GA Cup 2020

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by kinznk, Oct 11, 2019.

1. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Someone with technological savvy than I could follow through on this perhaps. I saw on Twitter that a company called spiideo.com is streaming a bunch of the games from qualifying from Philadelphia and KC. I cant quite figure out how to find a link to a list of games. #gacup on Twitter could get you there.

2. TimB4Last

TimB4Last Member+

May 5, 2006
    Dystopia
    There's a general DA thread - borrowing a recent post ...

kinznk and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  3. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    U15 GA Cup Games
    Date Match Time Location Live stream
    Oct. 11, 2019 Sporting KC vs. LA Galaxy 1 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/860e8582-54a3-4d43-ab4e-676ef106f3de
    Oct. 11, 2019 Minnesota vs. San Jose 3:30 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/10bde10f-f033-4dc1-9265-9403e257b92f
    Oct. 11, 2019 Chicago vs. Seattle 6 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/9232ee00-91a3-49ad-895e-677f80ead8a4
    Oct. 12, 2019 LA Galaxy vs. San Jose 1 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/5681ea77-b60f-4dbc-adb8-4c8dd5900986
    Oct. 12, 2019 Seattle vs. Sporting 3:30 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/be4d2639-519d-4203-b0d8-93b3b381b644
    Oct. 12, 2019 Chicago vs. Minnesota 6 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/d63c4215-e6fb-4610-afbd-4f48f826ba96
    Oct. 14, 2019 LA Galaxy vs. Chicago 9 am CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/2b63b943-1ff3-4645-af1a-2e76195cd42d
    Oct. 14, 2019 Seattle vs. Minnesota 11 am CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/00e67b37-3f9b-44a9-8db5-8ef2f66884fd
    Oct. 14, 2019 San Jose vs. Sporting 1 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/99b6e7ec-d51c-49ff-90f0-4d0c884da635

U17 GA Cup Games
    Date Match Time Location Live stream
    Oct. 11, 2019 Minnesota vs. San Jose 1 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/868936ac-89f5-4f9c-8177-1e13857462ce
    Oct. 11, 2019 Chicago vs. Seattle 3:30 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/8b8e2134-5e14-411f-9f99-8db6f6274fa7
    Oct. 11, 2019 Sporting vs. LA Galaxy 6 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/33b72f90-3cd0-4c53-a665-0b097a580538
    Oct. 12, 2019 Chicago vs. Minnesota 1 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/e9797855-161a-45a0-9a39-623dda1b0984
    Oct. 12, 2019 LA Galaxy vs. San Jose 3:30 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/6d92f78a-67ca-443c-a3f8-cdce8edfa952
    Oct. 12, 2019 Seattle vs. Sporting 6 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/59c88825-6ae5-4410-bd25-fed83545b15a
    Oct. 14, 2019 Seattle vs. Minnesota 9 am CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/13812ef2-c682-470b-a0ae-b2fe4fbd716e
    Oct. 14, 2019 San Jose vs. Sporting 11 am CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/9eff2f9c-8a84-4aa1-ab24-f5c90ece210f
    Oct. 14, 2019 LA Galaxy vs. Chicago 1 pm CT Swope Soccer Village https://play.spiideo.com/games/b30f6188-e16e-4a15-8e5a-7c82d77417ed

kinznk and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  4. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    https://www.philadelphiaunion.com/2019-gacup

kinznk repped this.
  5. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    MNUFC over SJ. Game was scoreless, and MNUFC tops the shootout 5-4

kinznk and TimB4Last repped this.
  6. kinznk

kinznk Member

Feb 11, 2007
    Thanks. This is what I wanted to link for others. I couldn't find it and dont know how to embed tweets in the message. I should learn.

7. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    DC United vs. NYRB:

Moses Nyeman (‘03): Moses had a good game. Not a huge impact, but that was more a product of how the game played out. He was efficient and one of the better players, despite not dominating, like he can. NYRB played dirty and fouled him every time he touched the ball, so there wasn’t much space to operate and make many incredible plays. A lot of quick touches. They were hitting him off the ball and adding extra force to fouls. He’ll have to get used to this, but the referee had no control of the game. He was playing as a #10 in this game, which I think suits his game the best. One thing that I think is evident with him playing at this level is that he thinks a step ahead of everyone else on the field at all times.

Jacob Greene (‘03): I thought he was good. Struggled some defending Toure, but his game gets lost in the grand scheme of things. He’s a good all around LB, who could carve out a good pro career.

Kevin Paredes (‘03): Definitely a quieter game. Didn’t like his decision making in this game. A few moments of skill, but he wasn’t all that good.

Others: Jeremy Garay (‘03) is a good holding mid at this level, but I’ve long said I don’t see big potential. It’s possible he could have a pro career in MLS or an equivalent level. Juston Rainey (‘03) was playing LW. He’s fast and can dribble, but I think he’ll need to be a RB to maximize his ceiling. He’s not that good offensively that he’d be a very dangerous winger going forward.

NYRB:

Dantouma Toure (‘04): Toure was excellent. I would say only about 10% of the time watching these types of games I’m surprised at what I see from these prospects, but I was surprised how well Toure played. I had heard he was a big talent and had seen him play before and thought he had potential, but I hadn’t seen him play anywhere close to this well. Toure has dynamic athleticism. You can tell his dynamic athleticism by the way he runs. There are plenty of good athletes in these games, but the ones with soccer skill and dynamic athleticism have an idea how to utilize their athleticism to their benefit when they are in the attacking third that the athlete only players don’t.

Toure was playing as a #9, but did drift out right at times. I think he’s definitely a #9. He’s not that tall (about 5’9), but he has good enough size to play as a striker and his game is more about running in behind the defense than holding the ball up. He has excellent footwork and a moderate amount of creativity when dribbling 1v1. He can beat players with pace whenever he wants. He can be out of control at times with his decision making, but I don’t think his soccer IQ is worse than average. He scored a goal in this game, although it was more of a keeper error.

Kenan Hot (‘04): Very dependable central midfielder. He can play as a #6 or #8. He was playing as a #6 in this game. He plays an all around style in CM. No weaknesses, and no huge standout strengths. Plays well every game I see, despite never being a star. Reminds me a lot of Michael Bradley (when he was in his prime).

Others: Joseph Zalinsky (‘03) wasn’t bad at RB. Not a standout, didn’t look to have any big strengths or weaknesses. A very typical NYRB academy product, and I mean that in a good way. He’ll probably have a productive pro career, despite not having huge talent. Not a real YNT caliber player though, IMO, although he’s not that far off YNT caliber. John Carlos Cortez (‘04) played at LB, and did pretty well shutting down Paredes. Another of these NYRB players that doesn’t have many big strengths or weaknesses, but his talent is probably a degree or two higher in most areas of the game than Zalinsky. I don’t know if he has huge potential, but I think he’s a helpful player to the ‘04 YNT as a left-footed defender who can play LB and LCB well enough. Not going to be a star, but a good player.

8. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Fully developed 15 yo, graduating next spring? Count me sceptical.

9. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    So you're suggesting he's older than he claims? I don't get the thought process that goes along here.

Even if let's say he was 17 and was actually born in 2002 (I highly doubt this is the case, but for the sake of argument I'll go along), he's still very talented. The amount of players in that year who can accelerate onto a slip pass in behind the defense is non-existent among Americans that age and mostly non-existent existent around the world. Even if he was that age, he's not dominating little kids by being bigger and stronger than everyone else. He was playing in his own age group here (a game of 03's and 04's), and he was around average height and strength. He also usually plays against older players in the NYRB academy.

Toure's talent isn't something that I think is based much on the typical areas of the game that age cheaters succeed on. He has excellent footwork for a striker and dynamic speed. I'm not suggesting this guy is an age cheater, but a player who fits the mold of an age cheater would be a player like Ayo Akinola. His success came from powering through players his age. He was physically much stronger than everyone else. He physically looked like a linebacker. He wasn't even that fast, and he lacked in most areas of the game, but he could play bully ball. That is not how Toure plays.

Tim Weah was 6'0, very fast and of African origin (usually the players that people claim are age cheaters) at the same age as Toure. Was he considered an age cheater? They are similar players, but if anything, Toure looks more skilled on the ball and shorter, which wouldn't be common of an age cheater.

Patrick167 and gogorath repped this.
  10. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    #10 butters59, Oct 12, 2019
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2019
    Everything is possible. Moukoko is super talented 12 yo dating 18 yo girl, Freddy was great on a ball, stopped growing at 12, and an academic genius, what still shows. Ayo is your regular beast, he is still a beast among adults. Weah looked like a stick at 15. For me it's hard to buy a story of a fully developed great player who is graduating a high school at 15. Can he be really talented anyway? Of course.

El Tuca Ferretti repped this.
  11. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    It doesn't make much sense, but it's not unprecedented in society. I'm sure you've met people who graduated high school at 16 or college at 20. I've met people like that, and I'm sure most other people have. These types of things happen enough that we shouldn't use that as the basis for saying he's lying about his age.

If we are going to use the "African player" line of thinking as the basis (the line of thinking a lot use for Moukoko), we'd also need to apply the same thing to Nyeman, Bello, Chifamba, so its more than just Toure. It's theoretically possible any of these players are older than they claim, and it is true that in Africa there often isn't the same level of record-keeping as on other continents. Some countries like Nigeria also have a consistent history of having this same problem, but I'd really doubt it as a problem with Toure. It usually is not a problem. I'm sure there's been the occasional US player who was older than claimed (I think this was proven to be the case for Abuchi Obinwa, born in Nigeria), but it probably isn't for the overwhelming majority of them.

12. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    How many of those brilliant scholars are also early bloomers and phenomenal athletes? I don't know any except Freddy of course. And "lying" is a wrong word, they might not even know their own age, many of those kids came from war devastated countries with no real documents. There is no advantage for athletes to claim being younger than they are that's just the shit that happened. But on another hand, so far none of those "prodigies" (Adu, Koroma, Nema, etc) reached the anticipated results.

13. gogorath

gogorath Member+

None
    United States
    May 12, 2019
    I think quite a few people could graduate high school early. I'm sure I could have knocked out the classes if I was really dedicated to it. It's not like 16 year old me couldn't have handled the work. And probably half of people in high school could pass the GED at 16.

Few people have the reason to do it, though. Except maybe people who know they are going to be a professional soccer player at 16. Or are really so brilliant they are ready for college at that age.

A lot of kids physically mature early, but only African kids get accused. I think that's the rub here. As 97531 here points out, it's not even really Toure's game, at least not in terms of physical dominance, so I'm not sure it's all that relevant.

Has Toure played for RB2 yet?

Patrick167 and ussoccer97531 repped this.
  14. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    OK. Graduating 2 years earlier after coming from French speaking country. Playing 3 years up and looking more mature than his teammates. Regarding "not his game", wasn't Adu's game either. Still at 18 he destroyed Marcelo who was 19 and had signed with Real. But eventually Marcelo's market value went to $70M and Freddy can record a message for you for $50. Doesn't mean that Toure isn't a great talent or won't be a big player, but everything is relevant.

15. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    SKC vs. LAG:

Nati Clarke (‘05): This kid is a complete star. There have been two players at youth level in the last number of years that I thought were “get you out of your seat good” with how dominant they could be and the raw skills they had. I would say that Clarke needs to be added to that list.

He runs the game from the CB position. He initiated the attack in multiple ways, whether it’s dribbling the ball up the field with speed and skill, combining with quick passing up the field or pinpoint long and medium range passing.

He’s a terror of an athlete. He’s well built, fast, a great leaper and wins every physical duel. In many ways, he’s incredibly similar to Araujo, but I think he’s an all-around better player. I’ve never seen an American CB at youth level with the audacity and skill that Clarke plays with.

His game comes with a lot of errors right now, but Araujo was the same way. When you play the way he does, he couldn’t possibly come out looking great on every attempt he makes at a big play. The talent level is so high that you expect the errors to be coached out of him eventually or limited. You don’t want to take away why he’s a star prospect.

Gage Akalu (‘05): Akalu might be the second best player in the birth year. He’s a really good #10. He had incredible footwork and dribbling skills. He’s also a good playmaker and a pretty good athlete. If there’s any area where he’s not great, it’s his soccer IQ. I wouldn’t call it bad and it may just be that he knows he’s better than the opponents and can get to clown them more often than he needs to, but he doesn’t always make the right decision.

Demitrious Tanks (‘05): I think he’s the only relevant prospect that played for LAG. As mentioned before, tremendous athlete at the CB position. Tall, very lanky, fast, covers a lot of ground. He carried the ball up the field once and made a few nice passes. I thought he defended pretty well. There was also some booting of the ball in possession, although LAG were completely outplayed, so some of it was to relieve pressure.

Javier Zaragoza ('05): I would say Zaragoza looks like the best keeper in the 2005 age group I've seen so far. Good height, comfortable with the ball at his feet, can make some tough saves. He's good in the air. There's the occasional error, and I wouldn't say he's the next Las caliber of keeper, but looks like a keeper with good potential.

Others: I can't find names for the SKC players because they don't list numbers on the listed roster on the DA page or their team website. This might not be very helpful, but these were the other players I thought looked like good players. #7 (small blonde kid playing RW) looked like a good player. I thought he was a CAM playing out of position because Akalu is a better CAM, but he could probably play either position. Looked physically like Thomas Roberts, and played like him. Good dribbler, good enough athlete, can combine and some skill on the ball. Decision making wasn't always the best.

#11 (smaller hispanic kid playing LW) was another good player. He's a very good passer with enough dribbling and athleticism. Might be more of a CAM, as well. #2 (smaller black kid playing RB) wasn't bad either, nor was #5 (big white kid playing LCB).

16. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    Tried to find any videos. No luck.
    http://spkc.ussoccerda.com/sam/teams/index.php?team=12103180&player=897001664

Winoman repped this.
  17. Clint Eastwood

Clint Eastwood Member+

Dec 23, 2003
    Somerville, MA
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nice win from the FCD U17s after an uneven start to the season (including a loss to the Whitecaps in their opening game here). FCD U15s also beat LAFC yesterday to go to 1 win 1 draw in this qualifying event.

Pl@ymaker repped this.
  18. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    1183155975999635456 is not a valid tweet id

19. TarHeels17

TarHeels17 Member+

Jan 10, 2017
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From that tape I'm surprised you thought Toure played that well. To me, it looks like an inability to use his body correctly, a heavy left foot that has some wildly inaccurate passes, and 99.9999th percentile athleticism. Color me skeptical.

20. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Atlanta United vs. Toronto FC:

Alan Carleton ('05): I didn't think he played that well, but I was very impressed in the skillset he showed playing in more of an advanced position than I've seen him play in the last few games I saw. The passing vision, small area skill, ability to wait out options, and soccer IQ was top notch. He only played the first half, but I liked what I saw. The execution wasn't there, but the talent looked very good.

Jonathan Villal ('05): He also didn't play as well as he can. He started out as the LW with Carleton as the CAM. Villal moved inside in the second half and was slightly better. He's definitely more of a #10 than LW. I would say that its a similar skill-set to Carleton, and I wonder how they are going to figure out how to use these two players in the same team as they look like the two clear standouts in the team.

Ty Wilson ('05): He's showing good improvement in his soccer IQ. He's a very fast winger with good dribbling skill, but has struggled before with his decision making. He was playing more with his head up, and not trying to always go 1v1 whenever he would receive the ball out wide. Sometimes he would look to pass the ball inside or combine with the fullback.

Italo Jenkins ('05): He only played the second half. I'd definitely say stock down from what I had previously seen. The soccer skill might not be there. He's obviously a physically dominant CF at this level. That won't be good enough at higher levels. He needs to combine that with skill.

Ty Nero ('05): I was impressed by his play at CB. Big, very mobile, made some nice passes. There were a few errors, but he's a U-15 CB, so errors are to be expected.

#81: I think this guy must be a trialist or he was brought in as a guest player from another academy. I looked at all their academy teams and could not find any record of who this guy is. He was really good as the LW in the second half. He was big and very fast, capable of beating players with athleticism when he wanted to, but he also had good foot skills and passing vision. He looked like a very good athlete who can also play. He definitely looks like a big-time prospect.

Others: Anderson Cruz ('05) was the LB in the second half. Looked pretty good dribbling with good technical ability. Not a bad athlete either. Can't defend, but he can work on that. Mathieu Brick ('05) played a basic game as the holding mid, but he can pass the ball adequately and defend. Mobility might be a problem. The keeper Elijah Buford ('05) is one of the better keepers I've seen so far in this age group. He made one or two saves, but mostly couldn't do much on some of the goals TFC scored. The defense in front of him wasn't good.

21. ussoccer97531

ussoccer97531 Member+

Oct 12, 2012
    Club:
    --other--
    Philadelphia Union v. RSL:

Marcelo Mazzola ('05): One of the best players in the '05 age group, IMO. Big, mobile, very skilled CF who can combine, dribble, score goals. Good anticipation in the box, versatile enough to play out wide because of his athleticism. Also made very good runs, and looked very smart. I had briefly seen him play previously, but was much more impressed with what I've seen here. Looks like a top talent.

#17: The Union are another team that doesn't list jersey numbers. This guy was the #8 in the team, and he was another very good player. Big, very mobile, a lot of soccer IQ, good passing and combining. Plays both sides of the ball. Looked like a very high level box to box midfielder.

LCB (didn't see the number): The LCB was playing pinpoint passes out of the back, and looked good defensively. Tall kid, mobility looked around average. Looked like a good player.

#9: This guy was playing LB: Very athletic, good dribbler. He could improve his passing and decision making. Defended competently.

Dominic Dubon ('05): Very smart player with good skill and good enough athleticism. Looks like you could use him in any of the three AM spots. Not the most skilled I've seen, but a pretty skilled player who I can see why he has the goal totals he does.

Aaron Heard ('06): Looks like a top talent in the '06 age group, although its too early to start ranking those players, and I've not seen most of the better 06's play. #10 who can dribble, pass, very high soccer IQ, created a lot of chances with his quick combination play and movement. Looked a step ahead of most players on the field, despite being a year younger than the other players. Good athlete, although he's definitely undersized.

RSL: No big standouts, IMO. They were outplayed badly. Aldo Carmona-Gallardo ('05), Raul Murrieta-Marquez ('05) and Marcus Vazquez ('05) looked like the better players in the team, IMO.

Luksarus, gogorath and USSoccerNova repped this.
  22. butters59

butters59 Member+

Feb 22, 2013
    With that last name.

23. dougtee

dougtee Member+

Feb 7, 2007
    who to watch today?

24. Jack0503

Jack0503 Member

Liverpool FC
    Sep 24, 2018
    Union 17s beat New England revs 4-0 today, Quinn Sullivan 04 had 1 and Caden Stafford 03 had a hat trick

25. BraveUpNorth

BraveUpNorth Member

Jan 21, 2016
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Minnesota lost a heart breaker today to Seattle. Minnesota was up 1-0 almost the entirety of regulation before knocking in an own goal in the last couple of minutes. Seattle then won the shoot out.

Minnesota's goal was scored by '06 Bajung Darboe, with the assist from '03 Patrick Weah.

TimB4Last repped this.