Future TV Theory/Ideas/Fears

Discussion in 'Philadelphia OT' started by joethunder, Feb 20, 2008.

1. Looper121

Looper121 Member

United States
    Jun 19, 2003
    Sec 104
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Oh No, we have DirecTV (NFL Sunday ticket) and as other subscribers know, you are SCREWED if you want local Philly sports. Yikes, looks like I'll be missing some away games if that would become the case...Frick on a Stick!

2. Cuchalain's Dog

Cuchalain's Dog New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Hey, I watched it for the articles...of clothing scattered behind Chastain. How come Mia Hamm never picked up on that trend?

3. TabLalas

TabLalas Member+

Mar 29, 2007
    Jersey
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As long as I don't have to hear Howard Eskin or that goofy/retarded tall, Clark guy from channel 10 talk about this club, I'm fine with that.

4. TheScarfMachine

May 1, 2007
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We'll have viewing parties, don't worry.

5. soccerdad1150

soccerdad1150 Member

Sep 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    John Clark -- yeah -- he likes to try to take on Howard, and Eskin just bitch slaps him left and right. Treats him like the little kid who tries to be cool by repeating what he heard one of the bigger kids say, only he says it out of context and they all just look at him and say, 'huh?'

Howard Eskin will NEVER talk soccer. EVER. The only guys who ever talked about it with any degree of admiration was Cuz and Steve on the Midday show in the leadup to the World Cup. But they are not really soccer friendly -- I called their show about two weeks ago, and told the screener I wanted to give them an update on the local soccer franchise. The screener put me on hold and then came back and said -- "they don't want to talk soccer".

Jamie Apody from channel 6, is VERY soccer friendly though, she played. Also did a story on our kids team in the lead up to our trip to Germany. Highly recommend reaching out to her.

6. Cuchalain's Dog

Cuchalain's Dog New Member

Dec 13, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    I like Jamie Apody myself- I watch 6 anyway, so its good to know we've got an in there.

7. phillypride

phillypride Member

Feb 10, 2007
    Philadelphia
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that the soccer-hating WIP hosts will probably bring it up occasionally just to tear it down, but won't really allow opposing viewpoints to be heard. Macnow, for example, seems to enjoy doing that. Cuz and Steve will probably be open to talking about the team when really big new breaks and the other sports don't have much going on.

I don't know whether I'd prefer the soccer hating or soccer indifference. I think indifference is unfortunately a necessary step between hatred and acceptance. I'm trying to decide if it's worth the aggravation to try to call WIP about soccer.

8. soccerdad1150

soccerdad1150 Member

Sep 22, 2007
    West Chester, PA
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The more we try to call and talk, the more they'll know we're a force. Try it. Just do what I did -- offer to give them an update.

We'll know we have arrived when they have a weekly 'soccer hour' or something like that.

Meantime -- and I'm serious here -- Bryan are you listening? Someone in ownership should look into buying time, like an infomercial, on WIP or 1210, on a weekly basis, probably for the six months leading up to the 2010 kickoff. Not now, we don't really need much buzz now. Depending upon how much it costs, they should seriously consider it as part of the marketing budget. Each show could showcase a player and feature an interview with management, and of course call ins from the rank and file fans and SoBs!!!!! Tell me that would not rock!!!!???

9. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A twist on that idea: An SOB Podcast.

It can grow over the months (years, decades, etc), and then it can slowly expand to include folks throughout the local media. Print, radio, TV, etc.

10. Adam Zebrowski

Adam Zebrowski New Member

May 28, 1999
    i suspect the crowded comcast schedule would drive the philly FC to cn8...

still, there's the spanish option with telemundo and telefutura being in play...

didn't telefutura have a sunday match of the week ???

add in a philly franchise, and i can see matches in spanish and english