Galarcep's 23 man roster

Discussion in 'USA Men: News & Analysis' started by keller4president, Apr 15, 2006.

1. keller4president

Jan 5, 2006
  2. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
  3. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it comes down to Berhalter or Spector I would pick Spector, we've got 4 guys, Berhalter, Gibbs, Gooch, and Pope who are all solid in central midfield. I always pick a guy on the way up rather than a guy on the way down. Plus Spector can play several different positions, and has a more attacking mentality than Berhalter does.

4. Sean Donahue

Sean Donahue Member

Aug 31, 2001
    Massachusetts
    Umm how is that a fact? And is form not very important for a goalkeeper?

5. Soccerprep

Soccerprep Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Lafayette, LA
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This is the exact squad I picked weeks ago, perhaps ESPN should hire me...I will write a weekly column for them, and they could fly me around the country to develop ideas for my column and watch some soccer.

6. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Spector is playing and getting decent grades for Charlton, a team in the Premier League, which is better than Bundesliga, which in turn is better than Bundesliga 2.

Oh, and Gregg sucked vs. Germany.

Plus, I think Ching makes it before Twellman.

After Jamaica, I may have to agree on Olsen over Zavagnin.

7. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If we put Greg Berhalter on the field we are screwed. The guy is an utter disaster. IMO his inability to defend led to the goal given up to Germany in WC02, he played extremely poorly in the Confed Cup in France, and he was absolutely a disaster vs. Germany most recently. The guy simply cannot play the position at an international level, and will cost us.

8. Dr.Phil

Dr.Phil Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    Club:
    FC Bayern München
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

No I dont think Ching is ready for a WC

9. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    Yeah, the only way I see Berhalter making the team is if Arena decides to use Gibbs at left back extensively. I can imagine Gobbs spending some time out there but more in a lets close out this game we're winning rather then as an everyday starter.

10. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    As much as I want to see Spector play for the US, playing a handfull of matches for a team that perfects the 0-0 draw doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

I'm far from a Berhalter fan, but the guy has ridiculous experience on his side, including two fantastic matches at this thing called a World Cup a few years back.

That more than anything else will win out over Spector. Besides, Berhalter/Spector at this point is 4th in the pecking order to get off the bench for central defense. If that case pans itself out, I'd much rather have a player with years of experience over a kid who has played about 1/2 of a Premiership season.

Contrary to popular belief, players do from time to time have bad games and Berhalter certainly couldn't have stunk any worse against Germany. He has a lot more very good matches on his resume than that one clunker.

11. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md

????????

Do you mean the pathetic foul called on Eddie Lewis that preceeded Germany's goal? Or are you reffering to Tony Sanneh and his non-existent marking on Ballack?

By the way, Berhalter had nothing to do with either of those plays and also had what amounted to a goal being called back had the ref or the linesman been paying attention.

Berhalter played and defended well in both matches against Mexico and Germany. And those just coincidentaly enough happen to be two of the biggest matches the US has played in recent memory.

I shudder to think what a nervous Spector would have done given the same chance.

12. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I think Hejduk has eliminated himself from the final roster with his performance against Jamaica. The last impression he's left in Bruce's mind obviously wasn't a good one, and the poor performance in general is why he delayed naming the first draft World Cup roster.

The MLS pool, outside of Dempsey/Donovan/Pope and maybe Olsen has been very unimpressive of late. Really, Donovan hasn't done anything either lately. I know he's a good player, but it just seems like he lacks a true attacking instinct at times for the Nats.

My Opinion on the WC Roster

* Starters

Keepers (3)

Kasey Keller*
    Marcus Hahnemann
    Tim Howard

Defenders (8)

Oguchi Onyewu*
    Eddie Pope
    Corey Gibbs*
    Steve Cherundolo*
    Eddie Lewis*
    Carlos Bocanegra
    Jonathan Spector
    Gregg Berhalter

Midfielders (7)

Claudio Reyna*
    John O'Brien
    DaMarcus Beasley*
    Pablo Mastroeni*
    Bobby Convey*
    Clint Dempsey
    Ben Olsen

Forwards (5)

Brian McBride*
    Landon Donovan*
    Josh Wolff
    Eddie Johnson
    Taylor Twellman

Left Corner- Convey/Beasley
    Right Corner- Donovan/Convey
    Free Kicks- Convey
    Penalties- McBride

I'd play with a straight 4-4-2 ideally with Reyna/O'Brien in the middle. I just don't believe in any of our D-mids that much, but if JOB/Reyna can't start then fall back into the Diamond with Mastroeni at DM.

I'd love to have another winger. We might do good with Brian Mullan or Freddy Adu (if he was right sided). Too bad Mullan didn't learn how to cross last year, or he'd be on the roster. Adu is one of the best passers in the league, one of the fastest/most creative and a better set piece player than Donovan in my opinion. Just too soon for Fredster.

I'd like to see Donovan up front just because no one else is stepping up at forward. Donovan doesn't really have the instinct to play A Mid against top tier competition in my opinion. Force his aggression by putting him up top.

I'm only going 8 defenders and really don't like including Berhalter. Bocanegra and Spector are interchangeable parts who could fill in at any spot in the back if needed.

Some players I'd love to have on the roster but either haven't performed as well as they could, haven't gotten the look, not ready, etc.:

DM Ricardo Clark
    WM Brian Mullan
    WM Freddy Adu
    S Edson Buddle
    S Kenny Cooper

13. aueagle1

aueagle1 New Member

Aug 4, 2005
    Washington DC
    I think that Galarcep is likely correct, but I would take Spector over Berhalter and, now, Bocanegra. Spector is steady and can fill in at multiple roles. Berhalter, despite his excellent perforfance for years ago, is a gamble. I have found Bocanegra's performance uninspiring. However, both have the experience on Spector and I expect that Arena takes both instead. I don't think that it will be a problem either way.

14. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it's Hahnemann or Howard, yeah, maybe.

If it's Keller, I've two word for you, Ives...

Brad. Friedel.

15. Maximum Optimal

Maximum Optimal Member+

Jul 10, 2001
    While I agree with your recollection of those two plays against Germany, I don't think Berhalter played well in the 2002 Germany match. Whenever he was isolated against Neuville he did a very poor job of closing him down. Gave him way too much space. I believe Berhalter would have the same problems against any forward with any sort of quickness.

16. camasterton

camasterton Member

Jun 26, 2001
    North Carolina
    The best roster! From your post to Arena's lips I hope!

17. BED-STYPUNDIT

BED-STYPUNDIT New Member

Dec 20, 2005
    Brooklyn/Boston
    Berhaulter didn't play well aganist Germany as he respected an overrated Oliver Neuville too much, and why would Spector be nervous? You shouldn't doubt a 20 year old and automatically assume he'll be nervous. Even veterans of many World Cup get nervous, and Berhaulter is capable of many mistakes, so don't discredit Berhaulter just because he has experience. Experience doesn't guarantee placid pastures on the pitch .

18. WC2010Champs!

WC2010Champs! New Member

Sep 4, 2004
    Charlotte, NC

ill take your roster. i love having spector on the roster. I am worried about beerholder. he is 33 years old and he was slow when he was 23. we will be playing some fast individuals in 8 weeks and i dont want him to see the field. the only other open position was the last midfielder, i dont like olsen but he has "won" the position. olsen does have a few things going for him as well, mainly that he plays d-mid and r-mid. If he goes, he is clearly man 23 though. I, like you, wish clark and adu had made a push as it would have really prepared our team for 2010 much better.

19. lurking

lurking Member+

Feb 9, 2002
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It could have been Lewis's foul. I do remember Berhalter giving up some fouls high and wide. Anytime he was pulled out to the side he was awful in that game.

And yeah, he can have "good" games. As long as hes not exposed at all in the back to either pressure or has to close down an attacker in space. But hes utter trash if hes not protected.

Hes a weak defender, he has been exposed more than once. Frankly I wouldnt rank him much above Tim Regan, and I am not a Tim Regan fan. The guy just isnt good.

20. mj23drj

mj23drj New Member

Sep 27, 2003
    Harrisburg
    Yeah, if I remember correctly, Jeff Agoos had a lot of experience last WC Too ! That certainly didn't turn out too well, did it ?

21. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I hope this is it. If anyone had any doubts about Hejduk, the Jamaica game should have left no doubt - getting burned on the goal and then that horrendous tackle - easily a red card if it were not a friendly. The group stage will be tough enough without having to go down a man at the ten minute mark. If one were to pick Hejduk for his experience, then how do you explain those two incidents? He can't expect to go to Germany after that showing with the US having talent in the wings. I can't remember seeing more studs pop up on a 2-footed tackle. Ugly!!!

Spector can do a lot. He plays solid defense (in one of the top leagues), can move forward, has excellent ball skill, AND can play any of the back line positions or possibly a midfield slot. He should also be in top physical shape. Another reason I would like to take Spector is an eye on 2010.

22. USA2010?

USA2010? Member

Mar 23, 2006
    What do you mean? He hit a perfect volley right into the net, ugh..our net. Oh yeah, good point. Never mind.

23. sidefootsitter

sidefootsitter Member+

Oct 14, 2004
    Dude, come on ... he was 29 then, he is 33 now and slower than molasses.

Meanwhile, Spector can play all along the defensive line while Gregg can only man one (stationary) spot.

As to Ching vs. Twellman ... we'll see.

24. supershark

supershark New Member

Jan 10, 2006
    From Ohio, now Texas
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

agreed on spector...i feel much more comfortable about a player who is continually chosen by an english manager in the premier league to play against the likes of rooney, henry, cisse, and drogba (all guys who will be the class at the world cup) regardless of his age. not only that, he has played fairly well. i see this as better experience than what berhalter had previously seen at the world cup 4 years ago and what he is seeing now in bund 2. i assume spector would understand the room for error against those guys in the EPL will roughly relate to the world cup if he were to see the field. i dont see berhalter stepping his play up to the world cup from bund 2. i think this was evidenced by the germany match.

25. Hustletown

Hustletown New Member

Mar 12, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    That's the great thing about Spector's experience this year for me, and exactly why he should be on the roster. He's had guys like Steven Gerrard running at him, and not looked out of place. He's been named to the all EPL "line up of the week" at least once, and received praise from his manager on more than one occassion.

What other defender in the US player pool has held their own with EPL players running at them this year?