Galarcep's 23 man roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Apr 15, 2006.

1. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    by that reasoning then there should be Zero MLS players on our roster

2. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well,perhaps distinguish between MLS and a combo of MLS Euro,and on Hustletown's lineup we see that the keeper and defense are all Euro save Pope,five of seven mids have at least some Euro experience,and three of five strikers have Euro experience.

So yeah,most of the team has some Euro experience,and interestingly the part of team with the least Euro experience is the part that we are all pulling our hair out over.

I support MLS,but be real folks,our best players play at least some of their careers in Europe.

3. The Toe

The Toe Member

Mar 30, 2002
    SF Bay Area
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Forget about expereinece with this comparison. General Berkahlter is past his prime. Ask yourself these two questions: When he is on the field, who does Spector face? Who does General Berkhalter face?

No contest. End of Debate. Spector goes to Germany.

4. kebzach

kebzach Member

Dec 30, 2000
    Greenfield, WI
    Since it doesn't sound like you care enough to alter the formation or lineup for the individual games, I'm guessing that, under your leadership, we'd be back home by the time that round 2 started.

5. SkyBlueCity

SkyBlueCity New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Boston

I like the team as well-but have some issues with the starting defense. How do you start Onyewu over Pope? Dempsey or JOB over Convey, but he will be a spark at subsitute. It seems the concensus is that we leave Hejduk home (though he looked great against Norway), bring both Spector and Berhalter (experience, experience in Germany--though he probably will not get too many minutes).

6. AndyMead

AndyMead Homo Sapien

Nov 2, 1999
    Seat 12A
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    Considering he got one out of six MLS results right, I'm not sure how much I read into the rest of his column.

7. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Fixed your post-facto ...

8. soccerplayer11

soccerplayer11 New Member

Jan 30, 2003
    You all are crazy to take Berhalter over someone like Conrad. Did anyone watch the Germany game? Conrad also was injuried in the Germany game and had double hernia surgery since then. Looks like his 1-0 victory over the Revs with the lone goal shows he is healthy. Compare caps over the last year as well. Conrad is leading the defense in caps and minutes played for the US defense. Why take the aging 33 year old when you can take the primed 28 year old? The only way Berhalter makes it would be his brothers connection with USSoccer.

9. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I didn't like picking Berhalter, but think Bruce will pick him because of his experience in Germany. As a back-up center back, he very likely won't see any meaningful time.

SkyBlue, not sure how my having Onyewu as a starter is shocking in the least. Pope may have a shot at the other starting CB position if something's not quite right with Gibbs (or he plays LB over Lewis).

There shouldn't be any questions about Onyewu's status regardless of the other players, especially after the Poland match in addition to his exploits at the Gold Cup and qualifying.

10. USA4Life

USA4Life Member

Feb 10, 2002
    I think the soccernet lineup is the one Arena would take, but not mine.

I would take Albright over Hejduk, Casey over Twellman and Ching, Rolfe over Wolff.

Albright and Hejduk are very similar except Albright is younger, fouls less, and is better in the air.
    Casey is much bigger than Twellman and Ching. He will be very useful defending set pieces.
    Rolfe has a better first touch than Wolff and is faster. The Wolff of 2002 is no longer here.

11. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    I'm sorry, but Conor Casey isn't even in the picture and was mentioned only here because of one goal he scored on March 23. How he is even in the equation because he is Big is just poor in my sentiments, he has done absolutely nothing on the team and Nruce Arena has not praised him even the sightest if I remember. And if Arena isn't thinking about him, then please, stop thinking about him as a man on this roster.

12. Soccer_Lancer

Soccer_Lancer Member

Jun 30, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Club:
    Orlando City SC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree that it's fairly simple...

McBride backed up by Johnson
    Donovan backed up by Wolff

Beasley backed up by Convey
    Dempsey backed up by Beasley or Olsen

Reyna and O'Brian backed up by Mastroeni and Olsen

Lewis backed up by Hejduk
    Cherundolo backed up by Albright

Onyewu and Gibbs backed up by Pope, Bocanegra and Berhalter

---------------------------------------------------------------
    I think Ching would go over Twellman because of his size but Cooper should get a look me thinks.

Zavagnin and Conrad would have to be considered as back ups. Spector wolud go if we needed another outside back.

I would take Adu over Rolfe because of his creativity if we needed a back-up playmaker.

13. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Goalkeepers:

Keller
    Marcus
    Howard

Defenders:

Cherundolo
    Hejduk
    Onyewu
    Gibbs
    Berhalter
    Pope
    Lewis
    Bocanegra
    Albright

Midfielders:

Reyna
    O'Brien
    Dempsey
    Mastroeni
    Convey
    Beasley
    Donovan
    Ralston

Forwards:
    McBride
    Johnson
    Razov

14. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    The very fact that we are still wondering and debating players like Hejduk and Berhalter is what frustrates me most about Arena.

There is NO way that we should still be considering these guys with some of the young talent MLS has. He shoulda blood-let those kids a long, long time ago and worked them into WC players.

I would love the USSF to have the groin to bring in someone like Houllier to teach US soccer coaches and players alike for the future.

Man, I would love to see what kind of team he'd (or someone like him) put out there for 2010.

15. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Houllier is pricy... Dick Advocaat may be quite reasonable however.

16. BenfromUSA

BenfromUSA Member

Jan 20, 2006
    Minneapolis/St. Paul
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    you should be complaining about olsen, zavagnin, ching etc.

berhalter and hejduk have already proven that they are world cup caliber players and they were also key cogs to qualification success.

17. SkyBlueCity

SkyBlueCity New Member

Jan 29, 2006
    Boston
    We absolutely agree on Berhalter--these are the reasons he will go as a sub. With regard to Onyewu, I just don't see the experience you register putting him immediately in the starting lineup. I think the guy is a huge talent, but, while he had a great game against Poland, the work in Belgium and all the results against CONCACAF opponents do not prepare you for Totti and Rosicky. Plus he is physical and that means yellow cards and set pieces with International officiating. I still see Pope and Bocanegra or Gibbs in the middle with some mixture of Lewis, Cherundolo and Spector on the outside. Obviously we will see during the "Farewell Tour".

I do want to make a comment on the discussion of MLS players versus proven internationals. Obviously I tip my hand there, but I find it very intriguing that there are so many people in BigSoccer that advocate the inclusion of Conrad, Zavagnin, Albright, Ching, Rolfe, etc. over Hejduk, Berhalter, Spector, etc. Folks, there is a reason that some of these guys are planning in Europe and the rest play in a 16th rated domestic league (I think that was the ranking I heard, recently, but I cannot document it). The good news is that we have options and should be able to field a competitive 11 with tactical options for subs. Go USA!

18. Martin Fischer

Martin Fischer Member+

Feb 23, 1999
    Kampala. Uganda
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, genius, step up to the plate. Which "kids" should Arena have brought in earlier to replace Hejduk and Berhalter. I look forward to being amused.

You never watched Liverpool under Houllier?

19. Raulduke

Raulduke New Member

Feb 16, 2006
    Shreveport, LA
    Are you kidding? Gooch is quite possibly the best player on the field for the US and is without a doubt the best CB on our roster. This is almost as bad as Celo's comment that Heydude was fighting for a starting position with Dolo.

And as for Berhalter or Spector, it should be a no contest hands down to Spector. Berhalter is just too slow. And, if you want to bring him for his experience, I don't see that either, he made some huge mental errors in that Germany freindly.

In midfield, I don't care for Zags, Olsen or Klein and dont think we need them because Donovan will most likely be a mid on the WC team. My starting XI:

---------------------Keller

Dolo---------Gooch-------------Pope-----------Gibbs

----------------------Reyna

Beasly-----------------------------------------Convey

-----------------------Donovan

----------McBride----------------------EJ

20. CincoDmayo

CincoDmayo New Member

Feb 24, 2006
    MFin CLEVELAND OHIO
    For the love of god people, DMB will NOT play on the right, Gibbs will play CB before RB and Lewis will start at LB before Gibbs. IMO.

21. TrueCrew

TrueCrew Member+

Dec 22, 2003
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Ives is close to on the money. Except for a couple:

1) I think we'll bring 4 CB's and 4 WB's. Thus, no Berhalter. If we bring 5 CB's he definately goes. The 2 backup WB's spots are up for grabs between Hejduk, Albright, and Spector. Too bad about Spector's injury, I think he deserved to go. Defenders: CB's: Onyewu, Gibbs, Pope, Bocanegra. Reserves: Berhalter, Conrad. WB's: Cherundolo, Lewis, Hejduk, Spector. Reserves: Albright, Dunivant. (depending on Spector's injury, move Albright up).

2) I think with the way our forwards are playing, Donovan will play more up front. So maybe we take only 3 "forwards", and add another midfielder. Thus, Wolff, or Twellman (more likely) gets dropped. Our forwards will be, McBride, Donovan, EJ, Wolff. Another middie gets to go along with Olsen, I'd say Ralston or Noonan.

3) Still a chance for someone to come off the pace at forward or as an attacking midfielder.

My 23: * = starter
    GK: Keller*, Howard, Hahnemann
    D: Cherundolo*, Onyewu*, Gibbs*, Lewis*, Hejduk, Pope, Bocanegra, Albright. (Spector if healthy). Alternates: Berhalter, Conrad, Dunivant.
    M: Reyna*, Mastroeni*, Beasley*, Dempsey*, O'Brien, Convey, Olsen, Ralston. Alternates: Noonan, Zavagnin.
    F: McBride*, Donovan*, Johnson, Wolff. Alternates: Twellman, Rolfe.

22. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i think truecrew is close to reading arena's mind...

although ralston is very problematic and I don't know if donovan gets counted as a forward...

still there are two guys who are questionable, and right now the separation isn't all that clear...

olsen sees to have an up arrow...

twellman a down arrow...

bit that can change in two weeks

23. United20

United20 Member

Feb 26, 2001
    New York City
    Arena should not bring Hejduk who is just awful. Spector is a much better RB, the position he plays at Charlton. Hejduks USMNT minutes should have gone to Marvell Wynne back in December.
    As for Berhalter, there is no way with a conscience mind can any coach justify this guys inclusion. Arena has in central Boca, Gooch, Gibbs and Pope mixed with Spector. Nuff said about that.
    LB is between Gibbs, Spector and Lewis - damn good variety. RB has Steve, Spector, and Olsen if need be. Forget Albright, he can not play the international game - he is a liability.

24. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    Perhaps then you can explain why, so far, Albright has outplayed Spector as a member of the national team, even though he only plays in the 16th rated domestic league?

25. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    arena had praise for albright after the jamaica match....

i'd bet albright is the 4th outside defender announced on may 2...