as a watershed moment for the league. Leiweke: “Suddenly, we’re in a position where we have a major sports carrier that sees soccer and believes it’s as important as baseball, hockey or basketball.”

At least 40 MLS Galaxy and Chivas USA matches “will be televised locally on” FSN West and FSN West 2 next season “as part of a groundbreaking broadcast move” by the Galaxy and AEG. The agreement is “a ‘hybrid’ deal that includes both a rights fee and a revenue sharing arrangement under which [FSN] and AEG both will sell commercial time.” Chivas USA “yielded its sponsorship sales and broadcast rights to the Galaxy as part of the agreement that allows” Chivas USA to play in L.A. and share The Home Depot Center with the Galaxy.

AEG President Tim Leiweke: “It’s probably the largest, most important regional sports deal done for any team in MLS. It’s going to capture a lot of attention. Chivas USA will be part of that relationship. ... It is a major step forward for MLS. It’s a very good rights fee deal.”

Leiweke added FSN has “some unique visions on what they’re going to do with these two soccer teams as far as their programming. Suddenly, we’re in a position where we have a major sports carrier that sees soccer and believes it’s as important as baseball, hockey or basketball. ... They think Chivas USA is going to break through in a way that they have been unable to break through with other teams”

16. The Cadaver

Oct 24, 2000
    La Cañada, CA
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see the vision now....

All Max, all the time

Fox Bretos Net 1, Fox Bretos Net 2

And coming soon ... Fox Bretos Classic.

17. WHOLMAN2

WHOLMAN2 New Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Lahs Angeleez
    I don't think K-CAL 9 is out. 40 matches for two teams (quick math bears out 20 matches for each team) indicates that a minimum of 10 Galaxy matches will not be televised by FSN. Since some of the 10 will be on ESPN, a few will be left possibly for K-CAL.

This is great news for AEG, considering the negative news pertaining to San Jose and the Metros in the last two weeks or so.

For all of the "purists" who act like somebody pissed in their Cheerios when they found out that Chivas was entering the league, this deal with the FSNs is just another reason to like Chivas. Not necessarily as a team, but as an SUM partner.

Finally, fans dating back to the inception of MLS wondered which investor-operator would be able to do what owners of MLB, NFL, and NBA franchises do:
    1. Secure an exclusive stadium for their team
    2. End up in the black at the conclusion of the season
    3. Secure a rights fee for TV coverage

It took nearly ten years, but congratulations AEG! Hopefully the company will be able to duplicate the success with San Jose, Chicago, DC, and the Metros.