GAINED faith experiences

Discussion in 'Spirituality & Religion' started by dasoccerplayafosho, Jul 23, 2006.

1. HerthaBerwyn

HerthaBerwyn Member+

May 24, 2003
    Chicago
    #26 HerthaBerwyn, Aug 3, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
    Thats what JoePa did.

ps. I think youve busted my ignore list cherry. Id like to thank the little people who made this possible...

Chesco United repped this.
  2. luftmensch

luftmensch Member+

United States
    May 4, 2006
    Petaluma
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure, the guy in your sig for one. And Stiltonfc's the most prominent around here. I doubt most want to bother with showing their face in this forum, tends to be more of an atheist playground.

I'm more along the lines of a perennialist myself.

3. FormerGermanGuy

Mar 1, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Fulham FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes, but they lie low for the most part. The liberals and atheists pretty much won BigSoccer years ago. Sad to say as a liberal atheist, but I found it more interesting before.

CeltTexan and Chesco United repped this.
  4. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    What changed your mind?

5. Solid444

Solid444 Member+

Jun 21, 2003
    I am a theist, but not a convert.

6. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    #31 argentine soccer fan, Aug 13, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    I don't know if it's a matter of laying low. It is useless for a Christian to argue with an Atheist about beliefs.

Christians can argue with each other if they accept certain basic dogma. I suppose they can argue with non-Christians who accept certain premises. For example, if a Christian and a Muslim both accept the Bible as divine authority, they can have an argument about how they each interpret it. And to a lesser extent a Christian might even be able to argue about God's attributes with a non-religious Theist, if they have in common some sort of experiences they might possibly attribute to God, like for example the concept of the power of prayer.

But how can somebody possibly argue Christian doctrine with a person who doesn't accept the Bible's authority or even the possibility of God's existence? There is no chance for any serious discussion. Any argument they build from scriptures or from experiences they may attribute to God will have no weight. The response will simply be, "so what?".

As far as general philosophical arguments about God's existence, we had plenty of those in this forum, and of course it was inevitable that they were inconclusive. I was personally involved in some very interesting arguments with other posters. We debated, it was fun, and it's done. I'm not going to keep coming back to debate the same ideas time after time. But if somebody comes up with something different, I might find it interesting to comment on it.

CeltTexan, luftmensch and fatbastard repped this.
  7. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Having said that, it's becoming very likely as we speak that a significant event will take place within the next half hour that could give significant weight to certain aspects of Christian doctrine, including the idea of a Christian God who is involved in influencing human events. Stay tuned.

8. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    And the unthinkable miracle happened!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

CeltTexan, luftmensch, song219 and 3 others repped this.
  9. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yes. Yes there are.
    In my case I grew up a devout Episcopal-RCC agnostic. There are a lot of us in the U.S. Also, I was pissed at this "God" for all the right reasons.
    Then God showed up in my life in the form of the blessing of dating this incredibly attractive Argentine female tennis player/model from Buenos Aires, as well learning from her family!
    I mean the unconditional love a son will receive from a Latina mama can only be surpassed by the beatings a son will take from an Irish mom.
    God it turned out, really is love. I thank him everyday for putting me in a place for so many years to then take me out of that life and have me live the rest of my life knowing just how bad it used to be. Everyday for the last 20 years has been a blast amigo mio! Thank Christ!!!

10. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Did you date Gisela Dulko? Or maybe Gabriela Sabatini?

If so, I would like to shake your hand!

11. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nope.
    But Delfina did one thing even better for me...introduce me to Argentine football. Well there are two things I reckon, introducing me to football, her father's club CABJ, and introducing me to empanadas soN!
    Y'all live a great life down there ASF.

12. Catracho_Azul

Catracho_Azul Member+

Jun 16, 2008
    New Orleans
    Club:
    Corinthians Sao Paulo
    Nat'l Team:
    Honduras
    No Muslim thread? Boo.

13. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    You're welcome to start one.

14. CeltTexan

CeltTexan Member+

Sep 21, 2000
    Houston, TX USA
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Perhaps start a "People of the Book" thread catracho.
    As Islam arrived last outta the 3 major monotheistic religions and as well how Islam identifies from the Koran that Jewish and Christian believers are people of the book, are people of the God of Abraham. Perhaps use that specific reference. Just a suggestion if serious about having a Muslim thread as you posted.

15. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. song219

song219 BigSoccer Supporter

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I'd say that most people identify Mormons as Christians. At least most Mormons identify as Christians.

Ismitje repped this.
  17. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    The church I grew up in considered Mormons to be a cultic offshoot of Christianity.

18. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    That's essentially the view we had in our church as well. They had Christian roots, but were decidedly other.

19. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    I know that some believe that Mormons aren't Christians but I don't think that is a majority opinions. I've know people who don't consider Catholics Christians.

20. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    We classified Mormons with the Jehovah's Witnesses and the Moonies.

21. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the first Christians were Jews that the Jewish faith did not (eventually) consider Jewish.

To be fair to the Roman Catholics (my family), they were here first (before the Protestants).

Some of the Christians being killed in Iraq predate the Roman Catholics and the Eastern Orthodox people.

Egypt's Christians may also pre-date the RC EO churches.

22. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Bump, I started attending a Vineyard Church this year. I'm sure a lot of people there would disagree with me about a great many things, but so far, so good. They seem to have a passion with helping the poor, which I appreciate.

23. song219

Apr 5, 2004
    La Norte
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Vanuatu
    You're a year early. This thread to be bumped every 8 years.

Chesco United and roby repped this.