FYI: Pizza Wars: Chicago vs NY

Discussion in 'Food & Travel' started by metrocorazon, Oct 12, 2003.

1. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
  2. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    I eat New York style pizza at least three times a week. My life would have no meaning if Chicago style pizza was better.

3. elainemichelle

elainemichelle New Member

Jul 20, 2002
    Amen to that.

4. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Someone tell me, why are they doing a whole show about the battle for second place?

Sally's and Pepe's, to name but a few within 25 miles of the Elm City, are in neither New York nor Chicago.

5. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    The first (and last) time I ate Chicago style pizza (at Pizzeria UNO), I nearly threw up.

New York all the way, no contest.

6. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I nearly threw up the first time I got wasted on Jack, but that doesn't mean I gave up on it.

Everyone has bad experiences with things at some point in their life, but in most cases one shouldn't abandon that certain thing. NY pizza is great, there's nothing like a true New York pizza. By the same token, Chicago pizza is great and there is nothing like it. Personally I think Chicago style pizza is the best, but that's me.

PS, I would be more than happy to buy you a very good Chicago style pizza at a well known chain called Giordano's that is sure to please if you're ever in the area.
    Or, if you are ever brave enough to try Chicago style again, you can purchase you own online. They freeze and ship them anywhere in the country.

PS, Everyone has had some funky experiences at Uno's.

7. bert patenaude

Apr 16, 2001
    White Plains, NY
    Chicago style pizza is really good. I freely admit that I have been brainwashed. I also have not had good Chicago style pizza in NYC.

8. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's tough to get a 'style' pizza outside of the respective cities they're named after, though not impossible.

9. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
  10. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver
    Mr.Fid with possibly the best post of this year.

11. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    New York, even after several trips to Italy, New York Style is the best.

1.New York
    2.Italy
    3.Chicago (and to be honest I'd rather not eat pizza then have it Chicago style)

12. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    why does everyone just ignore st. louis style?

13. supersport

supersport New Member

Oct 17, 2001
    San Francisco
    I don't know why, but living in California I wouldn't even dream of nominating California style pizza. However, the Worlds greatest pizza dough tosser (7 time world champion) lives and has his shop in Pleasanton, Ca.

14. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That Chicago stuff looks pretty nasty. No thanks.

15. metrocorazon

metrocorazon Member

May 14, 2000
    YES NY WINS!!!!! BOOYA!

16. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not according to the 50,000+ people who voted on the Travel Channel website.
    NY: 21,000 votes for 38%
    CHI: 35,000 votes for 62%

17. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Main Entry: tough
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Old English tOh; akin to Old High German zAhi tough
    Date: before 12th century
    : difficult to accomplish, resolve, endure, or deal with

Main Entry: im·pos·si·ble
    Function: adjective
    Etymology: Middle English, from Middle French & Latin; Middle French, from Latin impossibilis, from in- + possibilis possible
    Date: 14th century
    a: incapable of being or of occurring b : felt to be incapable of being done, attained, or fulfilled : insuperably difficult

18. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    NY-style pizza - made with fresh ingredients, the dough tastes like it should (not 6 inches thick) & it's the "original" pizza that can be eaten for breakfast (great hangover cure) lunch & dinner.

Chicago-style pizza - the diner must fast for about a week, take several deep breaths and get to work. it's a chore, not a pleasure.

(BTW as i write - the Cubbies are blowing the game to Florida! hahaha!!!)

California-style pizza is an atrocity. If you put fruit on your pizza you deserve a slap upside the head.

19. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    Indeed3000.

It's not pizza if you need silverware. It's just a tomato-sauce-and-meat pie.

20. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ignorance is bliss.

21. nicodemus

nicodemus Member+

Sep 3, 2001
    Cidade Mágica
    Club:
    PAOK Saloniki
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Forget that thin junk and that stuff that's as thick as a couch cushion. In between is the way to go. I'm the only food expert I need.

22. panicfc

panicfc Member+

Dec 22, 2000
    In my chair, typing
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    There is no debate.

I've eaten pizza everywhere, as seen by my Panic's pizza thread and New York beats Chicago in my book, soon to be published by EatpizzaPress.

Chicago pizza is very very good, but New York style beats it. However, that said ....Connecticut has amazing pizza and is the best place to live in the world for a pizza lover.

I think they have 7,000 independent pizza places and a population of just over 3 Million.

23. The Double

The Double Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 11, 2002
    Denver

I was actually wondering why you didn't start this thread Panic. You are the pizza king around here. But yet, you haven't been to Grimaldi's. I feel sad for you.

24. SABuffalo786

SABuffalo786 New Member

May 18, 2002
    Buffalo, New York
    Buffalo, New York- Home of La Nova Pizzeria, voted best pizzeria in the country.

25. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    C'mon! There are 7,000 independent pizza places in the city of Hoboken (not to mention at least 10,000 bars). ;)

And for my pizza $, thin crust rules. If you have to chow on chewy crust it takes away from the sauce, mozzarella and topping. North Jersey has some great thin crust pizza places.

Chicago pizzas look like they were thrown together by a group of pre-schoolers. Messy garbage. Pizza making takes some skill. It's not like making a meatloaf or a stew. "hey that liverwurst & Spam would look good in a deep dish. toss it in there." Blech!